People who run into animals ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is purposely running animals down. It's your imagination. Just because people don't slam on there brakes or swerve off the road to miss a animal and possibly wreck over a animal doesn't mean they are maniacal killers. I drove trucks axle for a number of years in PA. I can tell you, you were better off to just hit the deer then attempt evasive maneuvers and possibly wreck. I hit a goose once going down through a dip getting a run at a hill. Looked like a down pillow exploded. I could see if a car was behind me. He would have thought I hit it on purpose because I never hit my brakes. Point is animals don't belong on the road, thier life is not worth wrecking. I will make a bigger effort for dogs and cats, they are pets, wild animals, sorry about thier luck. Just too dangerous to avoid.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
We should absolutely take care of animals and all living beings for that matter, but lets not forget the HUMAN lives that we snuff out here in America every day though abortion. Nobody likes to talk about that.

Then maybe you should start your own thread about that. This thread is about animals.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Have you seen anybody do this ? ? ?
I have never heard of anyone deliberately running over a squirrel or other small animal.

The whole reason I posted is because I watched someone launch a poor crow 75+ feet in the air today on the freeway. There was a car behind them, but no car in the lane next to them. They didn't react at all, makes me really believe they thought "LOL KILLING ANIMALS IS FUNNY IM GONNA SEE HOW FAR I CAN LAUNCH THIS BIRD"

I I'll avoid any animal so long as it is safe to do so. There is no animal however, worth a hair on mine or my family's head to put us at risk to avoid though. If that makes me a psychopath, then so be it.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
You actually have seen people intentionally hit animals? Why don't you stop them and confront them?

I'm not a law enforcer? And I'd rather not deal with psychopaths.

To everyone saying "I doubt it was deliberate" that's what the other half of my reasoning is for. If you can't see an animal, don't drive because I don't want someone who can't see something in the road behind the wheel of a 4,000 pound death trap.

I've hit a rabbit, and maybe once a squirrel. Both were too fast for me to judge my surroundings and decide if it was safe to go around them, they were spinning around on the pavement at 500rpm by the time I checked for cars. I wouldn't blame someone for a situation like that. I blame people who swerve to hit animals, or clearly ignore a turtle in the road they could see from half a mile away, and easily avoid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123

The whole reason I posted is because I watched someone launch a poor crow 75+ feet in the air today on the freeway. There was a car behind them, but no car in the lane next to them. They didn't react at all, makes me really believe they thought "LOL KILLING ANIMALS IS FUNNY IM GONNA SEE HOW FAR I CAN LAUNCH THIS BIRD"

You're making a big assumption and got your boxers all wadded up. I've seen hundreds if not thousands of crows picking at roadkill and they always fly off before the car gets there. I wouldn't lift or swerve for a crow in the road based on past experience. Sounds like a greedy dumb crow. If the crow was on the berm and the car swerved over and hit it that's different but that's not what you say happened. The premise of the thread is true but the example is weak.

If I am driving in traffic or on the highway, it does not matter, I am not going to take evasive maneuvers to avoid the animal. I rather just kill the animal, no animal is worth a human life, and I rather hit it solid and minimize its suffering. If I am on rural road with no traffic, I will just stop and let the animal pass. Animals should be respected.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: horse123

You're making a big assumption and got your boxers all wadded up. I've seen hundreds if not thousands of crows picking at roadkill and they always fly off before the car gets there. I wouldn't lift or swerve for a crow in the road based on past experience. Sounds like a greedy dumb crow. If the crow was on the berm and the car swerved over and hit it that's different but that's not what you say happened. The premise of the thread is true but the example is weak.

Yeah, I don't aim specifically at birds, but I do nothing to slow down, they pretty much all fly away when you get close. Maybe that crow was sick and wasn't fit to fly away. It can be worse for someone to slow down or swerve. There's plenty of stories on how people swerved to avoid something and rolled over. Or stop for sometime and got rear ended by someone. In the local news, there was a woman who stopped because a mattress fell off a truck. The car behind her rammed her so bad, her trunk ended in in the driver's seat, she did not survive, might have been better for her to just hit the mattress instead of instantly stopping on the highway.

Some people are disgusting.

A chipmunk ran out infront of me a couple months ago and I laid down 2 black stripes trying to stop. I stopped, he turned around and went back across the road in the say he came from!

Given the story that was portrayed later on in the thread after all of emotion, I wouldn't have swerved or lifted either. Certainly would not have swerved to make contact, but the OP's projection of the driver gaining satisfaction from hitting the animal is perverse.

Around here, roos and wombats everywhere...our Roads and Traffic Authority specifically warn you, and part of our driver training is to not swerve.

Stupid Kangaroos will run along your headlight path, so even if you DO swerve, you'll get them, and possibly hit something else into the bargain.

Although... from the point of view of insurance companies... 1. hit the animal = not your fault; or 2. swerve to miss the animal, hit something else = your fault

There's just no thread in the world that can satisfy everyone on this forum.

You can see a crow from a mile away if your vision is fit to drive safely, and there was no reason for the person to be in the passing lane when the right lane next to them was empty.

They were either blind or deliberate in their actions.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I hit my brakes and put my car on angle to block 2 lanes of traffic so mother duck and chicks could cross the road safely.

Chicks looked like brown cotton balls slowly crossing road.

Did that with a mole once. Thing was scampering around in the sunlight. Didn't think moles did that, but it'd been a long hard winter.

Didn't see any hostility on any faces.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Stupid Kangaroos will run along your headlight path, so even if you DO swerve, you'll get them, and possibly hit something else into the bargain.

I've had a kangaroo that I just missed (with marginally dangerous braking on gravel) double-back for another crack at me. I think they're probably worth avoiding for a self-preservation, though. Wouldn't want an injured one next to me in the passenger seat.

Every year by the river that runs through my parents land there are snapping turtles that crawl up onto the road to either lay eggs or cross to the other side.....and people run them over on purpose, its not like you can't see them and they are never in the middle of the road.

makes me angry every time I see it.

Ever see a Post Turtle? Evidently it is a thing. Balance a turtle on a wood fence post.

I have seen one, in McDonald County Missouri. I did rescue it, I do hope it was not too weak to recover. There had been rain, there was a little water in the ditch. Placed it just beside the water.

When I was a kid we had a boy in the neighborhood liked to turn over turtles and leave them. Last I knew of him he did not turn out well. I rescued the ones I found. I am sure most did not make it.

Rod

Post Turtles Personified in life
Somebody put them there
They don't belong there
They got there anyway - and now don't know what to do
(Best to relocate them)

A couple years ago, while driving bus, I saw a carload of teenagers drive onto the far right shoulder of a highway to run over a large snapping turtle. I called it it, but never found out if they were caught. It made me so angry to hink someone would think it fun to do something like that. On the plus side, the turtle was large enough to possibly cause damage to the car.

My wife and I would always stop and put turtles in the back of the truck when we would see them in the road. Now this was out in the country and traffic was very sparse. We would take the turtles out to our farm and turn them loose. Our dog loved carrying them around in his mouth, although he would never hurt them. Now if I happen to see a turtle in the road where I live now and was to stop I probably would get run over by another car on purpose, or shot.

I've never intentionally hit an animal, but have had three deer basically run into me as well as a cat and a few birds. I always feel bad about it and do all I can to avoid them. I've stopped numerous times to get turtles off the road and into some water, and have picked up a few lost dogs and cats to get them safely back to their homes, possibly putting myself at risk. People and society can be judged by how they treat those less capable than themselves. I have heard of people who intentionally hit them. I absolutely would confront it something be who did that, again probably putting myself at risk. Psychopaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back