People who are paraplegic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Parking spaces ????

Well, that's kind of what Im aiming at. If they want to be treated equal, then they can wheel from the back end of the parking lot in the rain too.

If Im getting what the OP is claiming, than isnt this one of the logical ramifications?

Try getting from a wheelchair with an overhead hoist into a car in a standard parking bay...it's utterly impossible.

Some jerk, with a similar mindset to some here parked my sister in, so that when she finished her Lifeline shift at 1AM, had to drag herself and her chair in through the back of her hatchback, breaking her femur in the process.

At least someone was able to help her out of the car when she sat out the front of casualty blowing her horn.

Im not saying anything is right or wrong, and that story is terrible and indicative of why adaptations are necessary to support some of the population.

That said, let's play a scenario where you were parked in so tightly that you couldnt open your door to get into your car. How would you proceed?

1am is terrible and all, but IMO, and in this day of cellphones and all else, I probably would have called the police as an able-bodied citizen (particularly if my car was dented from others being too close). It sucks to be parked in, but public safety should be able to provide support (if nothing else, helping her to climb in from the back in a safe manner). If it was pride or desire to not bother people by doing it all herself, IMO that's sad, because there likely could be help available (any time Ive ever called the police for anything, someone has been there within 5 minutes) from someone paid to serve and protect the population, within a short time.

So it goes back to the initial post. Some want no help, and to be treated like a normal person. That's great and VERY commendable. But, with that treatment comes some bad situations that just plain stink... Or if it comes back to selective treatment, then is it really treating folks equally anymore? And, even if equality and equal treatment is desired, folks need to know their limitations and when to ask for help. If not, then it is just sad on all accounts.

I dont know the full story of what you posted, but why wouldnt/didnt she try to get help in some way, either from police, local folks around, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back