People who are paraplegic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to work at the Community College and I've met a lot of folks who are paraplegic. All of them told me that they don't like being helped because 99% of the time, they can do it themselves and it makes them feel "handicapped" or "inferior".

Ok, so while waiting to get my haircut, a man in a wheel chair came up to the door and opened it. As he was opening it, a young teenage female helped him open the door. When the man left, the lady gave me a bad look. So now I'm the bad guy? Geez whiz!

I'm all for helping the handicapped but society needs to learn too!!!

To the folks who don't know about the paraplegic: don't feel sorry for them, stop always helping them, don't make them feel inferior, stop acting like a sobbing kid in front of them. They are normal people trying to have a normal life and people are acting like they're some kid or some inferior race!

Last edited:
I hold doors and stuff for folks that aren't what I would consider handicapped, so I probably won't go out of my way to not help someone that is handicapped.

Funny, Just last week I saw a handicapped guy having difficulty getting himself and his wheelchair into his 'modified' car.
I guess I feel sensitive to how some guys like this might feel, so I asked "Would you like a hand there buddy?"
He said "I'm OK but you could take the arm rests of the chair"
I did, he said
"I'm OK now"
So I left him to it.

I felt glad I did not follow my first instinct and just rush in.

Wow... Can't wait to see the comments on this one.

Guess you dont think that paraplegics should cut in line at the airport either...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Guess you dont think that paraplegics should cut in line at the airport either...

I'm getting this information from people who are actually paraplegic. I'm all for them having better accessibility at business or home.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I'm all for helping the handicapped but society needs to learn too!!!

Years back when I worked retail, I found that those who want help will often ask. One regular customer I had was a bit of a curmudgeon, though. He always bought smokes, and would ask me to open the pack and get him one out so he could light it when he got outside. One time, he didn't ask, so I opened it as always and gave it to him. He gives me heck for making him look like he couldn't do it himself.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Popinski

I'm getting this information from people who are actually paraplegic. I'm all for them having better accessibility at business or home.

So how does it work? Use the access card when convenient, but the equality card when it feels good?

Wouldn't equal treatment equal being stuck in the same situations as the rest of the population? Just thinking out loud here...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Parking spaces ????

Well, that's kind of what Im aiming at. If they want to be treated equal, then they can wheel from the back end of the parking lot in the rain too.

If Im getting what the OP is claiming, than isnt this one of the logical ramifications?

Well, that's kind of what Im aiming at. If they want to be treated equal, then they can wheel from the back end of the parking lot in the rain too.

If Im getting what the OP is claiming, than isnt this one of the logical ramifications?

Exactly..the government builds trillions of wheelchair ramps at intersections at a cost of bazillians when most of them will never be used ever. So already "Society" is helping them. They are not and can never be independent in many cases.

I have lepped them numerous times in the past and get thank-you's. If I get a bad word from one of them I'll tip over his wheelchair.
thumbsup2.gif

I believe the point is don't assume someone NEEDS or WANTS help. Ask first.

Would you like assistance?

Proceed from there.

I believe it's the assumed helplessness that's the problem, not any actual help provided such as wheel chair ramps, parking spots, etc.

Don't assume, ask!

The simplest thing is to just use common sense. If someone looks frustrated or is clearly having trouble, offer to help, if not let them be. I've gone my entire life without anyone ever getting mad for an offer of assistance.

Yeah...pretty simple. Just ask if they need any help. Don't feel bad if they don't....and don't waste your time feeling overly sorry for them. I'm sure they don't.
I would say that if they are one of the many veterans that has gotten injured during service to our country (whether you agree with the conflict or not), it would be proper to thank them for their service. Other than that....they are really no different (nor do they want to be treated as such) than you or I.

Parking spaces ????

Try getting from a wheelchair with an overhead hoist into a car in a standard parking bay...it's utterly impossible.

Some jerk, with a similar mindset to some here parked my sister in, so that when she finished her Lifeline shift at 1AM, had to drag herself and her chair in through the back of her hatchback, breaking her femur in the process.

At least someone was able to help her out of the car when she sat out the front of casualty blowing her horn.

Originally Posted By: Al
Exactly..the government builds trillions of wheelchair ramps at intersections at a cost of bazillians when most of them will never be used ever. So already "Society" is helping them. They are not and can never be independent in many cases.

And society builds all the trillions of miles of roads that you use everyday to do your business...does that mean that you aren't and can never be truly independent ?

And society builds all the trillions of miles of roads that you use everyday to do your business...does that mean that you aren't and can never be truly independent ?

Well that's a good point but I think the comparison is somewhat misleading. Ramps and wheelchair facilities are there bc these folks can not manage like "normal people" (no disrespect). They need accommodations to use facilities that "normal people" use. They therefore can not be treated equal (again no disrespect) as people that traverse mainstream facilities [Roads]...as JHZR2 implied.

I guess I'm bad then for opening the door for a woman or handicapped person. Just the way I was brought up. I haven't ever been given a dirty look or chewed out yet for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back