People putting the wrong mileage on titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not what you think. I'm talking about people who seemingly accidentally put the mileage too high.

I've run into this problem when going to buy cars from people, but mostly motorcycles.

Most recent example was a 100th Anniversary Harley Sportster I went looking at for a friend of mine. Bike was so clean, I would have gladly made a sandwich on the tank, and then eaten right off of it. Agreed to a great price and closed the deal. Got the cash out, and prepared to load up. Seller goes to get the title.

This bike had 1900 miles on it, and looked even better. I could tell that the bike never saw a lot of action because there was no pitting on the front forks. Don't ask me why, but Harley forks will pit in the vacuum of outer space. All of the 100th Anniversary body pieces still had the proprietary Harley striping through it (impossible to duplicate, like the band in a new $100 bill).

Seller brings me the title and I go over it to make sure no lienholders, etc. That's when I see the mileage: 178,965

What. The. Eff.

Needless to say, I turned around, packed up, and left. Who wants to buy a special edition vehicle with a title problem like that?

There is no way that could be accurate mileage for this bike. An Anni Sportster is not even remotely valuable enough for any idiot to do a nuts-and-bolts restoration on, and then turn back the odo. A Sportster getting driven that much is equally unlikely. Especially this one. S

This is not, however, the first time I have seen something like this. I've even seen it where the Carfax tracked the correct mileage right up until the point the title was issued with the exaggerated mileage. Must be a lot of people filling in the tenths when not supposed to, or maybe they feel like they need to fill in all of the blanks? Start writing mileage from left-to-right? No idea.

I bought a truck a year back and even though the title was correct, a CARFAX report indicated there was an issue with the mileage.

It winds up that a few months earlier, the owner had an Clean Air emissions test performed and the Technician had entered in a completely bogus mileage. The only digit that was correct was the 1xx,xxx.

When I visited the facility and requested they fix the entry, I received a hearty chuckle...it was obvious they could care a less and so just fabricate any series of digits to save themselves effort.

Its a small matter compared to your experience of it being on the actual title though. Even if the owner were to attempt getting it corrected, I wonder if the best he could get would be a "mileage unknown"?

I bought a Kawasaki KLR650 from a guy with less than 1000 miles, it wasn't even 2 months old and the guy lost his job and I bought it from him.
I got it out of state and when the guy was transferring the title he marked the box not actual mileage. I went down and tried to straighten it out with him when I got the title and saw the mistake. He tried to fix it but he couldn't.
Whatever, I ended up keeping the bike, selling it to my son so it turned out really not being a big deal.

Reading your post again.
Seeing Great Price, Pristine Condition. I am not sure that title would have bothered me.
My Triumph had the wrong mileage. The dealer told me about it. The title said 12,000 something the bike only had 3200 miles on the speedometer. It wasn't a issue although not as extreme as your case. But you would be the third owner in 1900 miles.
Not too many things drop value like motorcycles, Rv Campers and Boats with probably Harley Davidson being the fastest dropper in value of all right now. Nice bike for Nice price, I believe I would have bought it, if I got it to ride and just enjoy it.

If the mileage is too far off the computer system at the DMV will throw a red flag, and they'll question you. At least that happened to me with a low mileage motorcycle purchase.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

can that effect an insurance claim if there's damage?

I would say there is a very good chance that the value of the motorcycle would be in some part based on its mileage; however, every time I have asked my insurance carrier how much "X" vehicle is worth, they refuse to provide an answer and are even vague as to their formula.

Your point is a valid one...as is the question of resale value should the OP have decided to later sell this bike. Regardless of "Like New" appearance, a low corresponding mileage is important in many buyers decision.

How about not entering ANY mileage at all and leaving if for buyer to fill in.

This happened to me as the 9th owner of "low mileage" 1969 Plymouth GTX.

Car was sold by the original owner in the mid-1980's with 75K-85K miles. I talked to them personally after tracking them down in 1995...and was the 1st one to ever contact them. I did a simple DMV search in the 2 states where the car came from. It was easy back then to track down original owners as long as you knew which state to start with.

A parts yard/high profile collector-dealer purchased the vehicle. And a couple years later it was "re-born" as a 16K mile, original paint, cream puff....lol. It went through several other owners w/o the true mileage ever being identified. I always wondered why the front seats were ripped up a bit. And too much engine paint was missing for such a low mileage original. I was not happy when I found out that the 22K miles when I bought was really more like 82K miles.

By not filling in the original title, the dealer was able to re-register the car in their state and filling in 16K miles on the old title. Since they had an on-site notary public, everything on that title looked perfect. When I brought this all up publicly in the 1990's the dealer's lawyer contacted me and told me to cease "or else."

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
\

I would say there is a very good chance that the value of the motorcycle would be in some part based on its mileage; however, every time I have asked my insurance carrier how much "X" vehicle is worth, they refuse to provide an answer and are even vague as to their formula.

Your point is a valid one...as is the question of resale value should the OP have decided to later sell this bike. Regardless of "Like New" appearance, a low corresponding mileage is important in many buyers decision.

They basically try to give you the least amount possible, but get a ball park figure by looking at other similar vehicles for sale in the area.

Say you have a Dodge truck and it gets totaled, they will look at 5-10 same year Dodge trucks with similar options and mileage and see what they are selling for. The key is what they sold for, not what people are asking. I often went back and forth with owners of older totaled vehicles on this, since they thought their vehicle was worth more because some nut had a low mileage one listed at a crazy price.

The bike wasn't going to be for me. Only reason I was involved at ll is because my friend didn't know a lot about verifying mechanical condition and didn't have a truck to pick it up.

Owning such a bike sounds fine until one day you go to sell it and then you are the one having people walk away or offer you peanuts because of a title issue.

The 73/87 Chevy trucks only have 5 rollers for mileage, like my 83 it reads 30,xxx when in actuality it should read 230,xxx, I notice when these trucks go on sale the owners claim the truck has low mileage, but looking at the condition of the truck you could probably throw a 2 or 3 in front of the odometer mileage
56.gif

I hardly ever see wrong mileage - give or take a thousand miles.
What I see a-lot is wrong price listed on the title. Prices listed are usually much-much cheaper than the actual sale price.

when i bought my sable, the data entry person at the dealership made a little oopsie.
i of course caught it right away when the memorandum title arrived...
they had the mileage at time of sale listed as 699,997 mi. (instead of the actual 69,997)

i wasted no time in going straight back to the dealer, who then had to get the title back from the bank, and get it corrected.
one erroneous keystroke that didn't get caught...

as if any bank would even consider giving a loan on a 5 year old car with 700,000 mi...

The bought my scooter with 52,000km advertised, it was really 5,200.5km. They put in the 10th digit as a kilometre...no wonder no one was bidding. I have to entre mileage online when doing safety inpections, hey, sometimes I get it wrong, and this shows up on Carjam, but if you see the Carjam history it's pretty obvious when a mistake is made because it's a one off. Another one is 5 digit speedos, like my bike, it's done 120,000km, but reads 12,000km, it's been around the clock. There is a graph on Carjam you can see the changes. Someone may put it in as 12,000km, another will know it's turned over and put in 120,000km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back