people need to learn backroads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife is watching Facebook tonight.traffic from Vegas to los anlgelas is packed. Its taking 3 hrs to get the 38 miles from Vegas to state line! Then another 6 to get to where we are then several more hrs to get to los angelas if taking the Fwy..

Do people not know about the back roads and 2 lanes? Maybe I'm weird but I'd rather spend 5 hrs taking back roads vs 15 hrs on the Fwy stop and go

When I was out there on vacation my GPS suggested going through an unpaved gulley that was there for the benefit of the high tension lines and their maintenance! Good on tourists for sticking to what they know.

Your wife needs to get off the 15 on the Nipton Road, and head through the Mojave Reserve, then take the 40 to Barstow, and then take the 66 through Helendale down to where you are.

can't you just plug it into your phone or gps with traffic and it should find you the optimal route?

If even a good percentage though follow your advice and use the backroads then eventually they wouldn't be any faster.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Hey! If everyone learned the backroads, then you will get stuck in traffic too!

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Just let the people stay on the interstate
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: evanautumn
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Hey! If everyone learned the backroads, then you will get stuck in traffic too!

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Just let the people stay on the interstate
wink.gif

Everyone can get lost.
wink.gif

You must stay on the freeways. If you start driving the back roads you might enjoy the trip and mush as the destination. You might also do business with the locals and find out there is life off the main road. What would the government planners think of that, not much, I suspect. So, you must behave and stay on those freeways where you are supposed to be.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Your wife needs to get off the 15 on the Nipton Road, and head through the Mojave Reserve, then take the 40 to Barstow, and then take the 66 through Helendale down to where you are.
oh shes with me at home. We stayed close by.her Facebook is bombarded with people asking how long till the traffic clears. I know many back roads. I once took a peterbilt from Ludlow to lucerne on dirt roads to get away from a closed i-40.

Las Vegas for Thanksgiving weekend? Maybe all those who are jammed up on the way back to Los Angeles are just saying a prayer of thanks that they still have their car.
whistle.gif

I would much rather take back roads, even if it takes longer, in order to avoid stop and go traffic.

Wish I'd read this thread before July 5th...I duplicated that journey, but at least got a reasonable run to Fresno.

Hello, My dear Mom (RIP) learned to drive the year my Dad took sick (RIP to him too).
She was 64 at the time and quite the "Nervous Nelly" when in a car.
She drove on NO HIGHWAY. I swear she could go from NYC to Chicago on backroads.
Gotta know backroads. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back