People don't know what's under their hood.

Was at a Costco gas station the other day and the guy in front of me had a new MB GLC SUV. I asked him whether he had a 4cy or 6 cyl under the hood. He had no clue and acted as if he never even thought about it. He took a couple of guesses mentioning both. He was a retired older gentleman, not stupid. Said it was the best car he ever owned.
How prevalent do you think this is?? I was pretty surprised by his reaction.

People who don't DIY or drive for the pleasure of it, have little need to know. Maybe he knew when he bought it, then didn't care?

Some people just see a vehicle as an appliance. I'm pretty into electronics but couldn't tell you what chipset my TV uses. If it turns on when I press the button, I'm good.

I am not surprised at all. A lot of people have no idea what is under the hood. They let someone else handle that.

I have a dear friend who told me one day that her windshield washers didn’t work. I opened the hood and saw the reservoir was empty. A quick trip to Wally’s and a gallon of washer fluid and everything worked again. When we visit I ask her if she needs anything.

My know-it-all sister-in-law had a 2012 or13 Camry. She had been driving it for several years. I'd never seen the car until one day she drove down to NC. I was inspecting the car for her and looked under the hood. Don't think she had ever done that. Well, there sat a garden variety Toyota four cylinder. When I told her what it was she insisted she bought the V-6 Camry. I think I had to check the VIN and decode it for her.

She was angry with me for proving her wrong. Maybe I shouldn't have done that. She traded it for a 2021 Camry but I dare not inquire about the engine again.

camry.jpg

Well, do you know what kind of chip is in your computer, laptop, smartphone? Or what kind of memory it uses?
Do you know what type of rubber your shoes soles are made of?
The list of things we are ignorant of is a rather large one. Automotive knowledge is not exactly something sought after by general public.
I am continually amazed at the amount of higher priced purchases that people make and they have no clue whether or not they are getting the value for the purchase that they are making.

It may be that many are buying these goods on time via their credit card and really don't care about the final price of the item, and that they only calculate briefly how much their monthly credit card payment will increase after the purchase.

but I dare not inquire about the engine again.
Coward!

There're are always those people who insist on the larger engine option. How many are SML orientated or numerically due to the ease of counting cylinders? 6 is the new 8.
Ask about liters / c.c. and see the reactions you get.
Many of my friends would know to check washer fluid level and even a few might recognize the absence of pump noise should the fuse blow.

Me own brodduh got a 2020 Land Rover Discovery and he didn't know the size of the engine. Come to think of it, I don't either. I took a sheet metal screw out of the LR tire's tread and removed dried birds hit from the hood using the water poured from an old milk container method.

Years ago I bought a 1985 Chrysler LeBaron from a coworker. I noticed the cruise control two months into ownership. A pal gave me the dirtiest look for not knowing. Hey, a well timed, convenient-for-both-parties, rapid $1,600 car transaction...back off.
People made fun of the turbo too. I kept it and the rest of the car in shape.
It did well but make fun if you want. I understand and wouldn't fully disagree.

I don't keep up on newer cars. I'm from the days where you had a 350 or a 396, possibly a 2.5 or 5.0 etc.

These new car engines are all Greek to me. When someone says they have a xyz12.7 or whatever I don't know that that is.

I know our FJ has a 4.0 L Toyota v6. It's technical name is a 1gr something. I just call it a 4 liter.

I think it is very common, particularly for those who don't do any of their own maintenance.

One of my sons used to work at an Autozone, and he related to me experiences where people came in for parts, and couldn't tell him which engine they had, even after he gave them hints by asking questions. They would come in for spark plugs, and expect him to know how many they needed, and get angry when he couldn't tell them, without knowing which engine they had.

Unfortunately I’ve met lots of people like that. Some just don’t care to know or don’t think about it or whatever. I know what engine is in every one of our vehicles. The only one I’ve ever had someone argue about is them telling me my Ford Van doesn’t have a 5.8 V8 in it because they insist they never put that engine in the Econoline but they did. It’s not common to see one with that engine but they used it for awhile in some of them. And the tag says 5.8 on it so I know that’s what is in it. I would not own one with any other engine.

I don't keep up on newer cars. I'm from the days where you had a 350 or a 396, possibly a 2.5 or 5.0 etc.

These new car engines are all Greek to me. When someone says they have a xyz12.7 or whatever I don't know that that is.

I know our FJ has a 4.0 L Toyota v6. It's technical name is a 1gr something. I just call it a 4 liter.
I research any major purchase. I know what kind of processor is in my computer, iphone and iPad, surround sound processor, even new tv. I don't remember them all, but I know before I buy. My GF knows nothing about cars but she knows she wants a v6 over a 4 turbo. She has a heavy foot and likes to go when she wants to go.

I call them the "gas-n-go" people.

I try to familiarize with the things I use on a daily basis. Like the flatbed truck I drive for work. From the engine type/rate down to the manufacturer of the axles on the truck.

This forum population is WAY more geeky than the average public, so that reaction is unsurprising to me, most folks don't care if it 'goes' 'cause of Tinkerbell waiving her magic wand under there. Most folks only notice those 'bits' they easily see and interact with, not the buried power train stuff, if it 'goes' OK, sounds OK, mileage OK...they're OK.

Back