People don't know what's under their hood.

Coward!

There're are always those people who insist on the larger engine option. How many are SML orientated or numerically due to the ease of counting cylinders? 6 is the new 8.
Ask about liters / c.c. and see the reactions you get.
Many of my friends would know to check washer fluid level and even a few might recognize the absence of pump noise should the fuse blow.

Me own brodduh got a 2020 Land Rover Discovery and he didn't know the size of the engine. Come to think of it, I don't either. I took a sheet metal screw out of the LR tire's tread and removed dried birds hit from the hood using the water poured from an old milk container method.

Years ago I bought a 1985 Chrysler LeBaron from a coworker. I noticed the cruise control two months into ownership. A pal gave me the dirtiest look for not knowing. Hey, a well timed, convenient-for-both-parties, rapid $1,600 car transaction...back off.
People made fun of the turbo too. I kept it and the rest of the car in shape.
It did well but make fun if you want. I understand and wouldn't fully disagree.
I sold Lebaron's back then, I don't remember a turbo option.

knowledge is power, especially with something as expensive as a vehicle. when your knowledge is very low, you are a prey. and those who have knowledge will take advantage. in my 50 years of existence i have seen it all the time. that is why i always accompanied my mom to the repair shop when she was alive. when you know your stuff, you take away the power someone can have over you. more knowledge in as many domain as possible is the best. instead of training all day long at the gym. educate yourself instead and gain knowledge in as many subjects as possible. speaking many languages is also a huge bonus.

My know-it-all sister-in-law had a 2012 or13 Camry. She had been driving it for several years. I'd never seen the car until one day she drove down to NC. I was inspecting the car for her and looked under the hood. Don't think she had ever done that. Well, there sat a garden variety Toyota four cylinder. When I told her what it was she insisted she bought the V-6 Camry. I think I had to check the VIN and decode it for her.

She was angry with me for proving her wrong. Maybe I shouldn't have done that. She traded it for a 2021 Camry but I dare not inquire about the engine again.

View attachment 109346
I have one of those too. A know-it-all sister-in-law I mean. 🤣

I sold Lebaron's back then, I don't remember a turbo option.
Yep, it was a turbo 4 cylinder. Mitsubishi engine maybe?

Lebaron.jpg

I think it’s more common obviously away from a forum like this. A friend of mine bought a mid 2000s Chevy Silverado. He said it had THE Chevy V8. The same that was in my 09 Tahoe. The 5.3. When we checked under the hood it was the 4.8. He didn’t realize Chevy offered different V8s. When the guy that sold it to him told him it was a V8 he assumed it was the 5.3.

However, there are certain people that I think will always know. For example, I would find it hard to believe that someone rolling around in a 7.3 power stroke still today would have no idea what engine their truck had.

I don't keep up on newer cars. I'm from the days where you had a 350 or a 396, possibly a 2.5 or 5.0 etc.

These new car engines are all Greek to me. When someone says they have a xyz12.7 or whatever I don't know that that is.

I know our FJ has a 4.0 L Toyota v6. It's technical name is a 1gr something. I just call it a 4 liter.

Yes, I knew the codes when I worked as a dealership mechanic, but it was just the easiest way to differentiate the different generations, and the ones I talkes to were also mechanics so we both knew what we were talking about.

Other brands? no clue. And the tag on the bootlid often isn't correct either, I know that.

I was talking to a car guy yesterday about his new Chevy TRAILBLAZER "RS"(the little one). He bought it to replace his DD Chevy TRAX. One thing he did know about his own TRAILBLAZER is that it IS NOT AWD. Says he couldn't get one at that time.
Other than that, he didn't know that the TRAILBLAZERs only come in 3 cyl(he thought is was 4). nor that they can be has with 2 different trannys.

This guy builds cars & trucks, paints, repairs vehieles but, didn't know $#!+ about his new TB nor weather it has the CVT or 9 Spd(he though it was an 8 Spd tranny) or something like that.

ATMOF, everything he was telling me about the TB was wrong. Retired ex-GM employee. Obviously, he doesn't care about this TB as it's just a run-a-bout appliance for him.

Last edited:
The ones who pay an individual/shop to repair or maintain their vehicles, have no reason to know what's under the hood.

Working in parts, this is extremely common. And even if the customer understands the question, they often get it wrong. That's one reason why a VIN is helpful.

I was talking to a car guy yesterday about his new Chevy TRAILBLAZER "RS"(the little one). He bought it to replace his DD Chevy TRAX. One thing he did know about his own TRAILBLAZER is that it IS NOT AWD. Says he couldn't get one at that time.
Other than that, he didn't know that the TRAILBLAZERs only come in 3 cyl(he thought is was 4). nor that they can be has with 2 different trannys.

This guy builds cars & trucks, paints, repairs vehieles but, didn't know $#!+ about his new TB nor weather it has the CVT or 9 Spd(he though it was an 8 Spd tranny) or something like that.

ATMOF, everything he was telling me about the TB was wrong. Retired ex-GM employee. Obviously, he doesn't care about this TB as it's just a run-a-bout appliance for him.
If it's purely an appliance, I can see just not caring about that stuff. Especially if you don't plan on keeping it long.

Once you start working on something yourself though, or trying to source parts, it's good to know just what it is you are working on.

Working in parts, this is extremely common. And even if the customer understands the question, they often get it wrong. That's one reason why a VIN is helpful.

I remember hearing this conversation once...

Customer: "I need brakepads for my Hyundai"
Parts guy: "what kind of hyundai is it"
C: " a black one"
PG: "I'm all out of those, only have pads for white hyundais left"

If it's purely an appliance, I can see just not caring about that stuff. Especially if you don't plan on keeping it long.

Once you start working on something yourself though, or trying to source parts, it's good to know just what it is you are working on.
This guy that I am referring to, bought the Trailblazer and plans on keeping it long term as with all of his other vehicles. He'll find out that what I was saying is true and he doesn't know anything about the vehicle he just bought several months ago.

Back