People born in the wrong decade

I stayed in the 3K mile OCI crowd probably until around the late '90's-early '00's then went to 5K mile intervals. Within the last year I've gone to 7.5K to see how that works out. I've driven enough miles on 5K mile intervals in the past 20 or so years that I can assure you it's very safe and I was born in the 50's. My dad was born in the 1920's and had gone to 5K mile intervals prior to his death in 2010.

I'm from the age group that remembers when 8 track was the latest and greatest and gas was under $ .30/gallon.
Lol I just can’t bring myself to do it. I don’t care what they claim I’ll always be the 3k or 5k guy. We do 5k only in my moms car that has to have synthetic. Plus by the time I reach that mileage except on our daily drivers the oil would probably have already started to break down.

There is a level of over complexity that seems to be a greater challenge now. Need to code a water pump on a car? Really?

At the same time, folks have been saying that for decades now.

Screens in cars scare me, computers do not. Screens will burn out or fail. Computers and comtrol units in cars have been with us since what, the late 70s? 30yo ECUs still work. They know how to make stuff like that reasonably rugged.

Its the stuff that will be obsoleted and unavailable that’s the issue. No more sw support, no more coding, no more ability to replace parts on a car... off to the junkyard. What does that mean for cars that folks keep for a long time, like corvettes? Can we really count on the aftermarket?

I'm a little different I think. I like the tech, I bought my Genesis which was the most tech I could possibly get for the money. All the radar and lane keep assist stuff, screens, 12 way power adjustable seats etc.

But I also appreciate the simplicity of my Jeep. It has no features at all. Nothing. My Camry has a power driver's seat and windows/doors, that's about it. That Camry will outlast me.

There is a level of over complexity that seems to be a greater challenge now. Need to code a water pump on a car? Really?

At the same time, folks have been saying that for decades now.

Screens in cars scare me, computers do not. Screens will burn out or fail. Computers and comtrol units in cars have been with us since what, the late 70s? 30yo ECUs still work. They know how to make stuff like that reasonably rugged.

Its the stuff that will be obsoleted and unavailable that’s the issue. No more sw support, no more coding, no more ability to replace parts on a car... off to the junkyard. What does that mean for cars that folks keep for a long time, like corvettes? Can we really count on the aftermarket?

I stopped being worried about screen longevity after the one on my M5 continued to work beautifully. That screen was pushing 20, if it was still working, why should I be worried? And, despite them flipping out to allow you access to the tape deck, they didn't seem to be a failure item, it was interesting.

I like a lot of things old school. I like to hold and read actual newspapers and books. Listen to AM talk radio every day. I detest online shopping, and love and prefer to shop in actual stores. I play records on a full sized stereo with huge loudspeakers (I hate listening to "computer music" and hate "computer stereos or bookshelf mini-stereos").

The thing I can't wrap my head around,able bodied 20-somethings who do curbside grocery shopping. I can understand the little feeble old ladies doing it, but able bodied dudes???? The ones I see doing this look like the spoiled by daddy types. Man up and walk yourself into the grocery store bro.

I like a lot of things old school. I like to hold and read actual newspapers and books. Listen to AM talk radio every day. I detest online shopping, and love and prefer to shop in actual stores. I play records on a full sized stereo with huge loudspeakers (I hate listening to "computer music" and hate "computer stereos or bookshelf mini-stereos").

The thing I can't wrap my head around,able bodied 20-somethings who do curbside grocery shopping. I can understand the little feeble old ladies doing it, but able bodied dudes???? The ones I see doing this look like the spoiled by daddy types. Man up and walk yourself into the grocery store bro.
And micro- skirts of course!

I have been plugged into technology for over 30 years at this point (geez...), but I enjoy the culture and music of the 1940's (save for the obvious global war and all the negative things it produced).There have been plenty of times during my career that I have questioned if technology has TRULY improved our lives. Granted, advancements in the medical field and technology in that realm have improved lifespan and the treatment of all manner of maladies, but the gathering of data, how it is shared, and subsequently abused is not an improvement.

Not to climb on a soapbox (or create a political stance), but although technology in and of itself is not "evil" the overall loss of the freedoms it has facilitated or eliminated is something that should not be forgotten.

I have been plugged into technology for over 30 years at this point (geez...), but I enjoy the culture and music of the 1940's (save for the obvious global war and all the negative things it produced).There have been plenty of times during my career that I have questioned if technology has TRULY improved our lives. Granted, advancements in the medical field and technology in that realm have improved lifespan and the treatment of all manner of maladies, but the gathering of data, how it is shared, and subsequently abused is not an improvement.

Not to climb on a soapbox (or create a political stance), but although technology in and of itself is not "evil" the overall loss of the freedoms it has facilitated or eliminated is something that should not be forgotten.

Tech always end up being commoditized and the powerful / rich always end up using it to their advantage due to economic of scale and first movers' advantage. This is humanity in a nut shell.

A lot of our tech today is really just enhancement of quality and for entertainment. We are reaching diminishing return all the time and we constantly have completely new things coming out. Basically, anything that human can do and is easy, will end up being automated eventually.

I don't think future generations will interact with people much in person, when everything is automated and remote. That also include romance and relationship (and hookup....)

Last edited:
Back