People born in the wrong decade

As expensive as a Plextor SCSI drive was, when I had a SPARCstation5 at home, it was cheaper to attach an external Plextor SCSI drive to it than to buy the Sun branded drive :)

Although, I don't think mine was a CD-RW, IIRC.
CDRW are mostly IDE instead of SCSI. By that time SCSI was dying outside of enterprise stuff. Performance stuff all went to IDE already.

Some years ago Road and Track talked about the best year ever for automotive styling. As I recall their final answer was '67. Think of all the great cars that year: Impala SS, Camaro, Mustang, Galaxie 500 GT, Fairlane GT, E-type, and on and on.

I can't disagree though I am still partial to '63 1/2 Galaxies. I'd take mine as a convertible in baby blue with a white top, 390 V8 with a 4 speed manual please.

I'm old school and conservative in most respects. Born in the early 50's, I learned to drive in a 1960 Willys 4WD pickup. My first car was a 1971 Fiat 124 Spider. I am computer savvy, but I still enjoy old school audio with Conrad Johnson and Acurus stereo components. I enjoy watching old movies on TCM and reruns of TV shows from the late 50's and 60's. For comedy I still enjoy Marx Brothers movies, The Three Stooges, The Honeymooners and Seinfeld. My vehicles last a long time because I care for them well and drive defensively enough to avoid idiot drivers and accidents. I have a Smart TV but will never buy an Apple watch or an Apple TV. In fact, if my wife didn't hand me down her iPhone 4, I'd still be using my Sony Ericsson flip phone. I think that fits the old school label, although I may end up caving in to buy a Ring doorbell or similar device.

Last edited:
I've driven thousands and thousands of miles on points without problems, except for the one time I used 'discount' points instead of the 'good' ones from NAPA. (I think they were called Blue Point) Electronic Ignition is better in every way, but honestly I'd rather be on the side of the road troubleshooting ignition problems with points rather than Electronic.
With electronics you wouldn't even be on the side of the road. Cars are much more reliable these days and when you see someone on the side of the road, it's usually a flat tire.

I joined the CG to beat the draft and almost got sent to a loran station in NAM. Joined the Navy and was sent to the Iraq desert.

BTW about old things. I have a slide rule and still remember how to use it.

I was born when Jimmy Carter was president, I actually feel it was a good era to be born in some ways. Got to see alot of the old and the dawning of the new. If anything I feel I was born in the wrong place, Im a warm weather kind of person.

I miss alot of things from decades past and there's also a lot I dont miss.

I should have been 18 in 1967-1972...that would have been amazing.
I turned 18 in 1970. Took drivers Ed in a 69 charger. I had a 1966 Chevelle SS 396 marina blue L34 4 speed in High School. My then 4’11” girl friend told me that if the hem of her skirt/dress fell below her outstretched fingertips when held by her side, her skirt/dress was too long....and I agreed! My draft number was high, and so was I! I do however regret not attending that outdoor concert in N.Y. in 1969! Bummer dude! ✌️

I was born when Jimmy Carter was president, I actually feel it was a good era to be born in some ways. Got to see alot of the old and the dawning of the new. If anything I feel I was born in the wrong place, Im a warm weather kind of person.

I miss alot of things from decades past and there's also a lot I dont miss.
You didn’t want to be old enough to buy a home at that time in history …

Thanks for the shout out 😃😆. Definitely born at the wrong time. Hope you don’t mind me posting here. My sister was born in 1991 I should of traded places with her LOL. I would of at least fit in a little better. I missed lots of good things at least I was around for Sears, CD players, Gameboy Advanced, Nintendo DS, many many more things too lol. But yes I am old school and probably never will get with the times. I still buy DVD at the store and on eBay lol. I can’t stand shopping online a whole lot either so that’s another thing that I wish I could of been born sooner lol 😂. Points yeah they can have those that is one revision I agree with hands down. It’s not fun having to stand out in the snow because your points just failed and you are trying to fix them and get them adjusted and set just right. Carburetors I don’t mind and have gained lots of familiarity with. I’ll never change my oil changing habits though especially considering most of my stuff is old. I’m actually checking the oil now in my 1989 Mazda B2200 I drove it 67 miles yesterday most it’s moved in probably 2 years since we drove it home LOL. I miss cassette players and VHS tapes all which were part of my old school family childhood and still are today. One thing I won’t ever quit using though is my SAE tools I use them on all our domestics and my dads Freightliner all the time. Which I like because I just feel it’s cooler to use than metric especially when I get to use an odd size like 11/16 like I did for the input shaft seal only got to use that very few times LOL. I don’t think anyone could break me from these habits. I am a strong believer in what I stand for and was raised doing.
I stayed in the 3K mile OCI crowd probably until around the late '90's-early '00's then went to 5K mile intervals. Within the last year I've gone to 7.5K to see how that works out. I've driven enough miles on 5K mile intervals in the past 20 or so years that I can assure you it's very safe and I was born in the 50's. My dad was born in the 1920's and had gone to 5K mile intervals prior to his death in 2010.

I'm from the age group that remembers when 8 track was the latest and greatest and gas was under $ .30/gallon.

Back