People born in the wrong decade

I should have been 18 in 1967-1972...that would have been amazing.

Then you would have gotten the peanut butter shot right in the rear end as you got ready to head out like many back those days. Mine came a bit later but those shots still hurt.

LAN parties were awesome! Quake II, RTCW, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon...etc. Back when 3DFX was still around. You could get a Plextor or a few other brands of CD-RW drives, many of them SCSI initially, that would not do error correction and could burn discs that had "copy protection" which was just basically intentionally placed bad sectors on the CD.
Once a month my friends and I went to Fry's and "borrow" their $1000 CDR drive with SCSI card to do a burn marathon, then return it.

LAN parties were awesome! Quake II, RTCW, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon...etc. Back when 3DFX was still around. You could get a Plextor or a few other brands of CD-RW drives, many of them SCSI initially, that would not do error correction and could burn discs that had "copy protection" which was just basically intentionally placed bad sectors on the CD.
M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M---- MEGA KILL!!

If anyone doesn't get what I just typed, they never played UT. ;)

Once a month my friends and I went to Fry's and "borrow" their $1000 CDR drive with SCSI card to do a burn marathon, then return it.

A buddy of mine had an NEC Pentium 200 MMX. I installed an Adaptec SCSI card and I think it was a Plextor SCSI 4x CD-RW drive so we could burn CD's, I think it cost him a fortune at the time, lol.

A buddy of mine had an NEC Pentium 200 MMX. I installed an Adaptec SCSI card and I think it was a Plextor SCSI 4x CD-RW drive so we could burn CD's, I think it cost him a fortune at the time, lol.
As expensive as a Plextor SCSI drive was, when I had a SPARCstation5 at home, it was cheaper to attach an external Plextor SCSI drive to it than to buy the Sun branded drive :)

Although, I don't think mine was a CD-RW, IIRC.

We had the best music. I still listen to a lot of the same stuff I listened to in high school and college. Never thought I'd live long enough to see weed legalized. Man that my wife works with had a colonoscopy a week or two ago. They saw a small mass. He had robotic assisted laparoscopic surgery on Monday. Took out a section of colon, and patched the ends together. He's home the next day. Seems pretty routine and great. Something like that wasn't happening 50 years ago.

I went for a slice of pizza on Monday and parked my Camry next to a '64 Biscayne. A lot has changed in cars in 50 years.

Time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me

I've driven thousands and thousands of miles on points without problems, except for the one time I used 'discount' points instead of the 'good' ones from NAPA. (I think they were called Blue Point) Electronic Ignition is better in every way, but honestly I'd rather be on the side of the road troubleshooting ignition problems with points rather than Electronic.

When I was born Harry Truman was still president so I kind of like old things like the ethos of a Norman Rockwell painting, points & condensers, dwell meters, carbs, knock off wire wheels, women that don't say like or awesome every other sentence. I would have hung around with these guys;

1610583498820.png

I like old cars, old airplanes and old boats with steam gauges in them and I enjoy working on them all. My DD is a tech loaded appliance that starts every day and does what it has to do w/ minimal fuss and I usually don't even do the oil changes myself. I am also ham fisted at configuring PC's, networks, routers, etc., probably because I just don't like dealing with them. Even funnier, I was an exec in high tech...

Setting points, valve lash and bearing preload is downright fun and satisfying to me.

I recently described myself to a friend's 12y/o son, a techy and budding auto enthusiast, as "I'm a magneto guy in a coil on plug world". I then proceeded to explain what a magneto is.

Last edited:
I went out of my way and bought a gas guzzling 6.4 V8, specifically because the age of EVs and natural resource preservation is upon us. As selfish as it may sound, I always wanted a big American V8, and thought that if I don't get one now, it may be harder/more costly to acquire one in the future, when I'm retired.

Not a big AM radio fan, but I have no problem listening to FM radio (non HD). :)

Also, one of my cards looks like this:

KVgvmv3.gif
Nailed hard enough … that Mo-parh “392” sounds better than any stereo … and I like good sounding audio …

Well, I am old, and grew up with all the old style things, and still like them. Sure a lot of the new stuff is better in some ways, but most of it just doesn't seem to last like the old not as efficient stuff did. I am not saying that newer vehicles don't run more miles than the old ones, because obviously they do, but When they do break, It is take it to the garage and pay the big bucks to have it fixed, because I have no idea where to even begin. I like points, not because they work or last better(because they don't) but because if there is a problem, like one time in a snowstorm when my 63 chevy 6 cylinder acted up badly on the way to work one morning, and I jumped out and snapped the points a few times and away I went running like new again. I like carburetors because I understand them, but if the F.I. has a problem I have no idea how to fix it besides some cleaner in the gas. I am just an old fuddy duddy that doesn't like change. I drive new cars, but trade often so I don't have problems that I can't fix myself. OH, radios- I don't even care if my car has one, as I never turn it on anyway.
My '63 Chevy II would occasionally refuse to turn over. I learned how to jump the Solenoid with a heavy screwdriver or even the jack handle. Knowing how to do that came in handy when someone's '63 Impala wouldn't turn over. "Stand back folks, now hand me that jack handle."

One time, driving at night on a long trip in '65 Comet the alternator stopped charging. The headlights got dimmer and dimmer. We parked all night at a garage (remember those?) in case it wouldn't start. Come daylight I got out and whacked the regulator with a wrench and all was well again.

It got so I could do 'points and condenser' on the '65 Comet at the roadside in a very few minutes. And I could change a flat tire while wearing a suit without getting dirty, and not even be late for work.

On the other hand if those vehicles had been more reliable I wouldn't have had to do any of those things. But as has been pointed out many older cars had some style to them (though not the ones I could afford).

I remember when my buddy got a 200 MMX with 32 megs of ram. Compared to my P100 with 16 megs, it was mind blowing seeing how fast the ending animation played when we won solitaire. The solitaire win screen animation was the default benchmark for processor speed.

Still didn't help playing Quake 1 on a modem with 500+ms Ping though. LOL

Back