People born in the wrong decade

Just don't get that Pennzoil, it will sludge up your engine BAD! 🤣🤣
Not really sure what this is directed toward but I have used PZ almost exclusively since 77. Must be all that sludge holding my engines together. 🥴🤠. My GTO and SRT8 were Mobil1 cars.

Not really sure what this is directed toward but I have used PZ almost exclusively since 77. Must be all that sludge holding my engines together. 🥴🤠. My GTO and SRT8 were Mobil1 cars.

There's some legend that Pennzoil used to be a bad sludge oil, i always thought that was from the 70s.

Tough crowd tonight lol.

No worries. Quaker State was also a target. Must be a green and the yellow bottle thing!

I thought QS and Pennzoil were brother and sister under SOPUS?

I've always wanted to try Pennzoil. Bought QSUD and QSAD before. Not bad... but I always end up gravitating to other oils.. just illustrates how hard oil selection can be.

I like the black ⚫ bottles. Its all API SN Plus and SP oil...

I thought QS and Pennzoil were brother and sister under SOPUS?

I've always wanted to try Pennzoil. Bought QSUD and QSAD before. Not bad... but I always end up gravitating to other oils.. just illustrates how hard oil selection can be.

I like the black ⚫ bottles. Its all API SN Plus and SP oil...
They are now but not in the 70s and 80s.

I like old cars, old airplanes and old boats with steam gauges in them and I enjoy working on them all. My DD is a tech loaded appliance that starts every day and does what it has to do w/ minimal fuss and I usually don't even do the oil changes myself. I am also ham fisted at configuring PC's, networks, routers, etc., probably because I just don't like dealing with them. Even funnier, I was an exec in high tech...

Setting points, valve lash and bearing preload is downright fun and satisfying to me.

I recently described myself to a friend's 12y/o son, a techy and budding auto enthusiast, as "I'm a magneto guy in a coil on plug world". I then proceeded to explain what a magneto is.

When an airplane becomes hard to start and frequent bad mag checks, even with good clean spark plugs, it is usually the e-gap (internal timing) in the magneto (or both). Sadly, this can occur on newer planes too as electronic ignition hasn't become mainstream yet except in experimental airplanes....
Dang points!

I like prefer old tech over new tech. I still use DVDs and CDs. Not a fan of MP3 files. I don't miss tapes, be they the audio or video kind. AM radio never appealed to me. Generally, I find new tech convincingly superior to old tech. I like older cars because of their simplicity. Despite their simplicity they are not as reliable as we like to remember them. On the other hand, many things are nowadays made to not last longer than a few years. What really bothers me is when things I have used for 30 years become elusive unicorns. I wanted to buy friction tape yesterday. I went to four hardware stores and nobody had the faintest idea what I was talking about. Amazon has it, of course.

I am not that old, Turned 58 a few months ago. I much preferred the days of Carbs and Duel point distributers. I used to carry a Tach and Dwell meter and a timing light with me all the time. I could do a tune up anywhere I went.
Had the 8 track to listen to while I was working. Drag racing was every Friday night and we would line beer bottles down the dividing line of the lanes. It would all get broken up after a few hours but we had fun. At the time I had a 57 Chevy PU with a 283 4spd and a 65 El Camino 327 Muncie 4spd. 4.11 rear gears later to be swapped out for a built 350 LT1. It was a different and better time of my life. I hate these newer cars with computers. I could do anything to the older cars myself. I never had to count on someone else to help me fix something.

Sometimes I wish I had been a teen in the 80's instead of the 90's. My favorite movies seem to be from the 80's, and I have a weakness for 80's pop rock. I like some of the metal from the 90's... but there you go, that's the difference, in my head anyhow, the 80's were a fun time while the 90's were a let down.

But I'm pretty happy right now, pandemic notwithstanding. Technology, medicine, etc. Yeah it's trying at times, but I bet every decade has its moments and problems.

The 1960's and 1970s were really better . Computers, cell phones etc are nice but they aren't what makes life nice. There was freedom and not so much political correctness ,Cancel culture and the people weren't as "stupid " as they are today. For example people walking down the street with their faces planted in their smart phone. The Karen epidemic.

What was good about it? I have been to the Viet Nam memorial wall in Sacramento California at the capital. I have some friends on the wall. Lots of cost and no victory.
Free fire zones and able to actually wage warfare. As far as no victory, that wasn’t due to the troops, that was the politicians. But yes, it was a wasted war in that a lot of good men and women died. But it also did stop Communism/domino theory.

I'm 33 years old, and I'm a bit of a mixed bag on stuff too.

I'm happy to embrace modern things like synthetic oil and extended change intervals, or at least extended change intervals on modern cars that see plenty of miles.

I don't want to work on modern cars necessarily, but I appreciate just how reliable they are. In the 5 years or so now I've had my MKZ, only once have I turned the key and it not started, and that one was fixed once I had a chance to grab a new battery and swap them. I know the history of that car going back to new, and it's had very little done to it other than fixing wear items or proactive maintenance(which reminds me that I should change the serpentine belt-not sure how much I trust a 10 year old one).

At the same time, I don't like how involved even a "simple" repair can be on a modern car. My wife's Jeep needed a thermostat a few weeks ago. I watched a great Youtube video on a Tstat replacement on the 2.4L Multiair that's in her car, and just said "Nope, sorry, we're taking it somewhere." Could I have done it? Yes, but I imagine it would have taken me a full day and at the time I didn't didn't have a full day to spare.

I do use a lot of "old" stuff in my day to day life, whether new incarnations of old things or truly old things. There's always a mechanical watch somewhere around me(whether on my wrist or in my pocket) and a fountain pen or three in my pocket.

When it comes to cars, I appreciate the fact that I can actually understand, see, and pinpoint what's going on with carburetors, points, and the like. My MG uses mostly original or original style parts set up as the factory did(albeit a not-as-stock engine with a higher c/r than factory and a more aggresive cam), with the main additions being a few relays that the factory didn't put there but that I did because I appreciate things like bright headlights and dash switches that last a long time. There are a lot of arguments about whether or not to change stock parts, like replacing the lever-arm shocks with tube shocks or putting disk brakes in the rear. My lever arm shocks are getting ready to come off...so that I can clean them up and have them ready to go for another 50 years. That car has been a lot of fun and a very educational experience for me.

Back