People born in the wrong decade

I don't miss setting point gaps or setting timing on a chev engine with the distributor near the fire wall. I had a friend burned when it back fired , aircleaner off as he was twisting the distributor, burned his arm badly.

I have been doing 5k to 7.5 k oil changes until DI Now i'm back to 2k winter 3k summer. ( only on the DI mazda - 5k-7.5k on the MPFI cars)

I like radios with knobs, but not AM. I like fuel injection, modern suspensions etc, but not all the whizbang gizmos on cars. Things like keyless entry, auto sensing wipers , and on trucks electric tailgates.🤬

So not sure how i fit in lol.

I still like the "original computer" ... no blue screen crashes or flaky updates required, and works good with no power.

The Original Computer.JPG

Seriously though I don't miss the days of the VCR tapes getting ate up.

I don't miss the days of working on carburetor setups on my friends 70' Chevelle.

I don't miss the days of the phone on the wall.

I could go on and on,but for me I personally love new technology and even though it's new it's not impossible to learn and adapt with it.

I was born at the beginning of the 80's, so I briefly recall BETAMAX. Some memories from when I was probably not much younger than AutoMechanic are those huge Pioneer laserdisc players, the Pioneer CD changers, Atari, Commodore, BlockBuster video, cassettes...etc. I remember when CD's really started taking hold, then DVD's. My first PC (not first computer) was an 8088. The first cars I remember my parents owning had carbs (and of course EVERYTHING at the cottage had a carb) so that's what I learned to wrench on. I couldn't be more excited when my dad bought his '89 Town Car and it had fuel injection!

I recall early CD players, in cars, not being much in the way of an upgrade from tapes. They'd skip, scratch...etc. The big leap was when we could do digital audio, which wasn't that long ago. You no longer had 50 CD's in your vent visor.

I hated points, and still do. Not a fan of carburetors, despite having a ton of experience with them.

Technology always excited me. The move from hubs to switches, from 10-baseT to 100-baseTX then Gig-E, fibre...etc. I had a Tw33ker and started getting into manual tuning of EEC-IV stuff at one point.

I was a VERY early adopter of portable communication stuff. Had a Blackberry 950 and pretty much every Blackberry after that until Apple and Android...etc.

I like to think of myself as a technical pragmatist. I don't live on the cutting edge, but am more than willing to adopt new things that are proven to be effective and will make things better or easier for me once I'm sure they aren't a fad.

The one thing I dont miss is the old modems and dialing up to get internet access. Those days when nothing was wireless except cordless phones.
You have ways around those situations.

People go visit friends and play games together on console, or they bring PCs around for lan party, or they burn CDs by copying (things weren't locked down as bad back then).

Oh yeah forgot to list BlockBuster earlier lol 😂 I enjoyed that store because I’m old school and still like my movies on disk. I am old enough to remember those I think ours closed in 2008 or 09. Also had a store here called I think it was Hollywood Video which I miss too. That’s probably more of a forgotten one.

You have ways around those situations.

People go visit friends and play games together on console, or they bring PCs around for lan party, or they burn CDs by copying (things weren't locked down as bad back then).

LAN parties were awesome! Quake II, RTCW, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon...etc. Back when 3DFX was still around. You could get a Plextor or a few other brands of CD-RW drives, many of them SCSI initially, that would not do error correction and could burn discs that had "copy protection" which was just basically intentionally placed bad sectors on the CD.

I remember ringing the numbers back to zero and pumping $2.00 worth of gas, Pushing the metal spigot into the top of an oil can, Pushing a folded match book in beside the eight track tape so it wouldn't skip, then Saturday night was ready to be enjoyed.

I wish I'd been born a few years later so that I'd be coming up on driving age about the same time that most 6-7 year-old used cars were fuel-injected. My first car was a miserable POS exacerbated by a carburetor.

I'm not completely "old school" but I do believe in personal responsibility. I don't subscribe to extreme left or extreme right. Those 2 statements make me a bizarre bird in 2020/2021 ;) Although I don't push OCI as a goal I sure am glad I can rest easy with a longer than 3k OCI!!

I drove my 65 Plymouth up pikes peak in second gear, foot on the floor and purring along about 20 mph. Ran great and never overheated.
That’s not enough lugging. Grandpa put it in high at 10 mph, and thats the way it’s done. I think it’s left over from early cars with low hp low rpm big cast iron engines. Going like 60 was a term for going really fast, too fast. Radio? What radio?

I don't miss setting point gaps or setting timing on a chev engine with the distributor near the fire wall. I had a friend burned when it back fired , aircleaner off as he was twisting the distributor, burned his arm badly.

I have been doing 5k to 7.5 k oil changes until DI Now i'm back to 2k winter 3k summer. ( only on the DI mazda - 5k-7.5k on the MPFI cars)

I like radios with knobs, but not AM. I like fuel injection, modern suspensions etc, but not all the whizbang gizmos on cars. Things like keyless entry, auto sensing wipers , and on trucks electric tailgates.🤬

So not sure how i fit in lol.
P.S. I still prefer CD's. I gave up my flip phone about 2 years ago for a smart phone. I don't know how to netflicks or watch amazon movies, my elantra has sirrus xm but I'm not willing to pay for it.

I got a chuckle about some comments made by @AutoMechanic earlier about his maintenance practices. Oil changes at 3 months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. Some folks just really aren't a fan of technology in its current forms or what are considered modern practices, let alone what is coming down the tubes, and it got me thinking about those who just seem like they were born during the wrong time period.

Here we are coming into an age where EV's are increasingly popular, the reduction in not only the waste of fossil resources, but consumption in general is being drawn to the fore and I'm sure we all know some folks that are pining over points, carbs and AM radio :ROFLMAO:

If you are a resident here that can identify with the above, chime-in, or if you know somebody who you think fits what is being described, share your experiences :)
In some ways, I think I was born too late. Other ways, too early.

I still drive a stick shift car, but I put an Android head unit in it. But no, I don't pine over points nor carburetors.

So I'm probably a contradiction. Probably musically as well. I am as comfortable with Pink Floyd and their peers, but will still enjoy some Taylor Swift in a spin class.

Sometimes I think I meet myself coming and going with the variety and contradictions in my preferences.

Back