People accelerating slowly from stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think OP may be describing one of my peeves, instead of just wanting folks to race away.
What I see is folks waiting through 4 or 5 cycles where a minor road get a short cycle crossing a major road.
Car 2 gives 4 car lengths before moving off, car 3 gives 4 car lengths before moving off, light runs yellow, car 4 creeps through.
Since all the cars start at say 1-5 mph, 1/2 car length is plenty of reaction time IF YOU"RE PAYING ATTENTION to get more of us through a short cycle during 'rush hour'.
In my scenario above, 8 cars could start almost simultaneously, give a few feet, and, paying attention, move through while still moving a bit away from each other as they all accelerate.
My wife will notice I often pick the truck lane here, questions it, but so often 1 trucker will still accelerate (attention span -vehicle speed) faster than 3 car drivers can wake up.
If all crossed the road at, say 20 mph, THEN they would need 2 car lengths, and 8 people paying attention CAN do it.

It's the delay in movement that causes fewer people to get through lights, not the rate of acceleration once they have started moving, most of the time.
Exactly! I was gonna say that, but you beat me to it. Failing to move reasonably promptly is not the same as failing to act as if in a drag race.
Then there are the distracted folks who wait 5 seconds or more after a light turns green to wake up, THEN accelerate hard to the next red light.

I've always called traffic lights "The Great Equalizer". All the people in a hurry to leave the last light are waiting for me at the next red light. Sometimes I don't even need to hit the brakes!
You all in a hurry will understand when you get older and have seen enough senseless wrecks. What's the big rush anyways?

Your behavior is as bad as the guy riding your bumper.

Maybe so, but: (unlike my brother who ended up in the middle of a multi-car pile-up in the middle of the squirrel hill tunnels totaling several cars and shutting down the tunnel because the guy behind him was tailgating while they were going fast, and when he had to slam on the brakes because the vehicle in-front of him had to stop fast, and the vehicle behind him hit him, and pushed him into the vehicle in-front of him) I would have slowed down if that vehicle was behind me and was driving that way, and prevented being in that accident if I had been diving that day.

WARNING: I will exercise my right to drive at a speed that is safe for the following distance you are leaving between the back of my vehicle and the front of your vehicle. So if you ride my back bumper do no be surprised or annoyed if I drive even slower than I was going before you caught up to me and started riding my back bumper. I am just going at a speed that is safe so if I had to slam on the brake for some reason, you would not hit my vehicle. If you want me to go fast, then do not tailgate me. And by the way, ride my back bumper even closer and I will drive even slower.

BTW, over the years I have exercised this philosophy to the extreme a handful of times. One of them was a man and is daughter in a small convertible sports car with the roof down, who rode my back bumper soooo close that I really went very slow, and the road was such that there was no way he could pass me. After several minutes of it, I stopped completely and got out and told him off in front of his daughter, in a loud voice explaining that I would like to travel faster, but that I was driving at an appropriate speed for the very short following distance he was leaving between the back of my car and the front of his.

One time I was on a long one lane in each direction road with no way to pass other cars that wound around many bends as it went down a mountain and the speed limit was 25 and everyone does at least 40. I was going around 42 and when a jerk driving a delivery truck got right on my back bumper. I slowed down to 25 all the way down the mountain. When we got to the bottom there was a red light. And the driver of vehicle behind the delivery truck hollered loud enough for me to hear him that he was not happy about my speed. I hollered back, that I have kids in the car, and the delivery truck got on my back bumper way too close, and I was going faster but it was not safe with the very close distance the truck was leaving behind me so I slowed down to the speed limit. He hollered back that he was sorry, and that I was right, and that I should report the delivery truck driver to his company. Meanwhile the delivery truck driver heard all of this, and never said a word, and I paid him no attention.

One jerk who rode my back bumper way way too close in a yellow sports car on a very busy 3 land road and got mad when I slowed down, and rode even closer, so I slowed down even more, and he rode even closer and got on the horns, so I stopped and shut off the engine. Vehicles were wizzying by both sides of him and he could not go right or left to get into either lane.

I will stop and help out a stranded motorist and have several times, and will go out of my way to help people who are in need of help, but ride my back bumper and the game is on.
Horrible. Driving is not a right; it is a privlidge. It ain't my road and it ain't your road.
I humbly suggest you rethink your driving habits. We all make mistakes.
How do you know what other drivers have going on in their lives?
I hate tailgaters, so I just move over. Let 'em go.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but: (unlike my brother who ended up in the middle of a multi-car pile-up in the middle of the squirrel hill tunnels totaling several cars and shutting down the tunnel because the guy behind him was tailgating while they were going fast, and when he had to slam on the brakes because the vehicle in-front of him had to stop fast, and the vehicle behind him hit him, and pushed him into the vehicle in-front of him) I would have slowed down if that vehicle was behind me and was driving that way, and prevented being in that accident if I had been diving that day.

When was anyone able to go fast enough in the Squirrel Hill Tunnel to cause a multicar pileup? :LOL:

This is very annoying, I'd like to make it through the light too! It's especially bad when trying to make a left turn when you have to yield to oncoming traffic, car ahead pokes through when 2-3 cars could have made it through the gaps in traffic.

Your behavior is as bad as the guy riding your bumper.

Again what's the hurry? A signal cycle is only a minute average (30-120 seconds). If you lack the patience it takes to drive safely it might be time to reevaluate and take measure of your own driving deficiencies. We all have them. Having the scantiness of being imperturbable is no way to be behind the wheel.

When it gets to the point that you are annoyed at yielding to oncoming traffic because a car is slow to turn, it's time to pull over and take a breather. You have no clue as to what is going on in the other drivers head. It could be an old person or a drunk/drugged out driver, person on a cell phone, etc.

Part of extensive Smith training includes slowing down or moving over (if safe) when being tailgated. Almost all the time they will just move around you and tailgate another vehicle. If not I look for the first opportunity to safely move over and let them pass. It's all about relaxing and being courteous to everyone.

Again what's the hurry? A signal cycle is only a minute average (30-120 seconds). If you lack the patience it takes to drive safely it might be time to reevaluate and take measure of your own driving deficiencies. We all have them. Having the scantiness of being imperturbable is no way to be behind the wheel.

When it gets to the point that you are annoyed at yielding to oncoming traffic because a car is slow to turn, it's time to pull over and take a breather. You have no clue as to what is going on in the other drivers head. It could be an old person or a drunk/drugged out driver, person on a cell phone, etc.

Part of extensive Smith training includes slowing down or moving over (if safe) when being tailgated. Almost all the time they will just move around you and tailgate another vehicle. If not I look for the first opportunity to safely move over and let them pass. It's all about relaxing and being courteous to everyone.

You make it sound like I'm laying on the horn and pounding the dashboard. I'm talking about driving courtesy. Get your vehicle up to speed and through the intersection at a reasonable pace. Impeding traffic causing people to sit through multiple lights is rude. If you're too old, drunk or too distracted to drive don't get behind the wheel!

People fly through that tunnel regularly. You either have not been there or did not get the memo:

That's the inbound side and not at all what driving through that tunnel is like. Nothing but brake lights, people merging on from Edgewood/Swissvale causing bad drivers to slam their brakes on. And of course there's construction!!!!

You make it sound like I'm laying on the horn and pounding the dashboard. I'm talking about driving courtesy. Get your vehicle up to speed and through the intersection at a reasonable pace. Impeding traffic causing people to sit through multiple lights is rude. If you're too old, drunk or too distracted to drive don't get behind the wheel!

Neither you nor I have any control over others behavior. Only our own. I'm only replying to what I read in your post: "Very Annoying". That is not a good state of mind to be in when behind the wheel. If another driver is rude and it bothers you then you should not be driving.

That's the inbound side and not at all what driving through that tunnel is like. Nothing but brake lights, people merging on from Edgewood/Swissvale causing bad drivers to slam their brakes on. And of course there's construction!!!!

If you drive nights that is exactly what to expect in that tunnel in both directions.

If you drive nights that is exactly what to expect in that tunnel in both directions.

At night you can expect to ride the brake all the way down the hill from Wilkinsburg and one lane to be closed for some kind of construction work.

So true, drives me nuts. Go!!!

I'm in a loaner Hyundai Kona from the dealer right now with only 147hp, and I can still make it across the intersection before most people without feeling like I'm driving hard. Same with merging on the freeway, GO!!!

Heck, even when I'm driving the 70' VW Beetle I'm still usually the first across the intersection.
I agree with the merging part, it's downright dangerous if you're not up to speed. At an intersection that's another story, it's called life in the big city.

Why should I jam my throttle down just to please you?

Patience is a virtue, especially when driving.

It has nothing to do with pleasing anyone, it has to do with keeping traffic moving. You talk about virtues but maybe you should look in the mirror.

You must also be one of the clowns constantly driving exactly the speed limit in the left lane.

I take a different approach. I do not touch my phone when behind the wheel. However, I am a very defensive driver. If I am "pushed" from behind I go even slower. When the light turns green it's all about left right left then move out slowly. It takes me 3-5 seconds before I lift my foot off the brake. I do the speed limit or 5mph less on city streets. On the freeway it's all about maintaining a safe speed and not tailgating. When there is a construction zone I'm very slow and cautious. I come to a full and complete stop at every stop sign and 3-5 second rule "left, right, left" before lifting off the brake applies. What's the hurry? Too many people are in a hurry these days. There is no reason for it. How about planning ahead so you don't have to rush.

Here are a few of my pet peeves:

Going under the speed limit in the passing, carpool, or toll road lanes
Tailgating
On the phone
Drinking and driving
Running red lights
Rolling through stop signs
Not using turn signals
Anger behind the wheel
Not yielding
Cutting drivers off
Green light go without waiting a few seconds

How about we all learn the 5 keys of SMITH:

Aim High in the steering

Get the Big Picture

Keep Your Eyes Moving

Leave Yourself an Out

Make Sure They See You

Let's become courteous drivers. It might be asking too much just because a large group of the motoring public does not have proper training to even belong behind the wheel. And again it's rush rush rush due to poor planning. And sometimes it's the fact that drivers are not expecting the unexpected.

5 seconds to take your foot off the brake? Why not be even safer and take 10?

I think OP may be describing one of my peeves, instead of just wanting folks to race away.
What I see is folks waiting through 4 or 5 cycles where a minor road get a short cycle crossing a major road.
Car 2 gives 4 car lengths before moving off, car 3 gives 4 car lengths before moving off, light runs yellow, car 4 creeps through.
Since all the cars start at say 1-5 mph, 1/2 car length is plenty of reaction time IF YOU"RE PAYING ATTENTION to get more of us through a short cycle during 'rush hour'.
In my scenario above, 8 cars could start almost simultaneously, give a few feet, and, paying attention, move through while still moving a bit away from each other as they all accelerate.
My wife will notice I often pick the truck lane here, questions it, but so often 1 trucker will still accelerate (attention span -vehicle speed) faster than 3 car drivers can wake up.
If all crossed the road at, say 20 mph, THEN they would need 2 car lengths, and 8 people paying attention CAN do it.

Thank you. Too many "it's my right" folks in here. Nobody is asking people to drag race, I'm just saying the light is green and it's safe to go, let's just add a little bit of gas.

If these people drove manuals they'd be stalling.

The hilariously ironic part is they actually burn more fuel going too slowly.

It's not the driver it's a feature on my International 4300 DumbForce DT466 lolcharged derpine-6. Acceleration - HAHA. Freeway speed - 50mph take it or quit.

Intertrashional trucks it's not a defect it's a feature.

Why is it that at so many lights I can't even get through them because it takes people over ten seconds to get it up to 40?

Cars have more power than ever yet every day I see a bunch of drivers take their sweet time getting up to speed. Most of the time the light turns back to red before I even get through.

You're not being safe, you're just being an idiot. People act like their engine will explode if it goes over 3K rpm. I blame CVTs. They see higher rpms (better) and think they're giving it too much gas.
With all this covid junk going on....
You are whining about people not driving your speed. Sorry your highness, seriously grow up, pass them, get a helmet, concentrate your thoughts on something more important.
Let me guess you tailgate these people too.
This was the most self contrived and selfish post I have read in a while.

Safely pass these people with your super fast car.
Its drivers like you that make the road an unsafe place.

Why the heck would I race to the next red light like a moron, waste more gas, just to please people like you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back