People accelerating slowly from stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the aforementioned concerns about fellow drivers. I’m 69 myself but after driving professionally for 50 years I consider myself a good driver. Not overly aggressive but not a green light distracted slug either. I will say that I’ve learned that trying to drive the others persons car for them is a fools game you cannot win. Stay alert, anticipate, react appropriately. Maintaining your composure will serve you well in the long run.

There are lots of things other drivers do that annoy me, but I can't control others so I just do what I can to not get hit by others and am not in a hurry to get there.

I think one of my biggest pet peeves is when you are coming to a 4 way stop with another car already stopped, and they wait for you to completely stop before they go.

Why is it that at so many lights I can't even get through them because it takes people over ten seconds to get it up to 40?

Cars have more power than ever yet every day I see a bunch of drivers take their sweet time getting up to speed. Most of the time the light turns back to red before I even get through.

You're not being safe, you're just being an idiot. People act like their engine will explode if it goes over 3K rpm. I blame CVTs. They see higher rpms (better) and think they're giving it too much gas.
Sorry 'bout that LOL

There are lots of things other drivers do that annoy me, but I can't control others so I just do what I can to not get hit by others and am not in a hurry to get there.

I think one of my biggest pet peeves is when you are coming to a 4 way stop with another car already stopped, and they wait for you to completely stop before they go.
It's not that I don't trust you... but I don't trust you. :)

I take a different approach. I do not touch my phone when behind the wheel. However, I am a very defensive driver. If I am "pushed" from behind I go even slower. When the light turns green it's all about left right left then move out slowly. It takes me 3-5 seconds before I lift my foot off the brake. I do the speed limit or 5mph less on city streets. On the freeway it's all about maintaining a safe speed and not tailgating. When there is a construction zone I'm very slow and cautious. I come to a full and complete stop at every stop sign and 3-5 second rule "left, right, left" before lifting off the brake applies. What's the hurry? Too many people are in a hurry these days. There is no reason for it. How about planning ahead so you don't have to rush.

Here are a few of my pet peeves:

Going under the speed limit in the passing, carpool, or toll road lanes
Tailgating
On the phone
Drinking and driving
Running red lights
Rolling through stop signs
Not using turn signals
Anger behind the wheel
Not yielding
Cutting drivers off
Green light go without waiting a few seconds

How about we all learn the 5 keys of SMITH:

Aim High in the steering

Get the Big Picture

Keep Your Eyes Moving

Leave Yourself an Out

Make Sure They See You

Let's become courteous drivers. It might be asking too much just because a large group of the motoring public does not have proper training to even belong behind the wheel. And again it's rush rush rush due to poor planning. And sometimes it's the fact that drivers are not expecting the unexpected.

I visited Plano Texas and "almost" had to start drinking again. Those people are nuts. Hit it as hard as you can, for as long as you can....................hold it......................hold it........................NOW!!!!! Slam on the brakes for the red light. Unbelievable......... Not much better in Bixby OK. Geez, I'll bet a brake shop makes good money.

Many of the roads around here have soooooo many traffic lights that accelerating hard when the light turns green makes no sense because around the next bend or over the next hill crest there is another traffic light and they are not timed to allow a group of vehicles traveling at the rated road speed or any other speed to get through the next one. If you accelerate hard you are rewarded with having to break hard a short distance ahead. After doing that several times unless you are someone who enjoys the feeling of the seat belt being tight as you stop, you figure out the only thing it accomplishes is using up more gas, and putting more wear on the brakes and tires. Many of the lights are not predictable about what the next one will be if the one you just left was red and you had to wait until it turned green. And the ones that are predictable you know the next one will be red, not green. There is one stretch of road where there is a long straight run with no lights, and then a bend that you can not see around followed immediately with a section with several lights close together. The chances of all the close together lights being green is very low, yet I constantly see people flying down the long straight stretch and going around the bend while getting on the brakes hard as soon as they see that one of the lights around the bend is red. Fortunately that is a two lane road, so I just stay in the right lane, and go fast in the beginning of the long straight section, and then get off the gas and let it coast, and by the time I am going around the bend I am down to 20 MPH and do not have to get on the brakes hard. Usually while I am coasting a few sill fly by me, but 95 percent of the time I catch up to them after they do there fast stopping around the bend.

You have to adjust your speed to what the road allows. And in these cases the limit is all the red lights.

I drive off smartly on a green light but what I won't do for anybody is race up to the end of the queue at a red light. It seems to annoy some people even though they are not being held up in any real sense. The tell tale mark of an inefficient driver is the brake lights flashing on all the time.

So true! Braking is wasting.

WARNING: I will exercise my right to drive at a speed that is safe for the following distance you are leaving between the back of my vehicle and the front of your vehicle. So if you ride my back bumper do no be surprised or annoyed if I drive even slower than I was going before you caught up to me and started riding my back bumper. I am just going at a speed that is safe so if I had to slam on the brake for some reason, you would not hit my vehicle. If you want me to go fast, then do not tailgate me. And by the way, ride my back bumper even closer and I will drive even slower.

BTW, over the years I have exercised this philosophy to the extreme a handful of times. One of them was a man and is daughter in a small convertible sports car with the roof down, who rode my back bumper soooo close that I really went very slow, and the road was such that there was no way he could pass me. After several minutes of it, I stopped completely and got out and told him off in front of his daughter, in a loud voice explaining that I would like to travel faster, but that I was driving at an appropriate speed for the very short following distance he was leaving between the back of my car and the front of his.

One time I was on a long one lane in each direction road with no way to pass other cars that wound around many bends as it went down a mountain and the speed limit was 25 and everyone does at least 40. I was going around 42 and when a jerk driving a delivery truck got right on my back bumper. I slowed down to 25 all the way down the mountain. When we got to the bottom there was a red light. And the driver of vehicle behind the delivery truck hollered loud enough for me to hear him that he was not happy about my speed. I hollered back, that I have kids in the car, and the delivery truck got on my back bumper way too close, and I was going faster but it was not safe with the very close distance the truck was leaving behind me so I slowed down to the speed limit. He hollered back that he was sorry, and that I was right, and that I should report the delivery truck driver to his company. Meanwhile the delivery truck driver heard all of this, and never said a word, and I paid him no attention.

One jerk who rode my back bumper way way too close in a yellow sports car on a very busy 3 land road and got mad when I slowed down, and rode even closer, so I slowed down even more, and he rode even closer and got on the horns, so I stopped and shut off the engine. Vehicles were wizzying by both sides of him and he could not go right or left to get into either lane.

I will stop and help out a stranded motorist and have several times, and will go out of my way to help people who are in need of help, but ride my back bumper and the game is on.

Last edited:
I don't get why people race from light to light. I see this everyday: people fly around me, feeling very satisfied with themselves, then I see them in 20 seconds because of how the lights are timed.

Really, if this stresses you out, this isn't the actual issue.

I drive off at a reasonable speed when the light turns green, and drive at the speed limit. If people don't like that, I really don't care. FTR speeding around here with traffic being the way it is, is dangerous, and speeding is often impossible w/o a lot of lane changing and weaving. A lot of people do it, and often become the cause of even more traffic.

Last edited:
It only bothers me when some wait like 5 car lengths on a left turn at a light with a turn arrow. Otherwise I don’t care
No, they think they are riving sensibly and efficient. Which they aren't. They have never heard of throttle loss...

Open the throttle pretty far (but not full, to avoid excess enrichment), get her up to speed quickly, then coast and maintain speed. That is how you efficiently drive a petrol engine.

But people do not know that.

I know I don’t.

One thing I will not do is jump into an intersection the first instant that a light turns green when I am the first car in line at the red light. I have a cousin who did that at an intersection in Oakland, and someone who was trying to get through the intersection too late slammed into the side of his car even though he had a green light. People go through intersections when there light has just turned red way too often around here to ever think of jumping on the gas the first instant the light turns green. This is especially true if the intersection is situated so that you can not see clearly enough distance on the other roads if there is a vehicle coming on the roads that just got the new red light.

WARNING: I will exercise my right to drive at a speed that is safe for the following distance you are leaving between the back of my vehicle and the front of your vehicle. So if you ride my back bumper do no be surprised or annoyed if I drive even slower than I was going before you caught up to me and started riding my back bumper. I am just going at a speed that is safe so if I had to slam on the brake for some reason, you would not hit my vehicle. If you want me to go fast, then do not tailgate me. And by the way, ride my back bumper even closer and I will drive even slower.

BTW, over the years I have exercised this philosophy to the extreme a handful of times. One of them was a man and is daughter in a small convertible sports car with the roof down, who rode my back bumper soooo close that I really went very slow, and the road was such that there was no way he could pass me. After several minutes of it, I stopped completely and got out and told him off in front of his daughter, in a loud voice explaining that I would like to travel faster, but that I was driving at an appropriate speed for the very short following distance he was leaving between the back of my car and the front of his.

One time I was on a long one lane in each direction road with no way to pass other cars that wound around many bends as it went down a mountain and the speed limit was 25 and everyone does at least 40. I was going around 42 and when a jerk driving a delivery truck got right on my back bumper. I slowed down to 25 all the way down the mountain. When we got to the bottom there was a red light. And the driver of vehicle behind the delivery truck hollered loud enough for me to hear him that he was not happy about my speed. I hollered back, that I have kids in the car, and the delivery truck got on my back bumper way too close, and I was going faster but it was not safe with the very close distance the truck was leaving behind me so I slowed down to the speed limit. He hollered back that he was sorry, and that I was right, and that I should report the delivery truck driver to his company. Meanwhile the delivery truck driver heard all of this, and never said a word, and I paid him no attention.

One jerk who rode my back bumper way way too close in a yellow sports car on a very busy 3 land road and got mad when I slowed down, and rode even closer, so I slowed down even more, and he rode even closer and got on the horns, so I stopped and shut off the engine. Vehicles were wizzying by both sides of him and he could not go right or left to get into either lane.

I will stop and help out a stranded motorist and have several times, and will go out of my way to help people who are in need of help, but ride my back bumper and the game is on.

Your behavior is as bad as the guy riding your bumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back