People accelerating slowly from stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the posted speed limit now the mandatory minimum speed one must maintain under any weather conditions?

With bonus of course for going 10-20 over the posted limit. Else you will be tailgated, given the one finger salute plus a lot of other words that would be deleted if posted.

Is the posted speed limit now the mandatory minimum speed one must maintain under any weather conditions?

With bonus of course for going 10-20 over the posted limit. Else you will be tailgated, given the one finger salute plus a lot of other words that would be deleted if posted.

If you're doing it in the left lane, yeah. But very few people if any will give you problems if you do the speed limit in the right lane.

I don't think anyone is suggesting driving the speed limit in inclement weather. It helps to know your cars' limits and stay well within them. On a highway on a nice summer day I might do 90. On the same highway same summer's day with rain I'll cut it down to 60 or less depending on how conditions are. In a blizzard I might be going only 30. Also, if I'm driving my pickup truck my driving profile changes completely than if I'm driving my sports sedan where I have put on very grippy performance tire and nice brakes on.

It doesn't have to depend on weather though, sometimes I sense that traffic is bad and bad drivers are on the road, so I won't open the engine up.

It's all about adapting to the circumstances/conditions. Driving "safe" all the time is inherently unsafe.

Last edited:
This honestly discredits everything you've posted prior. You are insane.

What kind of person drives the exact same on a nice, clear, warm summer's day as they would in a whiteout blizzard?

I have warned you on more than one occasion there is no need for name calling. Let's keep the conversations polite and on point please. Pubescent behavior has no place on a grown adult based forum.

I think what is happening is some of the members are misinterpreting what I'm saying as well as me not accurately explaining it. Whenever we as drivers get behind the wheel, acceleration, steering, gear changing, and braking input, are constantly changing. This is regardless of weather, road conditions, other drivers behavior, or any other factor.

How we drive should never change. This is also regardless of weather, road conditions, other drivers behavior, or any other factor. Unfortunately this only applies to capable, responsible, and professional drivers. The rest of the motoring public will change how they drive because of weather, road conditions, other drivers behavior, or any other factor.

A capable, responsible, and professional driver drives the same all the time. For me it's always keeping 6-9 seconds distance and using the 5 keys of the SMITH System. At stops being able to see: the bottom of the rear tires of the vehicle in front of me, the limit line, the whole crosswalk, etc. At stop signs/red lights coming to a complete stop and looking left right left, then easing into the intersection and looking again before the point of no return (in the intersection). Not driving faster than what conditions permit (regardless of what those conditions are). When on a curved blind section of freeway and the speed limit is 40 (I-5 to 55 of 55 to I-5 carpool lane), you darn well better do that speed or under. If a car is stalled a human does not have the reflexes to prevent slamming into them.

I might add that not any one of us is perfect. A good driver does their very best to drive safe without confrontation and prevents collisions. Sometimes it is just not possible no matter how good you are. An example is the 14 freeway here in CA. There are sections of the freeway that are a death trap for the unwary. Wrong way drivers in the carpool lane just as you are coming up and over the crest of the hill.

Almost got hit again yesterday. I saw a lady to my right on a LONG on-ramp that also exits ALL the way on the other side of the bridge, maybe a mile away. Anyway, she decided to change lanes before her solid white line even ended, cutting me off at around the speed of 35 MPH to my 60 MPH.

I honked and braked as I saw it happening. She just completed her lane change in front of me and raised her hands up as if to say,“WTH do you want from me. I NEED to exit left after the bridge and that’s ONLY a mile away!!!”

This is another example of simply being lucky. Gore point crossers are some of the most unpredictable of all!! I have seen signal on to exit, then use the exit for a passing lane then have the right signal still on and last minute go left over the gore point and cut driver off requiring a sudden decel to let them in.

As a professional driver (on public highways), how I drive is the same in my personal vehicle as I would be in a loaded tanker.

Hopes this clears up any misunderstanding.....

Last edited:
Ive never heard of the 6-9 second rule. I’ve heard of the 2-3 second following distance rule.

I apologize to everyone if Ollie is just messing around with his previous post and I didn’t get it.
I believe that's when towing trailers.

For me it's all the time. Just habit out of training. A good way to check yourself for following to close is to know you can slow or stop safely if the person in front of you for no reason whatsoever slams on their brakes. And this also includes the ability to slow not so fast that the tailgater runs into the back of you. Thus the reason for the 6-9 second following distance rule.

Last edited:
For me it's all the time. Just habit out of training. A good way to check yourself for following to close is to know you can slow safely if the person in front of you for no reason whatsoever slams on their brakes.

It is called Trust but Verify. Stuff happens, no matter who is doing the work.

Trusting other drivers is a hard thing to do. But I get it. You can usually get a feel for drivers around you.

Actually I was responding to the other poster and his comment about professionals but yes you can tell which drivers are good and which are not. A driver who is all over the freeway is someone I will stay clear of.

PS. It seems that the posts made by opposite are being deleted thus the confusion.

I see. I really am trying to be helpful here. Driving is a challenge to all of us. Then add in my poor grammar and confusing explanations.

I have warned you on more than one occasion there is no need for name calling. Let's keep the conversations polite and on point please. Pubescent behavior has no place on a grown adult based forum.

I think what is happening is some of the members are misinterpreting what I'm saying as well as me not accurately explaining it. Whenever we as drivers get behind the wheel, acceleration, steering, gear changing, and braking input, are constantly changing. This is regardless of weather, road conditions, other drivers behavior, or any other factor.

How we drive should never change. This is also regardless of weather, road conditions, other drivers behavior, or any other factor. Unfortunately this only applies to capable, responsible, and professional drivers. The rest of the motoring public will change how they drive because of weather, road conditions, other drivers behavior, or any other factor.

A capable, responsible, and professional driver drives the same all the time. For me it's always keeping 6-9 seconds distance and using the 5 keys of the SMITH System. At stops being able to see: the bottom of the rear tires of the vehicle in front of me, the limit line, the whole crosswalk, etc. At stop signs/red lights coming to a complete stop and looking left right left, then easing into the intersection and looking again before the point of no return (in the intersection). Not driving faster than what conditions permit (regardless of what those conditions are). When on a curved blind section of freeway and the speed limit is 40 (I-5 to 55 of 55 to I-5 carpool lane), you darn well better do that speed or under. If a car is stalled a human does not have the reflexes to prevent slamming into them.

I might add that not any one of us is perfect. A good driver does their very best to drive safe without confrontation and prevents collisions. Sometimes it is just not possible no matter how good you are. An example is the 14 freeway here in CA. There are sections of the freeway that are a death trap for the unwary. Wrong way drivers in the carpool lane just as you are coming up and over the crest of the hill.

This is another example of simply being lucky. Gore point crossers are some of the most unpredictable of all!! I have seen signal on to exit, then use the exit for a passing lane then have the right signal still on and last minute go left over the gore point and cut driver off requiring a sudden decel to let them in.

As a professional driver (on public highways), how I drive is the same in my personal vehicle as I would be in a loaded tanker.

Hopes this clears up any misunderstanding.....

Driving your Corolla like you drive a tractor trailer is ridiculous. Your dedication to safety is commendable, but bordering on plain nonsense.

For example, 6-9 seconds is meaningless without factoring in required stopping distance. 6-9 seconds is different for a loaded tanker, an unloaded tanker, and a corvette with 180 treadwear tires and carbon brakes. Furthermore, speed changes the equation completely. So "ALWAYS" leaving "6-9" second is wrong because even more could be required. But leaving nearly 10 seconds (or almost ten car lengths) in a 40 zone when you're driving an up to par performance car will just piss people off and invite them to cut you off. So you're not being as safe as you think you are.

Actually I was responding to the other poster and his comment about professionals but yes you can tell which drivers are good and which are not. A driver who is all over the freeway is someone I will stay clear of.

PS. It seems that the posts made by opposite are being deleted thus the confusion.

I haven't deleted nor stealth edited anything and hope you aren't implying as such.

For me it's all the time. Just habit out of training. A good way to check yourself for following to close is to know you can slow or stop safely if the person in front of you for no reason whatsoever slams on their brakes. And this also includes the ability to slow not so fast that the tailgater runs into the back of you. Thus the reason for the 6-9 second following distance rule.

I have no issue with people leaving what I consider to be EXCESSIVE distance like you’re describing so long as people like you don’t react suddenly to what traffic is doing...6-9 seconds ahead of you. Go ahead and laugh, this may not be how you drive; however, I‘ve personally seen brake-check-type reactions when people see brake lights WAY ahead. Absolutely dangerous and ridiculous.

Personally, when I see brake lights ahead I:

1. Stay in my freaking lane! I hate the quick lane changes to “faster” lanes AS the rest of us are braking hard.

2. Immediately let off the gas and

3. put my hazards on if I see traffic coming up on us hot.

I have no issue with people leaving what I consider to be EXCESSIVE distance like you’re describing so long as people like you don’t react suddenly to traffic...6-9 seconds ahead of you. Go ahead and laugh; I‘ve personally seen brake-check-type reactions when people see brake lights WAY ahead. Absolutely dangerous and ridiculous.

Personally, when I see brake lights ahead I:

1. Stay in my freaking lane! I have the quick lane changes to “faster” lanes AS the rest of us are braking hard.

2. Immediately let off the gas and

3. put my hazards on if I see traffic coming up on us hot.

Ah yes those. Hands down the worst drivers I've come across. Make an emergency stop for no reason.

With your level of disrespect, it’s not YOU who will be doing the deleting...

You're proposing mods are deleting them? If so, which posts and why haven't they notified me? I don't see any reason for anything I've written to be deleted.

What disrespect? Show me something "disrespectful" I've written.

It's a good thing cars can't fly yet. Even though I'm not a pilot, I was taught to drive ANY vehicle with precision, like you're flying a plane with precious cargo onboard. The worst thing you can do is take off like a bat out of hell without checking out cross traffic, etc. Driving for conditions, and being defensive is the key. Not being an ahole too. Being considerate is also a big part, since everyone flying down the road is not perfect, including myself..

Last edited:
Ollie,

What happened to me with the lady on the bridge wasn't luck, it's called keeping an eye out. I reacted so quickly that my reactive brake system didn't even beep at me once. I'm not always so skillful; the second part of keeping an eye out is pattern recognition. I see people carve a 45 degree angle across this section of the bridge, RIGHT at the entrance, pretty often. It's comical when it's far off in the distance, scary as hell when it's feet in front of your own bumper.

Ah yes those. Hands down the worst drivers I've come across. Make an emergency stop for no reason.

Right, and I'm giving Ollie the benefit of the doubt when he's bragging about how safe he is. He may be the safest guy on the road for that, I wish I could drive around and behind guys like him all the time. I'd rather give him the benefit of the doubt than assume he's one of the jerks who drive SO "carefully" that he makes things dangerous for the rest of us.

If I see traffic coming to a halt ahead on a freeway or highway I slow down and use my brake lights as a signal to drivers behind me that things are slowing down. It is my experience that a lot of drivers do not look far ahead and are just concentrating on traffic directly in front of them.

In most cases freeway traffic comes to a stop pretty quick. I can stop in plenty of time but I don’t know about the person behind me.

You're proposing mods are deleting them? If so, which posts and why haven't they notified me? I don't see any reason for anything I've written to be deleted.

What disrespect? Show me something "disrespectful" I've written.

I don't report posts often and have not done so in this case. That doesn't mean that Ollie wouldn't be in his right to do so...

I was responding to PimTac's comment, btw, post # 229.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back