Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40

Pardon me if it’s already been discussed. I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Hemi, and the owner’s manual calls for Mopar 0W-40 or equivalent (PUP). I just did my first oil change today at 3,900 miles. Sent a sample to Blackstone. What are people’s opinions on this oil? I want to continue to use it because I have a 150,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with no time limit, and am keeping meticulous files on maintenance. I assume using what they recommend is probably best in case I ever have to avail myself of the warranty. I haven’t been able to figure out if the cam failures have been rectified on the 5th gen 6.4.

All of the 0w40's from what I've seen perform similarly. Very close in performance and most meet the same specifications. They usually drop to the upper 11cSt range during use which is expected and normal for this type of oil.

Cool. Thank you. I have to admit that a lot of what is discussed on here is way over my head.

I’m going to do oil analysis every change. I’ll do the next one at 5k. Depending on the results, I’ll stretch the interval. I only drive the truck 8k a year or so. I’ve had it since November and have 4K on it. My commute is short and I ride my Grom whenever the weather permits. It gets 100mpg. The truck said I still had 45% oil life left.

True, but even tho it is not applicable to his use, it appears to be the only 0w-40 not formulated for extended drains.
I think PUP 0W-40 is the only mid-SAPS option. All of the other ones are full SAPS.

Also, I am more curious about your 150K bumper to bumper warranty. Mopar doesn't offer one. Who is it with?

I’m going to do oil analysis every change. I’ll do the next one at 5k. Depending on the results, I’ll stretch the interval. I only drive the truck 8k a year or so. I’ve had it since November and have 4K on it. My commute is short and I ride my Grom whenever the weather permits. It gets 100mpg. The truck said I still had 45% oil life left.
I sent in an oil analysis for the Grom too. Curious what a 10,000rpm wet clutch motorcycle’s results will be.

I think PUP 0W-40 is the only mid-SAPS option. All of the other ones are full SAPS.

Also, I am more curious about your 150K bumper to bumper warranty. Mopar doesn't offer one. Who is it with?
It’s thru a company called Roadvantage. I bought the warranty thru the dealer, Dave Smith. They are the largest Dodge Ram dealer in the world. They are one of very few who offer it. It was 5 grand, but with how expensive repairs are on modern vehicles, I thought it made sense. It even covers dings and interior, keyless fobs. I can take it to the repair facility of my choice and they will give them a credit card number. I have yet to use it so we’ll see.

There's no good reason to perform an analysis until you've completed 2-3 full interval oil changes. There is too much contamination from the assembly process that results in skewed data to make the analysis worthwhile.

You'll just be looking at numbers and discounting high silicon and iron readings.

What are people’s opinions on this oil?
Any API 0w40 from Walmart will work for your truck. PP or PUP are good choices and will serve you well. Regular oil changes and good filters are 1000x more important than brand of oil. Don't go down the rabbit hole of which is "best" oil. The "best" oil is clean API certified 0w40 that's specd for your truck.

Most 0w40's available at Walmart meet European makers specifications (MB229.5, VW502/505, BMW LL etc...)..I don't believe that's the case with PUP 0w40....am I correct?

Correct it’s only the MS-A0921 spec

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 142
Most 0w40's available at Walmart meet European makers specifications (MB229.5, VW502/505, BMW LL etc...)..I don't believe that's the case with PUP 0w40....am I correct?

Yep, it's basically a GF-5 SN version of a 0w-40; it's formulated like your generic 5w-30 in terms of additive package but in a 0w-40. Like most API SN "Energy conserving" 5w-30's, it also has higher Noack.

The original SRT 0w-40 was Mobil 1 0w-40. This product was tossed together when FIAT bought Chrysler in the bankruptcy. It was a very quick product to come to market and I personally don't think it's a very remarkable oil with a very "generic" additive package and obviously very light base oils (hence the high volatility).

The Euro 0w-40's have to go through much more stringent testing, have higher AW additive levels and lower volatility. They also have to be formulated for deposit control over extended drains. They jump through FAR more hoops and are subsequently arguably better lubes.

Does that make a difference? I don't know, but I've decided to err on the side of caution with my SRT's.

It’s thru a company called Roadvantage. I bought the warranty thru the dealer, Dave Smith. They are the largest Dodge Ram dealer in the world. They are one of very few who offer it. It was 5 grand, but with how expensive repairs are on modern vehicles, I thought it made sense. It even covers dings and interior, keyless fobs. I can take it to the repair facility of my choice and they will give them a credit card number. I have yet to use it so we’ll see.
Dave Smith Motors of Kellogg, Idaho, I believe. Many Alaskans fly down to Spokane, where a Dave Smith employee meets them at the airport and drives them to the dealer to complete or finalize a sale. Alaskans drive their new truck back up the Al-Can Hwy to Alaska.

Believe me, Dave Smith provides enough of a deal as compared to the few Alaska dealers that the "new truck vacation" and drive back north pays for itself.

Yep, it's basically a GF-5 SN version of a 0w-40; it's formulated like your generic 5w-30 in terms of additive package but in a 0w-40. Like most API SN "Energy conserving" 5w-30's, it also has higher Noack.

The original SRT 0w-40 was Mobil 1 0w-40. This product was tossed together when FIAT bought Chrysler in the bankruptcy. It was a very quick product to come to market and I personally don't think it's a very remarkable oil with a very "generic" additive package and obviously very light base oils (hence the high volatility).

The Euro 0w-40's have to go through much more stringent testing, have higher AW additive levels and lower volatility. They also have to be formulated for deposit control over extended drains. They jump through FAR more hoops and are subsequently arguably better lubes.

Does that make a difference? I don't know, but I've decided to err on the side of caution with my SRT's.
I agree...if I wanted to use a 0w40 in one of my (non-European) vehicles....it would be Mobil 1 or Castrol which met those tough European spec's.

I have a couple of qts. of Pennzoil SRT 0w40 (DOM 2014) from the AZ 'Clearance'...I'll probably use them with PU or PUP 5w20 in my Ford Duratech 2.5...sort of a 'Caterham brew' of 1/2 qt. of 0w40 mixed with 5+ qts. of 5w20 (5.7qt. capacity in my 2.5 Escape).

Overkill: Are you saying the original Mobil 1 SRT 0w40 or the Pennzoil version are not "very remarkable oil with a "generic" additive package...and very light base oil (hence high volatility)"? That's my understanding of the Pennzoil....was Mobil's the same?

Overkill: Are you saying the original Mobil 1 SRT 0w40 or the Pennzoil version are not "very remarkable oil with a "generic" additive package...and very light base oil (hence high volatility)"? That's my understanding of the Pennzoil....was Mobil's the same?

There was no Mobil 1 SRT 0w-40, the original SRT oil was Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro which as we know was very robust. The Pennzoil SRT oil that was very quickly put together to replace it is the product that's very unremarkable and clearly uses very light base oils based on the volatility and the additive package looks like your regular SOPUS 5w-30.

I could probably have been more clear on my wording of that.

Reactions: pbm
Back