Penzoil ultra and high mileage

Hi all. I bought Penzoil high mileage and I have 2qt. Ultra platinum left from last oil change. I would like to combine but I just want to hear your expertise will maybe a different additives work one against another or not.
Thank you.

It should be fine. But, what car is this for? If the car requires synthetic, I would not mix them. If the car uses conventional: no problem.
And, Welcome to BITOG!

Check out this video. It's project farm which is a controversial topic on this site but this video doesn't have much controversy, he mixes a bunch of oil, uses it then sends it to blackstone for testing. TLDW, it worked out just fine mixing 10 different oils. You will be fine with 2.

Check out this video. It's project farm which is a controversial topic on this site but this video doesn't have much controversy, he mixes a bunch of oil, uses it then sends it to blackstone for testing. TLDW, it worked out just fine mixing 10 different oils. You will be fine with 2.

I don't understand all of the Project Farm hate on this forum.

He just tries to provide his viewers with some entertainment.

One problem here is that the Blackstone analysis isn't going to show that the resulting mixture would still carry any license, specification nor approval that any of the original oils may have had. It also won't show if a winter rating is maintained, if that's important. The only thing the Blackstone report will show is if it meets the viscosity of the grade(s) used which isn't really a question.

Blackstone reports aren't going to show whether the oil was "bad" or "good" either, UOA don't show that. What about all the aspects of API SN or SP? Does the mixture meet all of those? Not a thing on that Blackstone report will confirm the vast majority of those requirements. Considering all of the oils used to make the mixture are API licensed that means they already have been shown to pass ASTM D6922 which means we already know they won't cause harm.

One problem here is that the Blackstone analysis isn't going to show that the resulting mixture would still carry any license, specification nor approval that any of the original oils may have had. It also won't show if a winter rating is maintained, if that's important. The only thing the Blackstone report will show is if it meets the viscosity of the grade(s) used which isn't really a question.

Blackstone reports aren't going to show whether the oil was "bad" or "good" either, UOA don't show that. What about all the aspects of API SN or SP? Does the mixture meet all of those? Not a thing on that Blackstone report will confirm the vast majority of those requirements. Considering all of the oils used to make the mixture are API licensed that means they already have been shown to pass ASTM D6922 which means we already know they won't cause harm.
The video is an extreme example to give OP the confidence that mixing two different brands of 0w20 or whatever he's using, is just fine.

The video is an extreme example to give OP the confidence that mixing two different brands of 0w20 or whatever he's using, is just fine.
Which we already knew via passing ASTM D6922 and gaining an API license, something far more meaningful than a dood on the Internet with a video camera and a $30 spectrographic analysis.

It should be fine. But, what car is this for? If the car requires synthetic, I would not mix them. If the car uses conventional: no problem.
And, Welcome to BITOG!
Thanks for your reply. My vehicle is Ram 1500 hemi and both oils are from Penzoil and both are full synthetic. I am going to mix them. Also thanks to all others that reply.

Hi all. I bought Penzoil high mileage and I have 2qt. Ultra platinum left from last oil change. I would like to combine but I just want to hear your expertise will maybe a different additives work one against another or not.
Thank you.
Why would you need advice on using the oils? Where did you get the idea that different additives work against each other? Look in the uoa/voa section all the additives are the same and automotive oil are compatible.

Which we already knew via passing ASTM D6922 and gaining an API license, something far more meaningful than a dood on the Internet with a video camera and a $30 spectrographic analysis.
If it on the internet or the Tv it is the truth,, obey!

The problem is his tests are in no way SAE certified and viewers are viewing them thinking they are gospel.
Who cares, not one oil he tested would cause an uninformed person any harm as every oil in his "tournament bracket" was API certified. Most people here would agree his testing isn't perfect and is more for entertainment.

Not this guy again. He was testing regular and syn oil between different weight on freezer test and conclude one is better than the other.

Who cares, not one oil he tested would cause an uninformed person any harm as every oil in his "tournament bracket" was API certified. Most people here would agree his testing isn't perfect and is more for entertainment.
I’m not saying anyone cares. But go check out the comments on his videos, people blindly start commenting stating they will switch to Brand X because one of the oils performed better in high his oil evaporation test, or cold flow test.

The problem is his tests are in no way scientific so posting videos about which oil performs better isn’t the real truth. I’m sure you would rather see real scientific data with certified tests, as opposed to some homemade garage tests, right?

Why would you need advice on using the oils? Where did you get the idea that different additives work against each other? Look in the uoa/voa section all the additives are the same and automotive oil are compatible.

I was over 90% sure in compatibility. I just needed to hear from someone better informed. Penzoil for his ultra is saying that has an additive to clean the pistons, could be a kind of thinner. For high mileage they are saying has an additive to improve sealing, could be a gelly and when combined could neutralize and has an effect of lower rated oil without both additives. And as I said over 90% sure will be ok. I asked with respect and trust to this forum. Also thank you too.

I was over 90% sure in compatibility. I just needed to hear from someone better informed. Penzoil for his ultra is saying that has an additive to clean the pistons, could be a kind of thinner. For high mileage they are saying has an additive to improve sealing, could be a gelly and when combined could neutralize and has an effect of lower rated oil without both additives. And as I said over 90% sure will be ok. I asked with respect and trust to this forum. Also thank you too.
There are only a handful of oil additive manufactures in the world because of the high cost of developing the additive packages and the cost of testing. Similar rated oils are more alike than they are different. .Oils have to have maximum and minimum Standards in seal swell. parts wear, pumping temps etc. I can't tell what additives Pennzoil adds that makes their oil clean better than other oils? People here used to say Pennzoil Yellow bottle oil cleaned real good yet the additive package wasn't any different in additives that would "clean ".

Back