Penzoil Platinum 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our sponsors pay for the privledge of sponsoring, so there are direct links to their products. Other brands do not pay this fee so it is against the rules to have a "direct link" to them. You can state the name of other places as Autozone, Advance, oilstore, etc., you just cannot have a direct link to them.

Thank you Johnny. There is no double standard. Sponsors can direct link, others may not. Direct links to other sites, like youtube, even mobiloil (where nothing is sold, but PDS and product info is available), etc. are more than welcome, it is when a sales site comes up that there is an issue.

Johnny's attempt at a website link above was pushing it, IMO. Stating that it can be bought at oilstore is one thing, providing a link or a cloaked attempt at a link to a company that is not a sponsor is another thing.

Our sponsors pay for the ability to discuss their products before an audience who is interested in goods and services related to lubrication, typically automotive related. The site is NOT about selling anything, and it has generally been the attempt to not allow showcasing of sponsors' products (though non-sponsor users sometimes document tests, sponsors provide product insight, etc.). However, limited sponsorship is appreciated, as it makes this site available for all to use. It is not fair to them for others, whether distributors, other amsoil dealers, etc. to get freely linked to without paying for the privilege.

If hosting a website was free, and it could just be open to all, perhaps free linking would be OK. Since this is the real world, it doesnt happen that way. There is no double standard, you pay, you link. If you dont pay, you can only be discussed.

There is a difference between a seller selling his wares and a consumer recommending which products he thinks are good and informing others where they can purchase them.

If someone, not affiliated with any company, says "XYZ Lube" is a great product and I want to try it out, that someone ought to be able to tell me where I can get it. He isn't selling me anything; he is just telling me where he bought it from and what his experiences were. If he has a vested interest in the company and its sales, then of course he isn't being honest and should be considered an advertiser rather than a consumer who wants to share information.

There are plenty of enthusiast websites out there that allow discussion of 3rd party products and their sales pages. BITOG is actually fairly unique in this policy, so I don't buy the argument that it is necessary.

I would take it that telling someone to open Google, type in "XYZ Lubes", and clicking on the first link isn't against the rules, right?

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification everybody. While I agree with AlanRebod that it might be an odd line to draw, I understand where the line being drawn is and the logic behind it. I also appreciate now understanding what I can (and cannot) tell people. I didn't realize until today that the forbidden part is simply the hyperlink.

Thanks,
Bryan

Originally Posted By: AlanRebod

If someone, not affiliated with any company, says "XYZ Lube" is a great product and I want to try it out, that someone ought to be able to tell me where I can get it. He isn't selling me anything; he is just telling me where he bought it from and what his experiences were. If he has a vested interest in the company and its sales, then of course he isn't being honest and should be considered an advertiser rather than a consumer who wants to share information.

Helen can correct me if I am wrong, but generally, there is no issue with that. If you posted "where can I get the best price on PP 5w-30", and somebody replied Wal-mart, that is OK.

It so happens that wal-mart doesnt seem to show oil prices and wares on their website, so the linking is not an issue.

It is one thing if someone is linking to a SALES site, where a product can be bought directly. It is another thing to state that the product can be found in XYZ store, but not linked.

I spotted some Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 at a Canadian Tire near my house yesterday (for those in my area, it's at the Meadowvale Town Center location)

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
There is no double standard, you pay, you link.

Here in Illinois it's called, pay to play!
crackmeup2.gif
Sorry, I couldn't resist. No harm meant.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I bought a 5 qt jug at Wal Mart for under $25. The shelf was full of it.

Of 0w-20?! Or 5w-20? I was under the impression that Pennzoil didn't make their 0w-20 in 5 quart jugs. Of course I would love to find out otherwise.

-Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back