penzoil platinium and valvoline synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys!
Quick question please! are penzoil platinium and valvoline synpower the PAO oils or HC groupIII?
Thanks in advance!

Pennzoil Platinum is formulated with a new synthetic base oil, Ethylene alpha-Olefin coPolymer, or EOP for short. EOP has similar physical properties to a PAO base oil.

Valvoline Synpower has historically been a Grp III based motor oil. Some rumors here indicate that a switch to PAO is in the works, but we have no verification that this is true.

quote:

Pennzoil Platinum is formulated with a new synthetic base oil, Ethylene alpha-Olefin coPolymer, or EOP for short. EOP has similar physical properties to a PAO base oil.

I no speaket da englesh.

Thanks! that clears everything.
In your opinion how far can you "push" pennzoil platinium or valvoline synpower before change it?
BMW reccomends 24000 km(15K miles)or 2 years with their 5w/30 brand oil, which is LL 01(long life)and made for them by castrol(probably Softec TXT Plus).

I would go half-that (7.5K)... twice with Platinum. Then on the 2nd OCI, don't drain it at 7.5K - just drain enough oil for a UOA. Get it done by Blackstone to verify oil life remaining.

Since these two oils are US produced for the US market I wouldn't reccommend them for 15,000 mile oil change intervals in European driven cars. Your driving conditions are different and your cars are set up differently than ours. You could possibly go to 15,000 miles but I'd do an used oil analysis around 9,000 miles first to see what your wear metals are at and how much if any life is left in the oil. Vehicles and your driving circumstances in addition to the oil type determine how far you can go on an oil change.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back