Calcium 5180 - 2900
Magnesium 12 - 139
Phosphorus1277 - 933
Zinc 1699 - 1185

SUS@210 77.2 - 70-83
Flashpt 420 - greater than 410
Fuel less than .5 - 2.0
Insolubles less than .5 - .7

Notes: Oil being burned, no leaks. I thinks there is a leak(air) in the intake manifold gasket. Possible faulty EGR valve and/or clogged EGR tube could be the problem as well. CEL been going on/off since early Feb.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Wow. I'd say it looks pretty good but listen to others on the board that are more experienced.
I was just looking at the oil itself and like seeing the high amounts of moly coming from Pennzoil. I think I'll change back to Pennz here pretty soon from all the uoa's they I've read recently. I think the higher than average amounts of P and Ca are from the Auto RX. I say it looks pretty good.

Well..it looks like a good report....but remember with the dilution this is about equal to a 1500 mile run. With a 40 wt oil you can expect little wear at that milage. Like I said I am not really downing it but the value of the information is somewhat questionable. And, what about the silicon? What would it look like at 5000 miles with no makeup?? Probably not too good. I agree you probable have some inleakage somewhere. And note the Al is 4-thats a clue (silicon+Al= dirt). Not sure what's up with the Ca. ??
confused.gif

[ June 02, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

I can't remember when the truck started using oil but my guess is around 50k. I did run 2 treatments of RX, and will run the maint doze until the third bottle is spent. IMO, it did not reduce consumption but engine seems to be quiter and MPG might be up just a tiny bit. The workshop manual allows up to 50w depending on temp;the only thing it does not list is 10w40. Oddly enough, the top off oil on this cycle is half quart more than the mix of Castrol GTX & High Mileage 10w30 used 2 oil changes prior to this one. The truck is going to the shop Wed for EGR system and intake manifold check which could be contributing to incomplete combustion/blowby.

Note: This oil ran from early April. Engine speed mostly at 3k rpm with occasional full throttle @6200 rpm.

[ June 02, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: pinoy99 ]

The motor seems to use oil even without the current issues mentioned so there is always dilution. Oil changes are done 3-5k miles;rarely going >4k. Truck is using open oiled hi-flow filter which could allow more dirt. I forgot to mention that TBN is 12.

Interesting. We've got a 93 Trooper that has used a qt every 1k miles since about 30k. I see you are using a maintenance dose of RX. Did it help reduce consumption at all? Also, doesnt't the manual call for a 3o wt oil? Did the 40w reduce consumption?

Those numbers look great, especially for an engine with that mileage! In fact, the wear numbers are very similar to that of my 01 Trooper with 34k. Good luck with the intake gasket fix, that seems to be a common problem for 98/99 models. FYI, you could easily check (and clean) the EGR yourself. Other owners report that the rubber tubing underneath the EGR tends to clog up or come loose, which may trigger CEL. Don't forget to also check the PCV valve, in fact start with it first if you haven't had it replaced lately. Good luck!

Since wear values does seems good, the only concern now is the oil useage. Hopefully the EGR valve/pipe tube cleaning and intake gasket fix will bring the consumption down. The pcv valve was replaced(no issue with the oem one) not too long ago but that will be inspected and replaced if necessary as well. I guess the worse case is that the oil use will continue but at least the wear is minimal.

I'm running Castrol High Mileage 10w30 now and after 858 miles, I've only added 1 pint to bring the oil to the top level. Maybe this oil resist blowby better. I'm planning to run this brand/weight again next fill and get another UOA for comparison.

Ok, AutoZone pulled the codes on truck:
P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2
AZ interpreted them as oxygen sensors but I know it's the leaking IMGs.
P0402 - EGR Excessive Flow Detected
P1401 - EGR Valve Stuck Closed
So it seems that I have a defective EGR valve, and the shop I'm going to tomorrow have it on stock($125). Part of the procedure when replacing the valve is to clean carbon/soot out of the egr tube/passages.

I originaly thought that the CEL is only giving the codes for the leak but the EGR system came to play when trying to diagnose oil consumption concern.

Doesn't Blackstone take into account the oil used when providing the results? I'd check with them. If that's the case the results look positively amazing instead of merely impressive.
smile.gif

Where is the boron coming from? The Auto-RX?? If that boron is in the Pennzoil, my opinion of it has gone up even higher.
grin.gif

Calcium is part of the detergent package. Diesel/fleet oils designed with extended but with a level this high, I'd suspect at least some of that is from the AutoRX as well.
dunno.gif

Any reason you didn't go with Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle oil? I'd think it would be the equal or better to the Castrol (base oil) and you certainly are getting great results from their 15W40 fleet oil.
cool.gif

--- Bror Jace

Here's the VOA of Pennzoil LL 15w40 posted 8/8/02. I've been keeping an eye on this oil,the additive package looks outstanding.They also have a 10w30 Long Life rated CF/SJ in 5 gal. pails.A guy I work with is planning on running the 15w40 LL in his van this summer,and will run the 10w30 LL this coming winter.I'm really hoping to get an analysis off of him and posting it.

Thanks for the link RB. I saw that before but didn't remember the boron.
blush.gif

Hmmm ... I thought I saw somewhere that Pennzoil LL 15W40 had something like 180PPM of moly?
confused.gif

Oh well, with the frequency that formulas change, the above may be out of date by now.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

According to Pennzoil Tech Support, Moly is 125 ppm.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Thanks for the link RB. I saw that before but didn't remember the boron.
blush.gif

Hmmm ... I thought I saw somewhere that Pennzoil LL 15W40 had something like 180PPM of moly?
confused.gif

Oh well, with the frequency that formulas change, the above may be out of date by now.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Doesn't Blackstone take into account the oil used when providing the results? I'd check with them. If that's the case the results look positively amazing instead of merely impressive.
smile.gif

I think the top off oil is refected in the result but I'll double check.

Calcium is part of the detergent package. Diesel/fleet oils designed with extended but with a level this high, I'd suspect at least some of that is from the AutoRX as well.

Could be due to the top off oil too - as per explanation of the analysis.

Any reason you didn't go with Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle oil? I'd think it would be the equal or better to the Castrol (base oil) and you certainly are getting great results from their 15W40 fleet oil.
cool.gif

Already had 7 quarts of the Castrol in the garage prior to using Penz LL. I might run an analysis on my second run of Castrol then do Penz HM 10w30 or 15w40 synthetic blend for the summer.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
Are insolubles same as total dissolved solids? And if so is this reading high?

As per analysis - .5% is evelated but normal;better would be .3-.4%.

I had the EGR valve checked - functions normal but the egr tube is partially blocked by carbon/soot that could be causing the additional oil consumption/blowby. Anyway, the EGR system is back to specs and the intake manifold air leak was fixed(new gaskets) as well.

Amazing how oil analysis can point to the cure for unseen issues, isn't it ?

I am now thinking of running 5-6oz neutra in the oil 300-500 miles prior to drain to further clean the engine. Will also add 12-18oz of neutra to the 22.5 gal tank before the change as well.

Thoughts? TIA

quote:

Doesn't Blackstone take into account the oil used when providing the results?
--- Bror Jace

Please explain further for me. How / why would they take oil used into account in the results? The elements measured in the oil are what they are regardless of consumption or makeup oil and that is what they are reporting, right? Please explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back