Pentastar 3.6 Charger-Amsoil 5w20

My last Report with Amsoil 5w20 SS at 5000 Miles looked excellent and the TBN was at 4.6. I do not believe in long oil intervals, here is Why CARBON, now before I get the typical Hate speech about wasting money let me explain. To me, oil is cheap engines are expensive, I own my vehicles until the wheels fall off. I will run the Signature Series to 7500 miles but not a mile more. My Theory is this - A Happy Oil is a Clean Oil.

Welcome!!
Excellent speech.

Typically, the usefulness of sentences containing words with all caps is the inverse of the of the total number of capitalized letters in said sentence.

What does all caps get you that not all caps doesn't get you?
You kept it to six letters.
So there's that.

Last edited:
Welcome!!
Excellent speech.

Typically, the usefulness of sentences containing words with all caps is the inverse of the of the total number of capitalized letters in said sentence.

So there's that.
The horror of capital letters. Maybe some people have a seizure when they see them.

My last Report with Amsoil 5w20 SS at 5000 Miles looked excellent and the TBN was at 4.6. I do not believe in long oil intervals, here is Why CARBON, now before I get the typical Hate speech about wasting money let me explain. To me, oil is cheap engines are expensive, I own my vehicles until the wheels fall off. I will run the Signature Series to 7500 miles but not a mile more. My Theory is this - A Happy Oil is a Clean Oil.
I agree with you about carbon. What did the D4055 membrane test show for soot and what have you set as the condemnation limit? I wasn't even aware the Pentastar was direct injection.

Last edited:
I have the same theory as you have, except I do 10K OCIs (45 years now) with outstanding results. Just sayin.

Welcome!!
Excellent speech.

So there's that.
Thanks, Mr. Grammerly. We all appreciate you coming down into steerage to enlighten us.

As for the Pentastar, for the number of them out there, there has to be many, many examples with long OCI's and neglect. But I've not seen many photos or examples with them all gunked up. I've seen a number of photos with 7k OCI's that look clean as can be.

I like 5k OCI's but I think this engine does fine with much longer runs. With the inflation we are seeing, I may stretch my OCI's out to 7500 or 8k just to save a few bucks and some oil resources.

That cheap insurance theory is total hogwash in most cases especially with n/a, pi engines. To top it all off you're using an oil that is unnecessary in your case. Wasteful for sure. I use Amsoil SS but I do 12-15k mile oci's.

I change my oil in my 2020 Jeep twice a year 5w 20 QS syn in March and then again in Sept....I dont drive much I filled up Jan 2nd and just filled up again March 3rd using mid grade Kroger gas because of the discount. Being retired I try to let other people drive as much as possible. I love my Jeep .....with almost 300 HP on tap IMHO is one of the best looking SUV's out there. I use to love the Toyota 4 Runner till they ruined its looks plus im not paying almost 50k for one.
When i bought the Jeep the craze was the Kia Telluride which i almost bought till i looked at the final numbers and thet added 5375.00 dealer markup....now its pretty common i see but back in Feb 2020 when I was going to buy it ....it was not.
I get right around 20 mpg In my Jeep and with QS I see no reason to change anytme soon......

I've read a lot about the Pentastar 3.6 and using 5-30 over 5-20 even when it says 5-20 on the cap. They are good engines with an obvious Mercedes influence in design. Other than the crap lifters and randomly cracking flexplates which have plagued Chrysler products for 3 decades. I have one in my Promaster 2500 59" wheelbase and it is plenty of power....the transaxle....well thats another subject.

That cheap insurance theory is total hogwash in most cases especially with n/a, pi engines. To top it all off you're using an oil that is unnecessary in your case. Wasteful for sure. I use Amsoil SS but I do 12-15k mile oci's.
Hog wash Really, All I know I have a Camry 320,000 miles still running Son drives it and a Ford 4.6 1997 F150 255,000 that has Pulled Hauled just about anything. So you may not agree but this works for me ---Hog wash LMAO

I change my oil in my 2020 Jeep twice a year 5w 20 QS syn in March and then again in Sept....I dont drive much I filled up Jan 2nd and just filled up again March 3rd using mid grade Kroger gas because of the discount. Being retired I try to let other people drive as much as possible. I love my Jeep .....with almost 300 HP on tap IMHO is one of the best looking SUV's out there. I use to love the Toyota 4 Runner till they ruined its looks plus im not paying almost 50k for one.
When i bought the Jeep the craze was the Kia Telluride which i almost bought till i looked at the final numbers and thet added 5375.00 dealer markup....now its pretty common i see but back in Feb 2020 when I was going to buy it ....it was not.
I get right around 20 mpg In my Jeep and with QS I see no reason to change anytme soon......
On my 3.6 Charger my UOAs look great except High Copper seems to be a thing with the Pentastar Engine

someone on here who knows one of the chrysler engineers for the pentastar motor was pretty adamant that the new PUG motor was designed specially for 0w20z not sure what year yours is

Who said it was???? I never stated anything like that
You basically did. Like I said total waste, you could have used any major brand synthetic and had the same results. Using that oil in this case is overkill, kind of like more is always better way of thinking. You did nothing but lighten your wallet unnecessarily. Bye, bye $$. Keep LAO, which is also a waste of laughter.

Back