Pennzoil's Pure Base/Chevron-Havoline ISO-SYN= Group II+??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevron said plainly on their website that their 5W30 and 10W30 Supreme were Group II+. This info is fairly old ... maybe 2001-2002.

However, I've seen newer bottles of 10W40 which also have the "Isosyn" label on them.

I'm assuming "Isosyn" refers to isomerization (converting hydrocarbons into different forms) which I believe qualifies this stuff to be a Group II or II+ depending on the degree it is performed.

So, whenever you see "Isosyn," it's a definite maybe that it's a Group II+.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

PureBase and Isosyn can be either Group II or II+. Chevron calls their Group III "UCBO," as in "unconventional base oil."

I consider Pennzoil a first-class oil, but you want something that is harder to find than SLX, at least around here, try to find their Euro formula oils (up until recently only available in a 5W40). I imagine Pennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30 is a great oil, but will you be able to find it?

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I consider Pennzoil a first-class oil, but you want something that is harder to find than SLX, at least around here, try to find their Euro formula oils (up until recently only available in a 5W40). I imagine Pennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30 is a great oil, but will you be able to find it?

Here's a little tid-bit you'll find interesting: According to Johnny with Pennzoil, the upcoming Penn 5w30 Ultra and QuakerState 5w30 Ultra will simply be relabeled Shell Helix Ultra AB 5w30. When these oils do finally hit the market, they will be the only other OTC oils in the US besides Mobil 1 0w40 that meet MB 229.5—that is unless GC starts coming with the 229.5 rating.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

Here's a little tid-bit you'll find interesting: According to Johnny with Pennzoil, the upcoming Penn 5w30 Ultra and QuakerState 5w30 Ultra will simply be relabeled Shell Helix Ultra AB 5w30. When these oils do finally hit the market, they will be the only other OTC oils in the US besides Mobil 1 0w40 that meet MB 229.5—that is unless GC starts coming with the 229.5 rating.

Stop...stop...you are driving me crazy...I could have given SLX my undivided attention if you hadn't told me PZ Ultra was relabled Helix Ultra...sounds like Castrol beat Shell to the table!!!! Thanks to you and Johhny for the great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back