Originally Posted By: rw19
really?

Youre hittin troll status....
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Sort'a apples & oranges!

PYB should be compared to VWB.
PHM should be measured against VML.

Exactly, they are aimed at different usages.

How can anyone hate VML? A great oil. PYB is also, but if i was 'long in the toothe' then Max gets the nod...

These two are not really comparable, if your car is leaking or burning I would use MaxLife, if not use PYB.

Even though this is an apples/oranges comparo, the question still stands. As such, i would go with Maxlife for the reasons Zeadock listed. We know Maxlife is part syn, we assume PYB has GTL. Also, as has been mentioned in other threads and can be found on Valvoline's website, Maxlife is perfectly fine for newer vehiles. I know, that last sentance is debatable to some. But, either one is a great product and you can't go wrong.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I thought it was you needed a rock for brains to buy Max Junk. That makes the discussion easy. Use PYB.

Again with the trolling? Really?

ML is one of the better 'semi-syn' oils on the shelf, and it's a great performer. That said, I have a crush on PYB- results, both lab and real life are very compelling. If you really need the seal conditioning etc, go for the ML. If the engine is relatively tight, go with the PYB- good Moly and Boron (I'm a moron for boron) and yeah, gotta say it, outstanding volatility.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I thought it was you needed a rock for brains to buy Max Junk. That makes the discussion easy. Use PYB.

This may explain some things guys:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Val#Post2860520

That explains it. He had a bad experience with MaxLife ATF in his transmission, and now he thinks everything that Valvoline makes is sewer water, and everybody that uses Valvoline products has rocks in their heads. I'm not bashing him, because from his point of view, the transmission was working fine until he put VML in it, then it failed almost immediately. But it never was adequately explained why his transmission failed and why thousands of other people that use VML in their transmissions don't have any problems.

Last edited:
If you read his tranny thread, he started to replace the fluid with ML over 4 weekends and didn't have an issue until he changed the filter and gaskets.

Chemistry is an unknown on both oils,
so we only have subjective experiences. Yaris shredded SM PYB down to water during an impromptu but extended street race. That was it for me.
Havent tried the new formulation, hopefully its better the previous weakling.

I don't believe Yaris and Race can be used in the same sentence.

Did you test the viscosity of the shredded oil between your fingers?

Both are fantastic lubes and very high on my "frequently used" list. IMO Maxlife would be the better choice for a frequent short tripper or an aging ride though. Not that you could ever go wrong with PYB.

Either or, don't listen to brand loyalty. I had perfect experiences with both. I find the ML quieter, but that may just be my own findings and situation, nor does sound really matter if both are working fine. If prices are the same or within a dollar for a jug, I would lean towards the ML because it is advertised as and we know is a semi synthetic.

You need to read the thread. What you said is wrong.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
If you read his tranny thread, he started to replace the fluid with ML over 4 weekends and didn't have an issue until he changed the filter and gaskets.

NO. It was the sound of 1 rod knocking and VVT actuator clacking. Ran WHITE Yardman 5w30 HD synthetic and this racket never happened again. More so with 10w30 Rotella Triple Protect - but big loss of what little horsepower there was:) Actually, 105HP pulling 2300lbs is quite adequate; many favourite sports cars from when I was a kid could not hit 60 in under 9 seconds.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with comparing the two. I've used both in my quest to try and make my engine run as smooth and quiet as possible. Maxlife was just as quiet as pyb is in my car, but got noiser towards the end of my 5000mile oci. Pyb remains quiet the entire oci. I have plans to try qs defy and castrol edge ep yet as both are rumored to quiet some engines down better than other oils. I noise is not an indication of something wrong, I just figured I'd experiment and have fun with it. I've gone back and forth between 5w20 and 10w30 as well to see if viscosity makes a difference. I try to run 2 ocis with each oil as well to make sure there is ample time for the antiwear additives to take hold. If neither one of the next to oils make a difference, I might try Mobil 1 0w40 and call it done and stick with either pyb or maxlife. I'm more of a valvoline fan, so I might just stick with the maxlife. No reason for being a fan other than I remember my dad using their products when he was still around and I suppose I'm just nostalgic:)

I've used both and have no real preference.
I had a really good UOA from the old BMW using Maxlife Nextgen, so I like that oil in that engine.
I used PYB 10W-40 in our last old Mercedes winters and used some leftovers in a '97 Accord LX.
I found the PYB to be very quiet as compared to the 5W-30 PP the car usually got, not surprising since it was a grade thicker.
Either oil is good and either is reasonably priced at Walmart.
OTOH, Defy is probably a better buy than Maxlife since it's a couple of bucks cheaper for a jug and QSGB is a always a cheaper buy than PYB.
The only real rap on Valvoline oils is that they had limited TBN retention before the API SN formulations and some users prefer to avoid oils with sodium add packs.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I don't believe Yaris and Race can be used in the same sentence.

Did you test the viscosity of the shredded oil between your fingers?

He was racing a Metro or a Smart.
Seriously, though a slow car with a willing engine and slick shifter is a blast to drive and you can drive it hard whenever you want without too much worry.
This is what made our old Civics so much fun to drive.
As someone once wrote, its more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Sort'a apples & oranges!

PYB should be compared to VWB.
PHM should be measured against VML.

Yep. MaxLife claims ACEA A1, but then PYB is suddenly and secretly a synthetic in disguise, right?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back