Pennzoil YB Past & Present - Rumors/Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
1981 Pheonix....I remember those cars well. At one of the houses I grew up in, our next-door neighbour had a 1980-81 Pheonix...2-tone blue, 5-door hatch. He was really careful with maintenence, and washed it a lot. It was always very clean, I thought it was a nice car.

Anyway, more on-topic, at the WM TLE I worked at, all the 'old timers' hated the Pennzoil we pumped into cars. One said it was 'watery junk' that didn't help an engine live. They all used Valvoline. I've used mostly Pennzoil in my cars over the years, just b/c I worked at WM for years, and could get my oil changed while I worked, and it was the cheapest change going. Never had a problem with it.....

I'd just like to correct a statement labman made in this thread:

"I mostly do. I think I switched to Pennzoil from Valvoline after Ashland Chemical threw me out in 1975. I have run nothing else but it except Quaker State for a few years in the late 80's. I buy new, and keep for a long time. The only thing I ever saw a sludge problem with was my 81 Pontiac Phoenix. It had the SBC cut down to a 6."

the 2.8 V-6 in the X-bodies WASN'T a cut-down chevrolet V-8 - it was a brand-new engine when it came out in 1979.

The later 4.3 V-4 used the trucks WAS a 350 V-8 cut-down to a V-6.

That's correct. 6 months on any early 80's oil in an early 80's carburetor engine a lot of times is too long depending on drive cycle. Whatever happened to Labman? He disappeared. I remember he use to always posted in the oil filter forum and his dislike of Purolator oil filters could get a little annoying but mostly his posts provided comical relief.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
That's correct. 6 months on any early 80's oil in an early 80's carburetor engine a lot of times is too long depending on drive cycle.

You're not kidding. In retrospect, I should have kept a sample from my 1984 F-150 with the pooched feedback carb before I rebuilt the engine and replaced the carb, and sent it in for UOA. I'm sure there would have been some scary fuel dilution numbers. You could smell the fuel in the oil to the point you would almost retch.

I think the rumors, b.s. are from ignorant, and people that "ASSUME" things. My stepfather uses nothing but PENNZOIL YB for his 03' acura TL and my mothers 01' avalon. No problems and mothers car has almost 180k on it without a problem. When I had my 01' s-10 ex navy vehicle, I used pennzoil yb with 5w30 and a wix filter and ran it for 200k miles without any major problems. Just what I have noticed and saw in my past 8 yrs.

adam vasbinder

I don't know what Pennzoil used to be like, but for some time--at least since Shell bought the name 9 years ago--it has been one of the best, IMO.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I don't know what Pennzoil used to be like, but for some time--at least since Shell bought the name 9 years ago--it has been one of the best, IMO.

It has been one of the best for the past 50-60 years, and probably longer than that.

And to coin a quote from above, I sleep better at night knowing it is in my cars, and loose no sleep at all for those who choose not to use it.

I got some 35ish year old Pennzoil in a paper can...I still bet the new stuff, like almost all oils is better.
grin.gif

...Johnny, how the heck did you end up retiring to Wisconsin? Beautiful state, but when you retire you are supposed to tie a snow shovel to your bumper and drive south until someone asks you what it is.
eek.gif

I got some 35ish year old Pennzoil in a paper can...I still bet the new stuff, like almost all oils is better.
grin.gif

...Johnny, how the heck did you end up retiring to Wisconsin? Beautiful state, but when you retire you are supposed to tie a snow shovel to your bumper and drive south until someone asks you what it is.
eek.gif

crackmeup2.gif

grin.gif

eek.gif

Believe me, I tried. My wife fell in love with this place and she is staying put. It is in my will that she scatters my ashes on the border of Texas and Oklahoma. Basically in the middle of the bridge on Hwy 81 going from Texas to Oklahoma. For all of you grabbing a map, that is just north of Bowie, TX and south of Terral, OK.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If I were single, I would be living in an apartment on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, enjoying the good life.
I am and I'm in a nice house with pool and it was 65 and sunny here today.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If I were single, I would be living in an apartment on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, enjoying the good life.

I love San Antonio.
Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
I am and I'm in a nice house with pool and it was 65 and sunny here today.
cheers3.gif

I would be jealous, but I'm just glad someone is warm.
Good for you!
thumbsup2.gif

I remember in the mid-80's when Consumer Reports did some oil comparison. The best oil was Mobil-1. The 2nd best oil was Pennzoil PZL. When a rival mineral oil can come close to a full synthetic is good enough for me. Can't remember what the test criteria was(hey its Consumer Reports), but do remember that the Mobil1 was best and #2 was Pennzoil in most of the bar charts. When you compared the price at the time(compared to wages too), I could only wager that Pennzoil had a serious market increase compared to the other mineral oil in the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back