Pennzoil YB 5w20 - 6160 mi - 07 Civic 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Civic3.jpg

Second fill of yellow bottle Pennzoil 5w-20. Didn't bother with a TBN because it's done so well for the last two UOAs. This oil came in bottles with the new label, and looks like the formulation was different from the first YB fill too, in particular the Moly was lower and the Boron higher.

Anyway, nothing too exciting here but I figured I'd post it for the gallery anyway. Now I've got Castrol GTX 5w-20 in there to see if something different (and on the thick side of 5w-20 instead of the thin side) will reduce the consumption a little (which is probably just the result of the driving conditions the car sees). I probably won't get a UOA this time around, but will probably get another at some point after that to check on the trending.

FWIW I also cut open the filter, a Napa Gold, which had been on for the last two OCIs per the maintenance schedule. The filter element looked really good, no grime or anything to speak of. Looked no different from other filter elements I've seen with way fewer miles on them. Due to that and the fact that the UOA didn't show anything strange, I guess I'm pretty comfortable with running a [good] filter for two OCIs. I've got a Honda A02 on there now, which I'll probably cut open after this OCI rather than running it twice, though.

That is a great report. With those TBN's you could probably go to 8,000 miles.

Great oil, great engine.

Yeah, the engine seemed to consume a little more YB than the Motorcraft before it. It's possible it's trending up but I don't think so [yet] because the 0.5 qt shown on the Motorcraft is roughly the same as what I saw on the OCIs before I got it analyzed. I was careful to fill with GTX exactly up to the Full line this time, so I'll be monitoring it closely.

There's a big hill on my daily commute so every day I get a lot of high load uphill and high vacuum downhill, which I think is probably the culprit.

Originally Posted By: daman
have you considerd using a HM oil for a few OCI's? mabie would clean things up and help.

smirk2.gif

An engine with 36,000 miles needs cleaning?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
have you considerd using a HM oil for a few OCI's? mabie would clean things up and help.

smirk2.gif

LOL.gif

i've seen it..........

smirk2.gif

LOL.gif

it was on a poor abused Impala loaner car my mom had when her's was in for deer damage.

I'm kinda concerned with 1.5 qts of make up oil on an 07 Honda with 36k miles. has this engine always used oil since new? but, the engine will probably last 200k easy with these wear numbers

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I'm kinda concerned with 1.5 qts of make up oil on an 07 Honda with 36k miles. has this engine always used oil since new? but, the engine will probably last 200k easy with these wear numbers

i would be too and mad.
mad.gif
,heck my 225,000 mile Z71 doesn't use that much in a 6,000 mile OCI.

smirk2.gif

LOL.gif

it was on a poor abused Impala loaner car my mom had when her's was in for deer damage.

And what does that have to do with the Civic?
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Oil consumption is normal, especially if the car is driven hard. You cannot expect an engine to burn zero oil if you drive it hard on a regular basis. Just look at the Edmunds long-term cars. Almost every car in their fleet goes through at least a quart of oil between services.

has everything to do with it!!,it can and does happen in low mileage engines.

normal?!?!
LOL.gif
so if it used none it would be abnormanl,remind me to never buy a civic,oh wait i would never.
LOL.gif

The OP's engine isn't abused. It has received regular oil changes at the recommended intervals. From what you described, the Impala's engine was abused and was not well-maintained.

I fail to see the connection.

The OP's engine isn't abused. It has received regular oil changes at the recommended intervals. From what you described, the Impala's engine was abused and was not well-maintained.

I fail to see the connection.

My bad abused means neglected OCI and low quality oil.

No need to blow this out of proportion...

The engine has burned a little oil since new. Literally around 1/4 of my daily commute is on a 6-7% grade. So unless I'm running errands after work, nearly every day the car gets a significant proportion of its driving at 3500 RPM at high load, and at 2800-3800 RPM at 0 throttle (depending on how much I feel like using the brakes). This engine probably works harder on its daily drive than our 7.4 liter big block does while towing a horse trailer.

The car is not abused. Factory fill, two fills of Exxon Superflo, one of Motorcraft, and two of YB Pennzoil, all drawn out to around 6000 miles, when the OLM was at 15%.

You could fault me on three possible things:
1) I left the factory fill in for a full OCI.
2) I left the original filter on for two changes (and regrettably didn't have a filter cutter at the time).
3) I used some amount of SL rated oil on the second or third fill.

(1) and (2) are per Honda's recommendations. I highly doubt (3) matters.

I used to fret about this but our new Mazda3 2.3 is also losing a little oil between changes (too soon to tell how much, it hasn't even had a full length OCI yet), and we saw similar behavior on another previous car as well. I'm getting more inclined to blame it on the commute.

Are you sure the drain plug is tightened all the way ?
54.gif
Thats a lot of make up oil.

I've gone 11K miles on Mobil 1 (80% highway) in my 2007 Civic EX and the engine oil used less than 1/2 a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back