Pennzoil vs. Castrol Jug Price

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at Wal Mart and noticed that even though they are priced nearly the same by quart, the Castrol five-quart jugs are $9.97 while the Pennzoil is $6.97. Isn't that a little strange?

not at all, I bought 5 qt jugs of Exxon SuperFlo for 3.99 awhile back. Qts of same were ~$1.69?each in the same store at the same time.

it's called a sale

There could be a roll-back in the works.

No odder than them selling Pepsi 2-liters for $1.17 or whatever when I can get them at Shaw's for $.67.

Walmart is not always the lowest possible price on everything. And don't compare current prices with past walmart prices or current walmart prices for competing products. It's all a shell game.

Was at my nearest Kragens yesterday and saw several jugs of 5qt Chevron Supreme in 5w30 & 10w30s for $6.54. Not a bad price considering they are the only Kragens I know that sells Chevron Supremes in jugs(most are Pennzoil or QS)..but way cheaper in qts when you use the $0.49/qt coupon/rebate offer.

quote:

Originally posted by KJA426:
I was just at Wal Mart and noticed that even though they are priced nearly the same by quart, the Castrol five-quart jugs are $9.97 while the Pennzoil is $6.97. Isn't that a little strange?

Next time your in Walmart, Check out the Syntec Blend 5 qt jugs... They are $10.77!

For the extra 80 cents (used to be 55 cents) I went with the Blend.
smile.gif

The last time I bought Castrol GTX in 5 qt jugs (about 2 months ago) it was $6.97.

Prices are going to keep going up sadly...
rolleyes.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Pennzoil has been making changes to their oils because the new synthetric (Platinum) is now full synthetic group IV. So in order to produce a syn-blend with it, they must be changing/tweaking their dino oils formulations. As a result, all old stock is being moved & on sale where it's overstocked.

The $6.97 for a 5 qt jug of Pennzoil is the normal price for at least 6 months here in Utah.

There is no close out of "old" SM stock...
spaz.gif

Every jug I've looked at is SM.

Where did you hear that Pennzoil is changing?

Johnny?
confused.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Pennzoil has been making changes to their oils because the new synthetric (Platinum) is now full synthetic group IV. So in order to produce a syn-blend with it, they must be changing/tweaking their dino oils formulations. As a result, all old stock is being moved & on sale where it's overstocked.

A couple weeks ago, I snatched up some 6-quart 10W-40 jugs for $5 at Murrays. I'm mixing it with 5W-20 for a unique 7W-30-ballpark blend.

Just to keep the record straight, for anyone keeping score:
smile.gif

Pennzoil Platinum is Ethylene Olefin Copolymer, which is classified as Grp V Other. It is not Grp IV PAO.

Todate, we have no information that Pennzoil is using the EOP synthetic in a syn blend formulation.

Of the synthetic blends out in the marketplace, by far, the majority, at least a minimum of 80%, are Grp III and dino blends and do not contain full synthetic base oils.

See the link to Shell Global Impact Magazine the archive for back issues,(this was in a 2003 press release) and click on "4 News" to read the following:

American Chemical Society honours Shell Global Solutions’ team

Three Shell Global Solutions’ scientists have been presented with an Industrial Innovation Award from the American Chemical Society for ground-breaking work on synthetic oils.

Chemists William Heilman, I-Ching Chiu and Wei Song, of Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc., and consultant James Chien of Amherst Polymer Technology were honoured for their role in developing a low-cost synthetic oil.

Though demand for high-performance synthetic oils and lubricants is high, their application is limited because of the prohibitively high cost of polyalphaolefins (PAO), a key ingredient in their manufacture. This led to a requirement for a low-cost alternative to PAO with equivalent or better performance.

The team developed a process that manufactures a new type of synthetic oil – called Pennsyn™ – that has performance properties equivalent to PAO-based products but at a fraction of the cost.

In addition to its expected use as a high-performance lubricant for automotive, marine, commercial and industrial applications, the new oil is also useful in household products, personal-care products, pharmaceuticals and coatings.

quote:

Pennzoil Platinum is Ethylene Olefin Copolymer, which is classified as Grp V Other. It is not Grp IV PAO.

Sounds cool!
cool.gif

Anyone know why they chose something like this for their oil? Better than group III? Cheaper than PAO? Cheaper the Group III? Did I miss that discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back