Pennzoil & Valvoline - No Extended Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that people outside of BITOG are complaining to Valvoline that they do not give a recommended drain interval.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Interesting that people outside of BITOG are complaining to Valvoline that they do not give a recommended drain interval.

That person may be a BITOGer. I agree with what Valvoline is saying. It doesn't take a lot to qualify as "severe service ". And, following your vehicle manufacturer's recommendations for drain intervals while under warranty is a different ball game these days with most manufacturers offering 100,000 mile powertrain warranties and some even lifetime. If the extended drain products are capable of providing extended protection for all engines, shouldn't the motor oil manufacturers be willing to stand behind the product and the customer in the event of a denied warranty claim?

Originally Posted by buster
As someone pointed out to me, being both PZ/Valvoline are in the quick lube business, there is no incentive for them to make their oils long drain capable. For moderate drains, both products will perform as good as any other overall. However, if you look at some of the data out there and read between the lines, they can't hang with M1/Amsoil over longer drains because their resistance to oxidation is not as great. As long as Pennzoil is in Jiffy Lube and Valvoline has their IOC, I don't see them pushing a long drain oil.

lol.gif

https://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/12395/why-did-mobil-1-fail

Originally Posted by jongies3
Mobil 1 has a chain of quick lubes and still markets a long drain oil.

True, but it's a very small segment of the market.

At this point in time, only Amsoil, Mobil 1, and Castrol market longer drain oils.

Sure - many drivers want the cheapest change - and they change often since the little decal on the windshield tells them to …
It was also noted here before that in CA you have to leave the filter on two OCI's … yes/no ? That would change the dynamics as well
As I mentioned before - watched a guy telling a RAM owner to dump his PP in 3 months regardless of mileage … myth lives on

Last but not least - many drivers don't have a decent read of the new car's Owners Manual

You are thinking of Valvoline Modern Engine. Designed to be superior when used in TGDI / GDI engines that experience lspi symptoms.
VOAs and UOAs are good, but unimpressive when looking at the add-packs. There's something in that base oil that's more heavenly than Advanced's Group III. But I do not believe the Modern Engine advertising ever mentioned a lengthier protection.

The concoction works well in UOAs. Oil gurus here might be able to describe the base oil breakdown. My base oil education is very, very, very limited..... single digits.... tops...lol

Originally Posted by 4WD
Sure - many drivers want the cheapest change - and they change often since the little decal on the windshield tells them to …
It was also noted here before that in CA you have to leave the filter on two OCI's … yes/no ? That would change the dynamics as well
As I mentioned before - watched a guy telling a RAM owner to dump his PP in 3 months regardless of mileage … myth lives on

Last but not least - many drivers don't have a decent read of the new car's Owners Manual

Agree.

Originally Posted by buster
*Let me clarify my OP. I'm basing my opinion of their oils not being as long drain capable from some of the oxidation testing I've seen from competitors. However, that isn't necessarily accurate either and I'm speculating. I'd say PUP/PP is likely capable. Valvoline not so sure.

My point though was they just don't have the incentive to market such a product due to their quick lube presence.
smile.gif

Makes a lot of sense to me
smile.gif

I do think Valvoline can go longer in certain applications and with their 5w40...

And I have seen some good UOAs on here with Valvoline advanced full synthetic going around 10k miles.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Just for info, here is the market share statistics for 2018 for quick lube. See how Pennzoil and Valvoline dominate this sector.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/445231/market-share-of-us-motor-oils-in-fast-lubes-by-company/

I can tell you where every VIOC, Goodyear (Val), Firestone (Sopus) and Jiffy Lube (Pnzl) is in my area. I just recently noticed the one Castrol Instant Oil Change shop down the street from me. Guy at the gas station i was using next to it says, "man, that's been there for years."
21.gif

Originally Posted by wemay
Just for info, here is the market share statistics for 2018 for quick lube. See how Pennzoil and Valvoline dominate this sector.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/445231/market-share-of-us-motor-oils-in-fast-lubes-by-company/

I can tell you where every VIOC, Goodyear (Val), Firestone (Sopus) and Jiffy Lube (Pnzl) is in my area. I just recently noticed the one Castrol Instant Oil Change shop down the street from me. Guy at the gas station i was using next to it says, "man, that's been there for years."
21.gif

Great point. A lot of these places are buried in strip malls or WalMart parking lots for example. They blend in with the rest of the shopping environment. On the other hand, the VIOC near me is on a corner and you can see it a block away. The place is clean and landscaped. There is always a line of cars waiting every time I drive by, even on Sundays.

21.gif

Great point. A lot of these places are buried in strip malls or WalMart parking lots for example. They blend in with the rest of the shopping environment. On the other hand, the VIOC near me is on a corner and you can see it a block away. The place is clean and landscaped. There is always a line of cars waiting every time I drive by, even on Sundays.

My experience too

21.gif

My experience too

Interesting point...the only one I have used always looks spotless and freshly painted and is also on a corner of two busy roads only hundreds of feet from a big mall. It actually kind of sucks to get in and out of there because there is so much traffic...
It was a very pricey change, but the place was very well run.

We have two in our small town - one is a nice built from ground up Mobil 1 Express - and the other is an old converted gas station that is CVX Havoline.

Both of them also supply alternate brands or BYO O/F and pay fee (I have seen guys getting Amsoil done there) …
Nothing from RDS - they were there (the one that ruined my rear axle) - but long gone.

Originally Posted by 4WD
We have two in our small town - one is a nice built from ground up Mobil 1 Express - and the other is an old converted gas station that is CVX Havoline.

Both of them also supply alternate brands or BYO O/F and pay fee (I have seen guys getting Amsoil done there) …
Nothing from RDS - they were there (the one that ruined my rear axle) - but long gone.

No Jiffy Lube? I thought those were Shell?

No Jiffy lube where I live …
honestly, the Walmart here probably changes as much as the 2 lube joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back