Pennzoil UP 0w-40, 10,112 mi, 1996 Nissan Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Where are the folks poo-poo'ing the Fe? Stuck in the Mobil threads? LOL!
wink.gif

Looks decent to me other than the lead, which could just be a particle streak, but could also be a cause for concern. Do you still have the filter to cut open? You could check for metal.

Way too many unanswered questions with this UOA to conclusively blame it on the oil. Longer than normal OC, Marvel Mystery oil, high mileage, etc, etc.

You know, as well as myself and others, these types of UOAs using Pennzoil oils is not the norm. The OP clearly, imo, has something else going on or has forgotten about something.

Originally Posted By: irv
You know, as well as myself and others, these types of UOAs using Pennzoil oils is not the norm. The OP clearly, imo, has something else going on or has forgotten about something.

Hadn't forgotten anything and no MMO ever went in the oil. I may have run a small amount in the fuel but that should be a non issue. When I do a UOA I try to keep it as controlled as possible with as few variables as possible during the OCI. Meaning same oil for top up (if any), no additives, etc.

This was just a "wonder how a UOA would turn out if I went to 10k?" Which I've never done before. If I had to guess, the high miles probably contributed to the lead -- perhaps bearing tolerances are out of spec or something. I have no means to check oil pressure, someday I might get a gauge and see what it is just for grins.

I'm happy that the oil held up as well as it did - I have no problems with the oil used.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I do have the old filter, and will cut it open today or tomorrow. Previous filters I've cut open from this car have shown nothing unusual.

Any luck on this?

. I use premium unleaded, as that's what the manufacturer recommends (printed on gas cap door). I don't always trust knock sensors to retard timing when using low-octane fuel, so I always put in Premium.

I wonder if the truck that hauls the fuel to your station ever carries Aviation gasoline...

even if only a few gallons were left.... That would explain your lead.

Originally Posted By: irv

Hadn't forgotten anything and no MMO ever went in the oil. I may have run a small amount in the fuel but that should be a non issue. When I do a UOA I try to keep it as controlled as possible with as few variables as possible during the OCI. Meaning same oil for top up (if any), no additives, etc.

This was just a "wonder how a UOA would turn out if I went to 10k?" Which I've never done before. If I had to guess, the high miles probably contributed to the lead -- perhaps bearing tolerances are out of spec or something. I have no means to check oil pressure, someday I might get a gauge and see what it is just for grins.

I'm happy that the oil held up as well as it did - I have no problems with the oil used.

Wait a minute. In your Post #4 of this thread you said you added MMO. So did you add additives or not?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Wait a minute. In your Post #4 of this thread you said you added MMO. So did you add additives or not?

Post 4 again, if you'd like to re-read it:

I might have dumped a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel tank once or twice (none in oil), but really nothing worth noting. I use premium unleaded, as that's what the manufacturer recommends (printed on gas cap door). I don't always trust knock sensors to retard timing when using low-octane fuel, so I always put in Premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back