Pennzoil Ultra Platinum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Why is it so hard to find pennzoil ultra platinum synthetic in retail stores?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Why is it so hard to find pennzoil ultra synthetic in retail stores?

It costs more than most people will pay for oil.

Not to say it's not worth it, but the average Mr. John Smith is just going to get a $10 jug of store brand 5w30 and an OCOD and call it a day.

I bought 14 jugs of old ultra when napa had it on special last year for 28 bucks a jug. Now it's over 70 so I'll never buy it again.

Agreed with price. Even though I am NOT a fan of Pennzoil, I bought the old Ultra in qts when Autozone was getting rid of it for $3 a bottle.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I bought 14 jugs of old ultra when napa had it on special last year for 28 bucks a jug. Now it's over 70 so I'll never buy it again.

I bought a jug at Walmart last week for $24.98, so you can now stock up on it.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

The 3 walmarts in town don't carry ultra,they do have platinum though,but I've told myself I'm not buying any more oil til I use up what I've got,so maybe in a couple years I'll be able to feed my addiction again.
Thanks for the heads up though,maybe I'll try the website and see if ultra can be ordered.
25 bucks a jug is a no brainer.

You found Ultra at a Walmart in Canada?

My local Walmart has Pennzoil Platinum, but no stores in my area carry the Ultra Platinum. If I am going to run Pennzoil, I am going to go Ultra Platinum. Can't find it anywhere. It's the unicorn of the synthetic motor oil world. For this reason, I am running Mobil 1.

The 3 walmarts in town don't carry ultra,they do have platinum though,but I've told myself I'm not buying any more oil til I use up what I've got,so maybe in a couple years I'll be able to feed my addiction again.
Thanks for the heads up though,maybe I'll try the website and see if ultra can be ordered.
25 bucks a jug is a no brainer.

My bad, it was Platinum,not Ultra...

It is near-impossible to find. I think a fundamental reason is that there's really nothing to distinguish it from the cheaper Platinum. Mobil1 EP has the extended drain interval thing going for it, but Pennzoil makes no such claims for Ultra.

The old Ultra had ultra-low Noack, which distinguished it a little - the new Ultra has Noack higher than Platinum. So even if it were on the shelves, not sure many would pay a price premium for it: Pennzoil really hasn't answered the "Why?" question.

According to Walmart's website it's in stock at:
Walmart store #5617—Chicago
4626 W Diversey Ave
Chicago, IL 60639

Walmart store #5147—Dallas
1521 N Cockrell Hill Rd
Dallas, TX 75211

There are other locations, just use their locator. It's not the best (I can only search a 50 mile radius), but it seems to work.

After finally exhausting my stash of the "old" PZ Ultra I wasn't able to find any at the local WM (Platinum only). I seem to recall seeing it at another WM about an hour from here but with both vehicles due for a change went with the Platinum in the Suzuki and Mobil 1 HM 5W30 in the van (now with NAPA gold filters in both). So far so good....

Originally Posted By: spackard

There are other locations, just use their locator. It's not the best (I can only search a 50 mile radius), but it seems to work.

Wal-Mart's web page is notorious for saying things are in stock when they're not. I've looked at many Wal-Marts in both Florida and Georgia and I still have not seen any Ultra Platinum on a Wal-Mart shelf. I've seen it at Pep-Boys and AutoZone, but only in single quarts at an exorbitant price.

I found it at Pep Boys here locally. Only place that carries Ultra Platinum. It is almost $10.00 per quart plus tax though. If Walmart had it here in the L.A. area, it would be way cheaper. About half the price!

Wanna send me some? I need 6 quarts! LOL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back