Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Vs Mobil 1 Synthetic Vs AMSoil Signature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually change my oil once a year, since I only usually put on 8000K per year. I have been using Mobil 1 regular synthetic (not the awful extended stuff) for about 25,000K now, with an oil change once per year at 8000k each time. I have been seeing reviews that Mobil 1 is not the best oil anymore for cost efficient synthetic oils. I say cost efficient because AMSoil is way up there in cost per litre. I have been seeing that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a better oil then Mobil 1. I looked into just getting AMSoil and the mechanic recommended I just put that in, the following year put on a new filter, and then just top up the oil again to full. He said I can go longer then just a year on their oil. I said it might take me 3 or so years before I reach their limit on how long their oil is rated for. He said that is fine.

So Im at a cross roads. I could just use the Ultra Platinum oil and drain all of it after a year at my oil change. Or I can run AMSoil Signature for a few years and just keep switching out the oil filter and top up the oil.

I want to run the best oil I can get, but I don't want to waste it either by draining it all too soon. With the above, what do you guys suggest? My oil filter is a FRAM Ultra Synthetic. Car is a 14 Mustang. I use 5/20W oil.

I usually change my oil once a year, since I only usually put on 8000K per year. I have been using Mobil 1 regular synthetic (not the awful extended stuff) for about 25,000K now, with an oil change once per year at 8000k each time. I have been seeing reviews that Mobil 1 is not the best oil anymore for cost efficient synthetic oils. I say cost efficient because AMSoil is way up there in cost per litre. I have been seeing that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a better oil then Mobil 1. I looked into just getting AMSoil and the mechanic recommended I just put that in, the following year put on a new filter, and then just top up the oil again to full. He said I can go longer then just a year on their oil. I said it might take me 3 or so years before I reach their limit on how long their oil is rated for. He said that is fine.

So Im at a cross roads. I could just use the Ultra Platinum oil and drain all of it after a year at my oil change. Or I can run AMSoil Signature for a few years and just keep switching out the oil filter and top up the oil.

I want to run the best oil I can get, but I don't want to waste it either by draining it all too soon. With the above, what do you guys suggest? My oil filter is a FRAM Ultra Synthetic. Car is a 14 Mustang. I use 5/20W oil.

Boy, that's a post loaded with a lot of lore and strange assertions.

1. What's "awful" about M1 EP? It's their best line of oils, using the highest quality bases
2. Any oil with the same list of approvals as another is going to be roughly equal to it in performance, ergo, PUP isn't any "better" than M1, nor is it the other way around. They use similar base oils and both companies co-own infineum, so have access to the same additive packages. The main difference is XOM uses GTL and PAO in varying quantities depending on the grade, whilst SOPUS uses GTL across their entire product range.
3. What AMSOIL product did your mechanic recommend? AMSOIL makes very good oils, but if you aren't taking advantage of the extended drain capability of their SS line it's a hard value case and the lower tier products don't have the same high quality base oil blends.
4. Oil is typically meant to be changed once a year or at the mileage limit. If your car sits, this will degrade the oil. I wouldn't run it blindly for three years just because mileage-wise it is rated for that, you'd want to perform an oil analysis to confirm that it's safe to do so.

A lot of video tests state the Mobil 1 Extended burns off a lot faster then their regular synthetic version does, and it barely meets some specs in the rating system.

As per AMSoil, its their Signature Series oil with the 25K oil change interval. They want $18 per Litre for this stuff. I can get Mobil 1 Synthetic (not Extended stuff) and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for $28-30 a 5L jug here.

Personally, I don’t like running oil through multiple winters in case of condensation concerns in the crankcase. I use Amsoil SS and Amsoil filter and change every April averaging about the same mileage as you. In my opinion, I like the higher moly and boron in their PAO and Ester base Signature Series oil. Gives me peace of mind whether warranted or not. Just my 2cents.

A lot of video tests state the Mobil 1 Extended burns off a lot faster then their regular synthetic version does, and it barely meets some specs in the rating system.

As per AMSoil, its their Signature Series oil with the 25K oil change interval. They want $18 per Litre for this stuff. I can get Mobil 1 Synthetic (not Extended stuff) and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for $28-30 a 5L jug here.

Those video tests are complete nonsense. M1 EP uses higher quality bases and a more robust additive package than their regular product line, this is necessary for it to meet its extended drain mileage target. It is literally the complete opposite of the assertions being made.

Personally, I don’t like running oil through multiple winters in case of condensation concerns in the crankcase. I use Amsoil SS and Amsoil filter and change every April averaging about the same mileage as you. In my opinion, I like the higher moly and boron in their PAO and Ester base Signature Series oil. Gives me peace of mind whether warranted or not. Just my 2cents.
Yes, the condensation mixed with contamination (combustion byproducts) can degrade the oil in place while the engine sits. This can lower the overall useful life of the lubricant which is why, if you are going to run it for more than a single 12 month period that you should get it sampled to confirm that it's still in usable condition. I expect two seasons is OK, but three years with periods of the oil being contaminated and then just sitting is going to be hard on the lube.

Lol wut? Please post all these video tests and also the details of the specs it barely meets “in the rating system”, along with the specifics of those specs so we know how close it comes.

WHAT engine how to you drive etc need answers! amsoil is prolly better BUT $$$$$ other typical fake synthetics are very similar + a 5-30 typical synthetic would be a cheap upgrade

2014 Mustang 3.7L. I drive it hard at times, but casual more then not. I let it rev to 7 grand on occasion to keep the VVT system working. I drive the car all year round. Winters here probably go down to 0 or minus 10C. Most of my driving is stop and go.

Those video tests are complete nonsense. M1 EP uses higher quality bases and a more robust additive package than their regular product line, this is necessary for it to meet its extended drain mileage target. It is literally the complete opposite of the assertions being made.

You just don't get it, putting motor oil in a coffee pot for a few hours is an excellent way to gauge how well it will hold up in an internal combustion engine over the course of ten or twenty thousand miles 😤

If you disagree please like my video, subscribe to my YouTube channel, and argue with me in the comment section.

You just don't get it, putting motor oil in a coffee pot for a few hours is an excellent way to gauge how well it will hold up in an internal combustion engine over the course of ten or twenty thousand miles 😤
Ahhhh, those idiotic tests. I see now.

Yes as OVERKILL said those are complete nonsense. Anyone who would base their oil choice on those videos has no clue what actually matters.

2014 Mustang 3.7L. I drive it hard at times, but casual more then not. I let it rev to 7 grand on occasion to keep the VVT system working. I drive the car all year round. Winters here probably go down to 0 or minus 10C. Most of my driving is stop and go.

That is not a demanding application, any of the oils being discussed are more than adequate to provide proper protection, just choose whichever one you can get cheapest on sale at CT, pair it with a FRAM Ultra and drive on.

I doubt your VVT needs 7 grand to keep it working. If so, oil ain’t your problem. Lol.

Based on the provided prices, you would just break even with a 3 year OCI with Amsoil SS. Personally, I would rather have fresh oil every year that meets specs rather than multiple UOAs to verify the condition of the Amsoil.

There is a video for everything. I remember watching television way back when saying the end was coming in 2000. Good thing that didn’t come true but those people are still at it. Only the date has changed.

Run the latest spec oil from any major brand and you will be fine.

There is a video for everything. I remember watching television way back when saying the end was coming in 2000. Good thing that didn’t come true but those people are still at it. Only the date has changed.

Run the latest spec oil from any major brand and you will be fine.

The truth.

Imagine if the auto industry relied on Joe Schmoe and his coffee pot and 4 ball wear machine for performance validity?

The truth.

Imagine if the auto industry relied on Joe Schmoe and his coffee pot and 4 ball wear machine for performance validity?

"Clorox, it not only leaves no deposits in the highly demanding decanter test but it absolutely shines in our 4-ball wear test. Rest easy, drive fast, choose Clorox for your lubrication needs!"

No need for Pennz Ultra, Pennz Platinum and fresh filter yearly and your good to go, although I don't do annuals. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back