Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) VOA 5W30 API SP

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) VOA 5W30 API SP

Screenshot_20220910_112523_Drive.jpg

Probabably less calcium and a big shot of boron to prevent LSPI ?
Yes, less Ca and increased concentration of Mg which may help to reduce LSPI. It's not the Boron.
Mo at higher concentration also have been shown to reduce LSPI.

I just drained out the used oil at 3400 miles and it came out like water! My thoughts were this oil is too thin for this engine. I do all the oil changes myself and I never seen an oil drain out like water. The sample was placed in the mail today.

I decided until I get that uoa back I wont be using PUP. I filled it with Quaker State 5W40 Euro API SP which is $21 per 5 qts at Walmart. That oil tested well and didnt come out of the engine as if it was water flooded.

The Quaker State 5W40 ironically seemed like a robust 5W30.

Im not sure if the thinness effects the engine negatively but I was very uncomfortable with it being like that. The engine did get the best mpg I have seen but too thin for me.

But its not a 20 grade. It is within the 30 grade range. More importantly, the HTHS will be at least 2.9, unlike a 20 grade.
That doesn’t matter to me, I’m still not running that thin stuff in my Ecoboost. Furthermore, we don’t know what the HTHS is. Shell doesn’t post a complete product data sheet like other oil companies do.

That doesn’t matter to me, I’m still not running that thin stuff in my Ecoboost. Furthermore, we don’t know what the HTHS is. Shell doesn’t post a complete product data sheet like other oil companies do.
If its labeled 30 grade, the minimum HTHS is 2.9.

When I drove with this oil in my Ecoboost engine it seemed noisier. If you dont have much time.with an Ecoboost you may not notice but I noticed different noises. As I got to 3400 miles the engine only got noiser with different metallic sounds heard. Now with the 5W40 Euro grade oil back in it seems much quieter and refined. In the past I mainly ran Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 ESP. I recently started experimenting with thinner oils for gas mileage purposes. The Quaker State 5W40 European API SP seemed the best of both worlds between gas mpg and durability. In Blackstone tests it came out ahead of Delvac while still maintaining decent thicknesa when drained. I wouldnt call it a 5W40 but a robust 5W30.

When I see people saying "I won't run this" I laugh because they're acting as if they have a 500hp passenger car which gets thrashed on without an oil cooler. None the less to each their own. Each engine responds different to each oil and then you have to take into consideration the type of driving being carried out, in the type of weather and so forth.

I would say this is a good oil, serviceable. I would run it for 8,000 km or one year, whatever comes first and rinse and repeat with a quality oil filter that has a 99% filteration rating at 20 microns.

Back