Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30

PP 5w30, use it with confidence in my 17 Buick Regal GS 2.0T and daughters 21 Kia Soul 1.6T as well as the rest of our vehicles, much ado about nothing. :LOL:

Good question. It's the same story with the 5w40 Euro. It's a borderline 5w30.

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the manufacturing process using natural gas instead of crude (or whatever the other synthetics are made out of.)
I'm gonna guess it's more of the fact they're chasing better mileage than the other brands. However, with a 500k engine warranty offer with Ultra, it's pretty obvious they've done their homework that it protects just fine. I ran the 5W20 in my 2.5 Fusion out to over 17k and it was just starting to show signs of degradation. It's good stuff, just don't try to get the 0W-20, for some reason it's over 2x the cost of 5W-20. Must be magic LOL

After doing some research on here and other forums, I’ve decided to stop using the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 in my 21 Mustang with the 5.0. I just did a change with PUP about 600 miles ago and this will be my last usage with it. I did burn some oil using PUP after my second oil change, but I’m not sure if that was just due to the engine being new with only ~5,000 miles. After that I ran the non ultra and just regular Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and it held up fine and didn’t burn any oil. I find it weird that the ultra platinum is only sold online and you can’t get it off the shelf. Id like to have an oil I can pick off the shelf if I need to add a half a quart after 3000-4000 miles. I’ve also heard PUP isn’t what it used to be. I’ll be trying out various other brands from here on out. Picked up some Mobil 1 5w30 at Walmart today as it’s on rollback for $24. I’m sure PUP is a fine oil and probably okay as the mustangs called for 5w-20 from 11-20 and there’s plenty of folks with 100k+ miles using 5w20, I’d just like a little thicker oil that stays a 30 wt. Just my OCD I suppose.

PUP 5w30 is on the shelf up here , but PUP 0w40 is harder to find. NAPA Canada sells it by the overpriced liter.

The commonality between the two is a pretty good shot of moly, calcium at just over 1000 ppm, zinc at just over 800 ppm, with a phosphorous reading staying under 800 ppm.

Back