Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 vs SuperTech Advanced 5W30 - FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m using Penz Ultra 5-30 I’m 17 Subaru 3.6. It’s a ok for that engine. 3.5 Eco? Not a chance! 3k and ST synthetic a better choice imo.

Specifically, what's wrong with the historical flashpoints presented in the bottom Blackstone report in post #7? Compare and contrast!

Enlighten us all...

1. Pennzoil: Virgin FP: 430F
2. Pennzoil: Used FP: 395F

1. SuperTech: Virgin FP: 430F
2. SuperTech: Used FP: 440F

Do you see the difference? Do you understand what it means and what it implies about fuel in the samples?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Pennzoil: Virgin FP: 430F
2. Pennzoil: Used FP: 395F

1. SuperTech: Virgin FP: 430F
2. SuperTech: Used FP: 440F

Do you see the difference? Do you understand what it means and what it implies about fuel in the samples?
There's a difference, but it isn't much of one.

As I stated earlier: Given today's prevalence of GDI engines causing fuel dilution, perhaps blenders should produce products that stay in-grade for at least a short duration OCI, or 3000 to 4000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should have turned the ultra Platinum line into a performance-based higher than normal high temperature high shear. Quit chasing all these crazy engine specs that neuter getting a great performance budget friendly oil. Barely even in the 30 weight. They can cut down on the TBN and just make it more Stout. If this is the best they can do on an oil that's hardly attainable to be found even in a store then both the marketing is wrong and supposedly their flagship oil is junk.

Irrelevant for a Ford
Why is it irrelevant for a Ford? Ford may neither require nor recommend Dexos, but that doesn't mean a Ford engine can't or won't benefit from it.

Last edited:
There's a difference, but it isn't much of one.
How are you determining "isn't much of one"? It's a 35F drop; 8.1%.
As I stated earlier: Given today's prevalence of GDI engines causing fuel dilution, perhaps blenders should produce products that stay in-grade for a short duration OCI, or 3000 to 4000 miles.
But you are determining "stay in grade" from a $30 oil analysis that the virgin versions, particularly for the Pennzoil product, deviate wildly from the manufacturer's claimed viscosity. Pennzoil claims it is 10.3cSt, yet the VOA shows 9.48cSt, that's a rather significant difference. At the very least that should raise an eyebrow.

Furthermore, what does "stay in grade" achieve? The SuperTech lost considerably more viscosity; exhibited significantly more degradation due to mechanical shear, despite not having to deal with fuel dilution. Do we just ignore that because it managed to just stay off the 9.3cSt floor for the xW-30 range?

Edit:
If we look at Kevin's BMW thread:

On page 1 - Blackstone has FP at 385F and fuel at "Trace"
On page 5 - OAI has fuel dilution for the same sample at 3%.

3% is considerable (hence it being orange), 5% is considered severe. This is wholly unreflected in the report from Blackstone, just like it is with Navi's.

1667506649615.jpg
1667506660634.jpg

Last edited:
They should have turned the ultra Platinum line into a performance-based higher than normal high temperature high shear. Quit chasing all these crazy engine specs that neuter getting a great performance budget friendly oil. Barely even in the 30 weight. They can cut down on the TBN and just make it more Stout. If this is the best they can do on an oil that's hardly attainable to be found even in a store then both the marketing is wrong and supposedly their flagship oil is junk.
It's a rather massive leap to conclude that because the oil starts out thinner than some of its competitors that its performance in service is compromised. As I noted, it experienced less absolute viscosity loss, despite the presence of fuel, if we consider the $30 VOA's and UOA's accurate. In my books, that certainly qualifies as being "more stout".

How are you determining "isn't much of one"? It's a 35F drop.

But you are determining "stay in grade" from a $30 oil analysis that the virgin versions, particularly for the Pennzoil product, deviate wildly from the manufacturer's claimed viscosity. Pennzoil claims it is 10.3cSt, yet the VOA shows 9.48cSt, that's a rather significant difference.

Furthermore, what does "stay in grade" achieve? The SuperTech lost considerably more viscosity; exhibited significantly more degradation due to mechanical shear, despite not having to deal with fuel dilution. Do we just ignore that because it managed to just stay off the 9.3cSt floor for the xW-30 range?

As stated on the front of the jug or bottle, I expect an oil to provide the SAE viscosity protection purchased for the duration of a normal, if not short, oil change duration. I would expect most every customer to want the same. This is not unreasonable.

Plainly, Pennzoil is not providing that with Ultra Platinum's initial, starting "basement bottom" viscosity for a multi-vis 30-weight oil. It easily fell out here within a popular Ford engine.

Super Tech stayed in grade. Pennzoil Ultra did not. Nevertheless, at least both turned in low wear metals numbers. That's something.

Given its price tag though, I wholly expect more from Ultra ... much more.

Pennzoil Ultra: "Where's the beef?" Loved the old ladies in that ancient Wendy's commercial...

Last edited:
As stated on the front of the jug or bottle, I expect an oil to provide the SAE viscosity protection purchased for the duration of a normal, if not short, oil change duration. I would expect most every customer to want the same. This is not unreasonable.

Plainly, Pennzoil is not providing that with Ultra Platinum's initial, starting "basement bottom" viscosity for a multi-vis 30-weight oil. It easily fell out here within a popular Ford engine.

Super Tech stayed in grade. Pennzoil Ultra did not. Nevertheless, at least both turned in low wear metals numbers. That's something.

Pennzoil Ultra: "Where's the beef?" Loved the old ladies in that ancient Wendy's commercial...
Well said!

No oil is going to retain viscosity in the face of fuel dilution, that's why the OP has been running xW-40's in his other Ecoboosts. The Pennzoil product did, again, assuming the Blackstone VOA/UOA figures are accurate, or at least accurate against each other, experience less viscosity loss despite the fuel dilution. That's a good showing for the oil.
So, you are just going to continue to ignore the fact that the cited visc from Pennzoil for the product is wildly different than what Blackstone shows us in the VOA?
SuperTech barely stayed in grade, despite the absence of fuel, you keep missing that. It was 0.33cSt away from being out of grade, despite the significantly higher starting viscosity and total lack of fuel dilution.

Humour me here and consider this:
Let's say for the moment that the dilution figure for the Pennzoil product is 2%. If I use a visc calc and plug in 2% fuel on a 9.48 starting visc, I end up a 8.92, so we are pretty close. Let's apply that same fuel dilution amount to the SuperTech, we end up at 9.02cSt, or down into xW-20 territory, despite the much higher starting visc of 11.1cSt.

That's why these sorts of comparisons are silly. People seem eager to ignore significant factors to support conclusions they've already drawn.

Pointedly: If the SuperTech oil had the same level of fuel dilution as the Pennzoil one, they'd be close to the same final viscosity, despite the much higher starting visc of the SuperTech product. The fact that I'm having to spell this out here, and pushing significantly against a current of established conclusion drawn from incomplete consideration of the data by multiple parties does not bode well for the reputation of this forum.
So just a higher starting visc then? Again, based on a $30 VOA/UOA that deviates wildly from the spec sheet. UOA's and VOA's are incredibly abused on this site and this thread is no exception.

Last edited:
Is this Quaker State oil rated for use in this vehicle? I bet not.

Your response is non-sequitur.
What does the brand of vehicle or appropriateness of the oil for the application have to do with the difference between the Flashpoint on the Blackstone report and the fuel % reported on the OAI one?

You are trying REALLY hard not to understand this.

More non-sequitur, non-applicable justification ... or obfuscation.
Nonsense. You doubling down on trying to ignore what is clearly spelled out does nothing for your case here.
What don't you understand?
I've been trying to get you to understand all afternoon, yet this brick wall is clearly impenetrable, so steeped in confirmation bias that this endeavor has proven to be hopelessly futile. I understand just fine, it's not my comprehension of the material that's in question here, it's yours.
Pennzoil Ultra wholly fell out of grade after a short OCI in a popular engine. Why?
Because of fuel dilution. That's been underlined countless times at this juncture but you continue to ignore it.
Because it started out at the bottom of SAE's acceptable viscosity range for a virgin 30-weight rated oil.
Again, ignoring the chasm between the PDS and the $30 analysis from Blackstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back