Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 vs SuperTech Advanced 5W30 - FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lab reports are in! Engine is Ford Ecoboost 3.5L 440 horsepower Generation 2 engine which is known to be hard on oil!
Oils are Walmart purchased Supertech Advanced 5W30 versus Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30.

Its time for a match! Fight!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the uoas Navi.

I find it weird how the flashpoint is so low for the Pennzoil sample while it's nice and high on the st and qs reports.

I also expected qs euro to have the lowest iron since it has better approvals and highest hths yet it's iron count is the highest.

Once again thank you for the 5 reports Navi you're great. Also you might want to cross out your personal info. I wouldn't do anything with it but you never know who would solicit you.

If they both meet the same certs and they meet or exceed your requirements, aside from any manufacturing differences they will perform statistically similar. That’s a TKO you can count on.

And, thanks for all the legwork & attention to detail!

Something seems off, though, if you look closely. You can either see cross-contamination and/or Blackstone mixed up samples. The PP gained a few ppm of calcium, while the ST lost 200? There’s a couple other elements with similarly “unexpected” changes from the VOAs, no?

Deleted and Reposted correct reports

supertechvoa.jpg
pup.jpg
pupvoa.jpg
3.jpg

Supertech seems to be thicker than PUP. PUP must have been the thinnest 30 grade I have seen.

Supertech is only $26 per 6 quarts. What I loved about is you grab the 5 quart and a 1 quart bottle so no fooling with partially empty 5 quart bottles.

PUP is $36 and I never saw any 1 quart bottles of it laying around.

The next oil I test will be Quaker State 5W30 which is much cheaper then either of these and a little thicker

What do you hope to discern from a $30 one-off UOA?
True. But, I'm sure there are many, if not a hundred or more ST 5W-30 UOA's on this site. That aggregate grouping, taken from numerous vehicle engines in differing climates, has likely shown itself to be respectable.

Can we say the same for PUP or regular Platinum? Does it typically stay in-grade? IDK. It obviously didn't here.

I do know that people have complained of the Pennzoil Platinum line's generally low starting (virgin) viscosity for quite some time. As Navi has shown in this thread, it's a point to consider.

I am a fan of certain Shell products with higher, in-grade viscosity and HTHS numbers, such as the Quaker State line. Normal OCI's (not extended) have shown good performances on their part. I suspect most (not all) normal OCI's have turned in good numbers and have stayed in-grade.

I've often wondered why the Pennzoil Platinum line typically turn in such low starting (virgin) viscosity numbers -- those at the bottom of a given SAE range. You'd think those numbers could be formulated to reflect a higher starting number. We'll never get an answer to these... rhetorical only.

Last edited:
Its true there might be something wrong over at Blackstone Labs as the chemical amounts for the UOA are higher than the chemical amounts for the VOA. There is also another explanation. I had purchased one 5-quart bottle and two 1-quart bottles. The 5-quart and 1-quart were used for the oil change, but the 1-quart bottle was used for testing. I still have the empty 5-quart bottle and the 1-quart bottle used for testing. There are dates on the bottles:

5-quart (used for the car) bottle date: July 12th, 2022

1-quart (used for VOA testing): August 30th, 2022

So the different chemical amounts might be due to the quality control at Warren. I have found in the past...not just at Warren...but with all oil companies there are varying amounts of chemicals and viscosity depending upon the date when they manufactured it. Im guessing the oil manufacturing process isnt a precise science and its probably not worth it for them to make it a precise science.

Blackstone suggests 3 oil tests before coming to a judgment about an oil BTW.

Its true there might be something wrong over at Blackstone Labs as the chemical amounts for the UOA are higher than the chemical amounts for the VOA. There is also another explanation. I had purchased one 5-quart bottle and two 1-quart bottles. The 5-quart and 1-quart were used for the oil change, but the 1-quart bottle was used for testing. I still have the empty 5-quart bottle and the 1-quart bottle used for testing. There are dates on the bottles:

5-quart (used for the car) bottle date: July 12th, 2022

1-quart (used for VOA testing): August 30th, 2022

So the different chemical amounts might be due to the quality control at Warren. I have found in the past...not just at Warren...but with all oil companies there are varying amounts of chemicals and viscosity depending upon the date when they manufactured it. Im guessing the oil manufacturing process isnt a precise science and its probably not worth it for them to make it a precise science.

Blackstone suggests 3 oil tests before coming to a judgment about an oil BTW.
Very good. If you intend to use ST going forward (there's no reason not to at this point), please keep your OCI's at 3000 miles, like the current ST test. In reality, anything over that is really pushing oil in your local stop n' go environment. IMHO, it's just as severe as my Alaskan enviro...

All the best. Come back with additional Blackstone reports. Most of us are curious here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back