BARIUM 0 1 1 2 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 56.4 55-62 55.2 52.7

cST Viscosity @ 100C 9.19 8.8-11.1 8.83 8.08

Flaspoint in Deg F 405 >385 405 405

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.1

I'm not too thrilled with the copper, although iron has come down.

Last edited:
Does it have a copper oil cooler? If so you're going to be seeing high copper readings for a while, they're harmless, the engine is still fairly new. It will be showing high copper readings for a while.

Oil changed for each sample since I'm technically on Subaru's "severe" schedule and don't want to give the dealer a reason to void the warranty.

Typically driving is 5 days per week of 16 miles/day stop and go, mixed in with one or two 400-500 mile trips per month.

The oil filter is Subaru's OEM.

I've noticed this oil stinks like gear oil when I change it.

I'm still trying to figure out if I have a copper oil cooler.

I don't think you would be are on Subaru's severe service schedule.
They are not KIa/Hyundai.

You are overchanging a high detergent oil that is leaching your copper.

Put some Motorcraft ss in there.

Old batch. What's being produced today is quite different with much less Calcium and much more Magnesium. Likely a different smell also.

Last edited:
As demarpaint above said, it is common for Subarus to shed a lot of copper for a while. No problem.

Subaru owners have used Shell Rotella in the past with good results. There is a newer 5w30 variety perfect for a 3.6L with big timing chains:

Its Shell Rotella Multi-Vehicle 5w30, available for online order and pickup at walmart for a good price that I'd pick for this vehicle. There was a technical presentation video posted here a while back (can't find it now) on it that showed Shell (Pennzoil's parent company) doing a lot of engineering to impress fleet operators that were asking tough questions, more than your average non-bitoger consumer might ask.
Still, you can't go too wrong using any dexos1 5w30 you find for cheap. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-ROTELLA-T6-5w30-Multi-Vehicle-Full-Synthetic-1-Gallon/515810764

Quote from Shell's Chris Guerrero: "There was no sacrifice at all to the diesel protection, and in fact, if anything, over-engineered on the gasoline side is probably the better way to describe this product." --- https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/med...1kdXR5LWVuZ2luZS1vaWwtY2F0ZWdvcnkuaHRtbA

Originally Posted by ChrisGuerrero
Hello all! Thanks for your continued support, and great questions! The below technical sheet includes information on the back of the product label, as requested. Additionally, for future reference, you can access all technical data sheets here: www.epc.shell.com. The Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle product is available for purchase online at NAPAonline.com and can be found O'Reilly stores nationwide. Our product locator may help you in finding the store that carries the product nearest you: https://rotella.shell.com/locator.html.

I wouldn't bother with the tech data sheets, somebody at Shell has already made sure it was "right" !

Last edited:
Your driving pattern does not appear to be severe service to me
You are changing out a very good oil that has a ton of life left in it
I would change it out at normal driving Subaru intervals while under warranty
After that, you could extend the change interval easily with that oil

Looks good to me. You need to find out what your TBN is. I'm sure that car could easily do another 1200 miles over this OCI. Your flashpoint looks very good.

Originally Posted by toneydoc

This. Stop wasting your money.

I have a 17 Outback with the H6 engine. I was excited to see what you got with a 10k run but then realized it was 1ok total mileage on your car.

Mine has just about 55k on it. I did 1500 original oil change and then started building upwards in mileage as the the engine was breaking in. I used M1 EP for all changes with a Fram Ultra filter. My last UOA was 8k and great results. Last week I sent in a sample in with same oil/filter combo but with 10k on the oil. Results should be back next week. I'll post them.

I would consider a much longer run on your next oil change. You are certainly wasting PP.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Looks good to me. You need to find out what your TBN is. I'm sure that car could easily do another 1200 miles over this OCI. Your flashpoint looks very good.

3k miles on PP I think he saved himself from the expense of a TBN result. Maybe go 7500 next run and get one.

Originally Posted by csandste

I agree. My problem is a Subaru dealer that will bust my chops if I need warranty work and don't follow the severe schedule. Granted I could probably win in court but for the price of an at home oil change vs a legal battle I'm going to just do it. I also don't have another dealer as convenient as this one.

3750 miles is the severe schedule IIRC from the manual.

BTW - the reason I started at 3k was that I kept losing coolant, had to add some to the recovery tank for the first 4 or 5 months I had the car. None in the last 6 months. Apparently, an incomplete factory "burp" of the H6's is not unusual.

Now that I've got a history of good 3800-mile changes I'm going to push them out to 5k for a bit since I have supporting evidence the oil is still good.

Their severe schedule is ludicrous i.e. does the car leave the driveway......

As to copper, I have a history of UOA's with the NA H4's and the turbo H4's, all Subies, since 2003. None has ever had this much copper, but this is my first H6.

I've asked the folks over at the Outback forum if they know if the oil cooler is copper internally. Its an external bolted on cooler the filter mounts to. The FSM doesn't provide much info on it other than how to change it.

Thanks for all the responses, they are much appreciated.

Originally Posted by BISCUT

3k miles on PP I think he saved himself from the expense of a TBN result. Maybe go 7500 next run and get one.

On a $9.54 Wix oil analysis kit from Rockauto its costs nothing for a TBN its part of the standard cost.

So what makes PUP so special? The additive package doesn't seem any different from any other SN oil. Is it just that it's hard to find so therefore it must be special? (the "rare" effect)

Asking Pennzoil (Shell) for any information about it makes them act like you just threatened to kill their first born.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
So what makes PUP so special? The additive package doesn't seem any different from any other SN oil. Is it just that it's hard to find so therefore it must be special? (the "rare" effect)
Asking Pennzoil (Shell) for any information about it makes them act like you just threatened to kill their first born.

Not special any more. Used to be (pre-dexos1Gen2), Pennzoil showed how much cleaner the pistons are in marketing materials. .... They don't do that anymore, and their sister Pennzoil Platinum dexos1Gen2 oil has a lot of boron now, all indicates other oils have caught up.

What makes it so bad? Maybe other than they aren't very reliable with their rebate they are batting 1 for 3.

Originally Posted by BISCUT

On a $9.54 Wix oil analysis kit from Rockauto its costs nothing for a TBN its part of the standard cost.

Does the Wix UOA include a return shipping label?
A Fabco CAT SOS UOA include a ship label and a 10pack costs $120+ $12 shipping.

What makes it so bad? Maybe other than they aren't very reliable with their rebate they are batting 1 for 3.

In a day when all of the oil brands are more alike than different, it's the fine details that set them apart. A slightly lower NOACK, a slightly higher HTHS for the same KV100, slightly higher TBN, etc... Those details are important to me and when a company refuses to give out that information, on testing the oil is required to pass, that makes me not trust that company. Transparency holds a lot of weight with me.

I can't find anything negative about PUP, but nothing about why it's so admired either. Why is it special. Show me some data. If all I have to go on is this UOA, I just see a basic SN oil with a higher price tag.

Originally Posted by lfdal
Originally Posted by csandste

I agree. My problem is a Subaru dealer that will bust my chops if I need warranty work and don't follow the severe schedule.

Their severe schedule is ludicrous i.e. does the car leave the driveway......

Thanks for all the responses, they are much appreciated.

I was reading My wifes OM and it didn't appear to be overly strict. Plus they now recommend synthetic oil compared to the EJ253 days. Subaru severe service relates more to other components rather than the engine oil. E.G: Air filter - driving on dusty roads, Axle inspection, etc.

Could you Tell me exactly what the OM says re: severe service and where you fail that?

We ignore the "driving in extremely cold weather". statement as she has a 35 mile one way hour long commute that heats the sump up well.

Last edited:
Back