Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 - 2014 Mazda 6 - 8k miles

First UOA on our Mazda6 that currently has 178k miles. This car runs like new and I've only had to change fluid, brake pads, and spark plugs. I did the first drain n fill on the transmission at 160k, I was going to test this lifetime fill concept but I caved. No issues with transmission so far. Still going strong and idles smooth. Bought the Mazda on a whim in 2016 but this car has made me a believer in their brand.

2022-08-26_11-59-06.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-08-26_11-59-06.jpg
    2022-08-26_11-59-06.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 55
The potassium and sodium levels are elevated. Sodium may be from previous oil change.

Was a different oil used on the change before this Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 run?

Thanks for posting. I have switched to this same PUP 5w20 in my '14 Scion XB. I'll be doing the usual 4500-5000 mi OCI. It seems to have significantly reduced oil consumption in only 2k mi.

The potassium and sodium levels are elevated. Sodium may be from previous oil change.

Was a different oil used on the change before this Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 run?
The run before this was with Valvoline Maxlife FS 5w30. And the court of makeup oil in here is Valvoline EP 5w30 at probably around 6k miles. Could either of those have spiked the potassium?

Great run. Vis held up, well, helped a little by the 1 quart added.
PUP is no slouch when it comes to maintaining visc but definitely helped by the qt of 5w30 Valv. EP at around 6k. I'm pleased with the fuel dilution numbers because of the direct injection and the fact that this is the wife's car and sees a lot of short trips/heavy idling with some long highway runs mixed in.

Thanks for posting. I have switched to this same PUP 5w20 in my '14 Scion XB. I'll be doing the usual 4500-5000 mi OCI. It seems to have significantly reduced oil consumption in only 2k mi.
Agreed, this motor has seen mostly PP or PUP it's entire life usually without burning a drop. On these longer runs, with lots of idling in FL heat, and 20 wt, I see some consumption but 1 qt isn't significant for the mileage. I'm spec'd for 5w30 in Mexico, per the manual. FL summer is no different than Mexican climate so I tend to run 30 wts in the warmer weather without any consumption issues. Especially w/ PP HM or Maxlife.

PUP is no slouch when it comes to maintaining visc but definitely helped by the qt of 5w30 Valv. EP at around 6k. I'm pleased with the fuel dilution numbers because of the direct injection and the fact that this is the wife's car and sees a lot of short trips/heavy idling with some long highway runs mixed in.
Agree. I'm runnin' PUP 0w-20 in my Camry. It's very smooth and quiet.

Just discovered this U.O.A . Is this the SP, GF-6A ? Purchased some for the '18 Accent with the G.D.I.. Thanks

Blackstone doesn't directly measure fuel, so I wouldn't take that number to the bank. If you are concerned about fuel, use a lab that does GC like OAI or Polaris.

Yeah, I'd be concerned about these too, something to watch for sure going forward.

Never updated this thread. Potassium ended up being coolant. I should have heeded the warnings but I thought it was benign. Head gasket failed on a short trip to dunkin donuts one morning. Was dissappointed as I knew this could be a 300k+ motor. Ran fantastic and even put up good wear numbers with the coolant mixing in the oil. Replaced motor, fingers crossed this one doesn't have the same head gasket defect.

If the motor was still running good, could have just done the head gaskets?? Or did it overheat and warp the head(s)?

If the motor was still running good, could have just done the head gaskets?? Or did it overheat and warp the head(s)?
At 175k miles, it just makes sense to throw a nice fresh block in there. These Skyactiv engines are cheap. They are in practically every Mazda model. I would have done the same.

It’s good to see that the Lab basically caught the coolant in the oil from the analysis. 😃

Back