Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil labels and markets their Ultra Platinum 0w40 as specifically formulated for SRT vehicles. Obviously this is rooted in marketing but the oil is actually labeled only with API SN and a Chrysler oil spec -- no ACEA or ILSAC labels. Is there any reason to think this oil is really any different (for better or worse) than other similar oils?

Originally Posted By: rationull
Is there any reason to think this oil is really any different (for better or worse) than other similar oils?

It is certainly different from Pennzoil Euro 0w-40 which has lower Noack so that it can meet the various Euro specs.

I think the SRT version has Noack of around 13%.

Pennzoil moving into new product space producing the only 0w-40 with no long life capability.

Should be a few threads from earlier this year discussing it as many picked up 'gobs of it' from the autozone clearance.

Last edited:
In a way it seems like a thicker version of Ultra 5w30 rather than a Euro/HD focused oil like most (all?) of the other 0w40s or 5w40s.

I ran it once and did a VOA, and before I even completed the run decided that MY SRT was only getting M1 from then on. Its a singularly unimpressive 0w40 oil, IMO. Granted, the SRT engines are all *very* easy on oil now that there's no longer a turbo in production after the Caliber SRT-4 ended its run, so its OK for the application. But its pretty much an ordinary oil that just happens to be a 0w40, nothing special at all. Think of it as a marginally thicker PU 5w30.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I ran it once and did a VOA, and before I even completed the run decided that MY SRT was only getting M1 from then on. Its a singularly unimpressive 0w40 oil, IMO. Granted, the SRT engines are all *very* easy on oil now that there's no longer a turbo in production after the Caliber SRT-4 ended its run, so its OK for the application. But its pretty much an ordinary oil that just happens to be a 0w40, nothing special at all. Think of it as a marginally thicker PU 5w30.

I have seen your VOA posted. Thanks for taking one for the team
smile.gif

Out of curiosity, was it something specific about its perceived performance in your vehicle that made you write it off during the run, or just further research into its specs vs other oils? "Marginally thicker PU 5w30" doesn't seem like much of a knock to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Think of it as a marginally thicker PU 5w30.

Pennzoils GTL'S seem to be on the thin side to begin with. How would you compare it to another major label's 5w30 as far as "thickness" is concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back