Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 availability.

I have a Scat Pack Challenger and the OM recommends Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40. The issue I'm having is that Pennzoil indicates that this weight is sold at all automotive parts retailers and Walmart. I checked all parts stores in my area and no one has this weight. Walmart had a shelf tag, but has yet to have it on the shelf. Only one retailer, a local O'Reilly's finally told me they could order it, but a case was expensive! The 392 in the Challenger and Charger takes 7 quarts. Pennzoil told me to call their distributor in our area, so I called and she had no clue! After a long discussion, she finally said she could order it from Atlanta, GA, but it would take about 3-4 weeks and it was also expensive... Seriously? I live in North Carolina, so it shouldn't take that long if I had decided to drop that dime. Pennzoil even offered a rebate on the 5 quart container of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 and Amazon didn't even have it - neither did anyone else! I'm unsure what Pennzoil is trying to do with the availability of this weight oil. I've been ordering it from Amazon as that's the best price I can get so far. I had rather not change the brand as it's been doing well for my car. I know ordering it has several advantages, but I'd also like to have the availability and convenience of the 5 quart container. For anyone using this brand and weight, are you having the same availability issues? Thanks for your input!

This oil is more or less sold only for use with these select Dodge vehicles, as far as I know it is only available in individual quarts, and it's probably not going to be cheap at a lot of places and you're probably going to have to order it, and since it's sold and produced in such a low volume Pennzoil probably wouldn't want to give any rebates on it, it's part of what comes with buying a fancy sports car that takes a specialty oil, you're going to have to order the oil and it only comes in individual quarts. It appears Napa stocks it ant it might only be about $6/qt right now Napa - 0w40 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum SRT

It could take 3-4 weeks because a distributor's minimum order from a SOPUS regional distribution center is a truckload of packaged product weighing around 42,000 pounds.
Some distributors will absolutely not sell on a retail level, so if you've found one that is willing to, that's a win.
The place easiest to find this would be the Dodge dealer. It's SRT oil, so they can get it with their parts order. At least that's how it was before I retired just over three years ago.
Pennzoil isn't trying to do anything with the weight of this oil. It's a high priced, low demand product, so retailers aren't crazy about stocking something they're afraid won't move. I know we got some in our warehouse, and it just sat for quite a while. I popped open a case to get a couple of pictures. The date code on the pics are December 2013.
If you've found a reliable way to buy it that's working for you, I'd stick with it.
Nice car. It's worth the trouble.
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image]

I never even tried to source it, but I know my dealer carries it, that's about it.

I just ordered a pile of Ravenol SSL 0w-40 from Blauparts instead.

Yep, I did purchase a case when NAPA had a great sale on this weight and brand. I tried to order another case and it had sold out in less than an hour. At least I did get one case for an exceptional price!

It's a kinda hard oil to find. I have a Schaeffer's dealer close to me and IV been using there 0w40 ever since Schaeffer's came out with it to meet that Chrysler spec.

Thanks Scuder! As bad as I hate to say it, I stay away from my nearest FCA dealer. You can get a great sale deal for a car, but service and parts have a lot to be desired. There's a new FCA dealership going up in a small town about 22 miles from me. I've had some experience with their Chevrolet dealership and it was reasonably acceptable. We'll see how the FCA part goes. I guess it is a low demand item and I haven't really considered that so much, but it makes sense. I've done well with Amazon so far, but I wish they had the 5 quart container available. I also order the SRT oil filter from Amazon when I order the oil, but the last two times they sent the filter in a bubble envelope rather than a box as they have done before. Needless to say what it looked like when I received it. I addressed it with Amazon and that was a waste of my time. I've since sent my issue to the BBB and that seemed to have gotten their attention!

How's it going? You know me by my aka in an old Impala forum. You tuned two Impalas for me. I sold one of them, but still have the 9C3 as my daily driver and it's doing great! I've never heard of Ravenol. Is it a Canada product? I'll check it out. I like the Pennzoil 0W-40, but it's a pain sometimes as its availability has slightly fluctuated on Amazon. How do you like that 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT? I've looked at one as well as a Durango SRT. My wife likes the Durango.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LTZ10
How's it going? You know me by my aka in an old Impala forum. You tuned two Impalas for me. I sold one of them, but still have the 9C3 as my daily driver and it's doing great! I've never heard of Ravenol. Is it a Canada product? I'll check it out. I like the Pennzoil 0W-40, but it's a pain sometimes as its availability has slightly fluctuated on Amazon.

Wouldn't be me, I was only ever into the SBF scene, so the Corral, SBFTech...etc. Must be another guy with the same user ID
smile.gif

Ravenol is a German product, they make premium oils using expensive bases like PAO, but unlike most boutique-esque oil blenders, have chosen to pursue OEM approvals for their products.

You can find it on Amazon, but Blauparts has it on sale quite frequently, so you can often get a screaming deal on it:
https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol-motor-oil-0w-40-ssl-5l.html

And the link to the product on Ravenol's website:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/product-range/motor-oils-for-passenger-cars-1/ravenol-ssl-sae-0w-40/

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
During a previous discussion of this oil, Mobil 1 0w40 ESP was mentioned. It's the recommended oil for the 2020 C7 Corvette and is Dexos 2 certified.

2020 C7 corvette? C7 stopped production in 2019. Maybe the factory fill for 2019's?

2020 is the C8 generation.

Y
Originally Posted by jimmyturner
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
During a previous discussion of this oil, Mobil 1 0w40 ESP was mentioned. It's the recommended oil for the 2020 C7 Corvette and is Dexos 2 certified.

2020 C7 corvette? C7 stopped production in 2019. Maybe the factory fill for 2019's?

2020 is the C8 generation.

Haha, whatever the advertising department says at Chevrolet. The last C7 rolled off the assembly line in November of 2019. Normally that car would be considered a 2020. Also, there were no C8 Corvettes on the dealer lots in January and February. In about 6 months the C8's will be considered as 2021 models. Thanks for the post.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have a Scat Pack Challenger and the OM recommends Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40. The issue I'm having is that Pennzoil indicates that this weight is sold at all automotive parts retailers and Walmart. I checked all parts stores in my area and no one has this weight. Walmart had a shelf tag, but has yet to have it on the shelf. Only one retailer, a local O'Reilly's finally told me they could order it, but a case was expensive! The 392 in the Challenger and Charger takes 7 quarts. Pennzoil told me to call their distributor in our area, so I called and she had no clue! After a long discussion, she finally said she could order it from Atlanta, GA, but it would take about 3-4 weeks and it was also expensive... Seriously? I live in North Carolina, so it shouldn't take that long if I had decided to drop that dime. Pennzoil even offered a rebate on the 5 quart container of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 and Amazon didn't even have it - neither did anyone else! I'm unsure what Pennzoil is trying to do with the availability of this weight oil. I've been ordering it from Amazon as that's the best price I can get so far. I had rather not change the brand as it's been doing well for my car. I know ordering it has several advantages, but I'd also like to have the availability and convenience of the 5 quart container. For anyone using this brand and weight, are you having the same availability issues? Thanks for your input!

May have to change brands, or pay thru the nose.
Walmart usually carries the regular Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge and Mobil-1 0w40s in five quart jugs.
You can buy all-3 online - have it delivered. I think free shipping comes with minimum $35 purchase.

How do you like Schaeffer's?

I like it alot. Has a crap ton of Moly B and the engine is running great. I won't go back that's for sure.

but I wish they had the 5 quart container available.

I've never seen the PUP 0W-40 SRT in 5 qt jugs. Does it even exist?

All I've ever seen are 1qt bottles of it.

Unless you want to pay thru the nose - outside of Walmartdotcom, you can't even find PUP of any viscosity anymore. I paid $22 at Walmartdotcom for 5w30 and it's over $30 at a couple independent small auto-part stores here. No thanks.

If it weren't for Walmart, I would have purchased Mobil-1 AP at the similar $30+ price. Again, at Walmart. Nobody beats Walmart pricing (outside of clearances and special Amazon sales). So when I need oil, Walmart's the only place I go. If I needed 0w40 again for my Colorado, I would buy something from Walmart stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Unless you want to pay thru the nose - outside of Walmartdotcom, you can't even find PUP of any viscosity anymore. I paid $22 at Walmartdotcom for 5w30 and it's over $30 at a couple independent small auto-part stores here. No thanks.

If it weren't for Walmart, I would have purchased Mobil-1 AP at the similar $30+ price. Again, at Walmart. Nobody beats Walmart pricing (outside of clearances and special Amazon sales). So when I need oil, Walmart's the only place I go. If I needed 0w40 again for my Colorado, I would buy something from Walmart stock.

I saw PUP at Napa yesterday for $6-and-change a qt. Not 0W-40, but if you read the thread you'd see it's available at Napa at a decent price for a car that needs it:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PCA550040856

*Upon further review it's at most local stores near me...

Last edited:

Most 0w40 on the shelves is spec'd for European cars, this 0w40 is a specialty product specifically for Dodge SRT vehicles it's only sold in quarts and due to it's low demand and low production volume it can be a little harder to find and it's generally kind of expensive, it's one of the little quirks that comes with owning one of these cars, although probably pretty insignificant in terms of total cost of ownership.

Originally Posted by blufeb95

Most 0w40 on the shelves is spec'd for European cars, this 0w40 is a specialty product specifically for Dodge SRT vehicles it's only sold in quarts and due to it's low demand and low production volume it can be a little harder to find and it's generally kind of expensive, it's one of the little quirks that comes with owning one of these cars, although probably pretty insignificant in terms of total cost of ownership.

The original SRT 0w-40 was Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro; the SRT's all originally spec'd a Euro 0w-40. When Fiat bought Chrysler, they terminated the existing relationship with Mobil as the OEM and service fill supplier and replaced them with SOPUS, who didn't have a direct replacement for M1 0w-40 in their portfolio at the time. The SRT product was quickly drummed up to fill that niche and has remained there since.

I've yet to see any metric by which the SRT 0w-40 is superior to its Euro-badged siblings, which universally have higher levels of AW additives, lower volatility...etc. I'm quite sure A40 is significantly more strenuous than whatever testing the SRT 0w-40 brew has been through.

Back