Pennzoil Ultra Plat 5w30 1.4L T Chevy Cruze 10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous 20k OCI was Amsoil 0w30. decided to give PUP 5w30 a try. Only went to 10k on this OCI. I didn't feel like I could go to 20k only because it experienced a bad PCV valve failure at just over the 8k mile mark on the oil. I was expecting much worse results due to this issue. Replaced with the GM EcoTech PCV valve (built into their Valve cover and purchased from GM Parts Direct. com). It came with its own inserted gasket so I did not use any gasket sealer of any type when I replaced it. I do appreciate the kind words of Blackstone Labs for my handiwork! This report is on the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and I did switch again and now have Valvoline 5w-30 High Mileage Full Synthetic in the crankcase. Going to go another 10k to compare wear averages against the Amsoil at 20k and the PUP at 10k and see how it compares. TBN seemed to hold its own at the 10k mark. Wear metals quite low for 10k.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 428
Both UOAs look good. Wow, 10k miles is a fairly long OCI for a turbo engine and 20k is really out there. That is a very chemically challenging environment for the oil to endure. Do you see any deposits in the oil fill hole or dipstick?

The oil did seem to be a bit darker than I remember the Amsoil at 10k... and considering that it was running pretty rough for close to 600-700 miles before I got around to replacing the PCV cover, I was very hesitant to push past 10k. No deposits that I could tell. Dipstick against white paper towel showed it fairly dark...but nothing detectable as far as deposits. The Valvoline has looked very clear in its first few hundred miles but that is to be expected this early in its lifespan. Others have commented about the EcoTech 1.4 Turbo being harsh on the oil. I think I might be lucky that this engine isn't so hard on the oil thus far. It's my daughter's car... 80% local city driving back and forth to college classes and work. Two occasions it went for a 1,000 mile round trip highway miles.

Changing oils each OCI makes establishing trends more difficult but both so far look good. Valvoline will produce nearly the same numbers as PP if everything is equal just go with the same spec and buy what is on sale.

Forgot to mention... I used Fram TG10246 Oil Filter On initial fill and replaced it again at the 5,000 mile mark on the OCI. New Purolator air filter at the start as well.

I bought a new 2011 Cruze with the 1.4T which I traded in in 2014 because of coolant loss/coolant odor that the dealer wouldn't or couldn't fix.
I remember reading UOAs of Mobil1 and QSUD 5w30 that did well for 7K OCIs. There is no way I would go over 10K on any oil with that small turbo and a lot of short tripping.

I have had good luck with PP 5W-30 in my Cruze 1.4T. UOA show 9-10k OCI's are not big deal. That is the only oil I have used. I've replaced much of my PCV system twice now, once under warranty and again myself at about 120k miles. When I did it myself I found the check valve in the intake manifold had disappeared. It is just a small piece of plastic, a disc on a stem covering some holes. Sounds like it is common form them to disintegrate and disappear. The purpose of the check valve is to keep the PCV system from pressurizing the crankcase when the turbo puts positive pressure in the intake system. The valve cover is not a PCV valve but a vacuum regulator. What I read was that when the check valve disappears, the vacuum regulator goes bad not long after. There is also a valve on the turbo at the end of the flex tube that runs from the turbo to the intake manifold. I added an external check valve on my intake manifold rather than replace the intake manifold. I then replaced the valve cover and PCV tube from the turbo. Replacing the check valve with an external one was the hardest part of the job as the intake manifold had to come off, it wasn't hard but just took some time. Below are some helpful links that I used. You might want to check and make sure you still have a check valve, it is easy to look and see. Good luck.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-...ine-light-sputtering-idle-squealing.html

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129...ace-valve-camshaft-cover-1-4l-turbo.html

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-...-intake-manifold-pcv-valve-fix-kits.html

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129...011-2016-cruze-1-4l-intake-manifold.html

Originally Posted by JAG
Both UOAs look good. Wow, 10k miles is a fairly long OCI for a turbo engine and 20k is really out there. That is a very chemically challenging environment for the oil to endure. Do you see any deposits in the oil fill hole or dipstick?

It is long interval thats for sure, but the cruze like the duramax runs Liquid cooled turbo. With this design you really dont have oil cooking even at quick shut off. Its really a non issue specially with a car where you dont see very high EGTs like with truck towing. Most of time I give my truck 5-10sec if I know the EGTs may be high but if I was bascially idling through parking lot to park she getting shut off imediately.

Definitely good report he has here though those are good Iron per 1k miles avg.

Wow, great UOA. These 1.4Ts seem to have issues with detonation. Do you run premium, mid-grade, or regular gas in it?

Usually regular. I will put 89 Octane mid-grade in occasionally when I do the fill. Otherwise my daughter puts in regular 87 Octane grade. Car runs smooth in either grade.

Wow... so at least thru 10k, the "weak" PUP matches the "much superior" Amsoil? Wow. Whodathunkit.

Sarcasm aside, both reports look good but I agree swapping oil brands every OCI will make it tough to decipher any real trends.

Imho I don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy an American car company 4cyl engines. They're garbage in comparison to Honda and Toyota. GM is good only for V8 engines.

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
Imho I don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy an American car company 4cyl engines. They're garbage in comparison to Honda and Toyota. GM is good only for V8 engines.

Yeah … And if it was a Honda engine on M1 the oil type did nothing … Have PP in the 2013 1.4T and around 115k M1 0w40 is on deck …Will say it again … what they are hard on is Dex VI ATF … and easy to dump/change a gallon during a convenient oil change …(11 mm vs 10 mm wrench) I buy packs of Hengst oil filters on eBay …

Yeah …
I have never bought a foreign brand … no big deal either way … free country … why push your agenda … all adults here …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah …
I have never bought a foreign brand … no big deal either way … free country … why push your agenda … all adults here …

I've had a few foreign cars way back, but all American cars now. I look for something that has a decent domestic parts content too. They all have given me good service. The Cruze got a bad rap when they rushed it into production in 2011. By 2015 all the bugs were worked out and AFAIK there aren't any inherent issues with the new generation Cruze. It makes me sad that Lordstown is closing, but too many people could care less about what happens to our workers as long as it doesn't affect them. There seriously seems to be a lack of empathy in our country now more than ever. We used to stick together, now it's all about me right now. Rant over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Wow... so at least thru 10k, the "weak" PUP matches the "much superior" Amsoil? Wow. Whodathunkit.

Sarcasm aside, both reports look good but I agree swapping oil brands every OCI will make it tough to decipher any real trends.

With the PUP... it was the second round... not the first round after Amsoil. I didn't take a sample of the 70k to 80k oil. It was PUP as well. I did switch to Valvoline FS High Mileage on the current OCI interval that is currently underway. I will do an OCI on this round... and will run Valvoline on another OCI round just so I can get that trend built in similar fashion that I did with Amsoil and Pennzoil. My only concern is that my daughter may not own the car by the time I finish my second round on Valvoline. She's looking at a Subaru in her near future. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back