Pennzoil Ultra on closeout, is it worth hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a few jugs at one WM for $21, and two at regular price at a different one. All the other WM's around here - and there are a lot - are out-of-stock.

I also got a case of qts at AZ for $4 / qt - at that price, and with the rebate offer, I'd buy more, but all the AZ's that had it for $4 /qt were sold out, and all the ones that had it in stock had it for regular price, > $9+ /qt. These are stores that are only blocks apart, go figure.

If you average it out and figure in the rebates I did ok per qt, and I'm set for a while
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I'm frankly pi$$ed Walmart isn't carrying it anymore.
Boutique quality at mainstream Walmart prices, best of both worlds. What a shame.

Our local WM has it (5 quart jugs are SM but has SN in single quart bottles). Hope it stays that way. Appears it is a regional if not store by store decision to keep pretty much anything in stock. I've noticed many Walmart stores with very regional/local items. Their distribution system is very sophisticated. Gone are the days a big retailer must keep the same inventory system wide.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
All our PU is $21.00 5qt jug ,Ive been stocking up on it and will continue till all gone ,i have 6 5 gt jugs now how can you pass up an outstanding oil like PU.

What happened to '"Always"....Mobil 1'?

Just checked another Walmart. They only had one jug of Ultra left, and it was the wrong viscosity, and it was $26.75. Then I walked across the street to a AutoZone, and they had only one quart of Ultra left, and it was full price, less than two miles from another AZO where I bought it for $4 a quart. So there is a great deal of variation from one AZO to another as to what is clearance and it looks like the same holds true for Walmart. May go back to the first Walmart and buy the jug of Ultra for $26.75 since it is still a bargain at that price.

Originally Posted By: Dom
Why is it on closeout? Is something about to replace it? I only saw PP for $22.xx and PU was $24.xx.

Sounds like Pennzoil Ultra is going the way of the Maxlife Full Syn, NextGen, and even G-oil: doesn't sell, the companies deny there is a problem, yet they go on close-out sale every month.

I still remember when I got 14 quarts of Maxlife, 8 5W-30 and 6 10W-30, for $1.87 a quart. Had oil for a full year.

Must be a regional thing, the Maxlife Full Syn is finally on the shelves at Walmarts around here, meanwhile the Ultra sits on the closeout shelves for $21 and still nobody is buying.

It seems like Castrol Edge Titanium even outsold the Ultra here, and even that is being closed out.

I wonder if Ultra is going to make a comeback with a new name and dexos1 packaging.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Saying VI is only part of the picture is the same as saying the viscosity of an oil is only part of the picture.

Wrong. An oil's VI is of little importance.

VI is the relationship between the viscosity at two points: 212 and 104 F. It does not give any indication of how an oil flows in practical winter temperatures. PP has a VI of 171; PU has a VI of 165. Yet, PU fairs much better in CCS tests.

Went to another Walmart today. Looked all over the auto section, found no ultra. Then I found two on a clearance shelf in the gardening section. Picked up two quarts of 5w20 for ten bucks. This is fun!

I just took cat843's advice and checked a bunch of local Houston area Wal-Marts at random. Almost all are showing jugs at $26.97 and quarts at $7.97 with a few stores not showing any prices.

One super center showed "local store only" (no pricing) for all grades and then quarts of 10W-30 Pennzoil Ultra at $0.50 per quart. I selected the maximum quantity (12) and went to check out. It changed the quantity to 11 and then processed for local pickup at $5.95 total including tax!!!

I logged out and went back in to try for more, but it now says out of stock. This store is very convenient for me so not a major problem if they blow me off. I'll post back on what happens. The email I received says available for store pickup after 9:20 this morning.

Originally Posted By: TXMXTruck
Hmmm. Wal-Mart waited 11 hours and then sent me 11 email messages canceling each quart separately.

Maybe someone snatched them up?

For some reasons unknown to me, Walmart store doesn't do inventory very well on closeout/clearance merchandises.

Me too, I selected the maximum quantity and it changed the quantity to 2. Another Walmart nearby had none online but a phone call to that store revealed they had 7 quarts.

I went to the first store to pickup the 7 quarts at $5/qt, then went to second store to pickup the 2 quarts I reserved/paid. I then went to the automobile section and found 1 jug and 5 quarts on clearance shelf. The 2 quarts I paid online was adjusted down from $5/qt to $2.50, the other quarts were $2.50 too and the jug was $10.50.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For some reasons unknown to me, Walmart store doesn't do inventory very well on closeout/clearance merchandises.

Me too, I selected the maximum quantity and it changed the quantity to 2. Another Walmart nearby had none online but a phone call to that store revealed they had 7 quarts.

I went to the first store to pickup the 7 quarts at $5/qt, then went to second store to pickup the 2 quarts I reserved/paid. I then went to the automobile section and found 1 jug and 5 quarts on clearance shelf. The 2 quarts I paid online was adjusted down from $5/qt to $2.50, the other quarts were $2.50 too and the jug was $10.50.

Was the $2.50/qt at the Foothill Ranch WM? I saw that price online and would have snatched them up myself, but the time and costs of driving down there made it uneconomical.

The wal mart near me never did mark back there prices on ultra. There stock of ultra just disappeared. There is still probably 150 quarts of nextgen Maxlife on the shelf that they don't stock anymore. No body buys it...wonder why they don't mark the price back I mite get it all!

I didnt read all of the posts, so if this was mentioned already..my apologies. Why dont we all ban together here @ bitog, and send a message to Pennzoil to try and do something about this wonderful now hard to find motor oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
I didnt read all of the posts, so if this was mentioned already..my apologies. Why dont we all ban together here @ bitog, and send a message to Pennzoil to try and do something about this wonderful now hard to find motor oil?

Eh, I think I am done with synthetics.
But, I will support your efforts in any way I can.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: lexus114

Eh, I think I am done with synthetics.
But, I will support your efforts in any way I can.
thumbsup2.gif

Hahaha, thanks man!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back