Pennzoil Ultra on closeout, is it worth hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the Walmarts are blowing out the Pennzoil Ultra, is this stuff worth stocking up on or not? Seems that the excitement people had about it 2 years ago has faded. Just got an excellent 2004 Acura MDX with only 92k on it and I'm thinking about running the 5W-20 Ultra.

The excitement hasn't faded, in fact its still going strong. There is a lot of discussion going on right now in the oil additive section about it. If I could find it at closeout prices I'd stockpile it.

If it was the SN version, or heck, even the SM version, I would hoarde, yes. After PQIA posted their tests on the SN Ultra - wow. Stout oil.

what kind of clearance. the 1$ off kind not exciting..

3$/qt or less = exciting.

I think it depends on price. If its 22 dollars and you dont have a need for such a high level product then i would say no. Maybe grab a couple if your like to use it. You can get QS HP everyday at that price and in most vehicles would never know the difference. If it is 15 dollars or so then load the truck.

I have read rumors that they are discontinuing all 5 qt jugs of Ultra because there not selling, but will continue to keep the 1qt bottles. Of course you cant believe everything you read.

PU is still offered at my local Walmarts... I just bought my latest one for $26 or whatever it is. No signs of it on clearance, yet.

Edge was though... Like $2/off each quart.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Are they blowing out the older SM version?

OT, but a local parts store is "blowing out" (at least by Canadian standards) a bunch of M1 and Castrol Syntec (black bottle) SM/GF-4. It's not a low volume place, so I wonder where they had that stuff lying around.

And they had no PU, either.
wink.gif

Right now they are clearing out the SN Ultra $21 for the 5qt and $5 for the quarts. If you look closely at the price tag it shows how many weeks it has been on clearance, 5 & 6 weeks in this case. I know other people have said that it eventually drops to $10 and $2.50. I wonder how many weeks that takes.

Last edited:
I just saw some for $5/qt at my Walmart. I'll wait until it's marked down a bit more.

I did grab a $20 clearance 5 qt jug though as it had the latest $10 rebate form attached.

If you go online to Walmart and select a local store you can see if they carry it, and if its on sale or normal. Then order online your hoarding quantity and you have a week or two to pick it up. You can order 5 jugs and if they only have 2 they will adjust your order down.

People are less excited about PU as its just too hard to get and PP is almost as good and always in supply.

Bought about 8 cases (6 per box) of the 5W30 SM formula when the NEX was closing it out. $1.98/QT was too good a deal to pass up.

I would stock up on Ultra from Wal-Mart if it represented a very good deal. The oil itself is great, but no point filling up your life/garage/shelf with things that you can get for the same price in the future...

At a low enough price, it would be worth stocking up on Ultra.
Someone else suggested $3.00/qt would be a good price, and I'd agree with that.
Shell has ample GTL basestock capacity, so even if Ultra goes away, SOPUS will offer an equally good oil to replace it, so it isn't as though Ultra is your only shot at a well forumulated GTL basestock oil.

PU is a quality oil but I'm not impressed that it's VI is no better than a dino and actually inferior to PP.
But everything is relative. At $5/qt it's not cheap enough interest me but if it drops to $3 bucks, why not, especially for summer use.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
PU is a quality oil but I'm not impressed that it's VI is no better than a dino and actually inferior to PP.
But everything is relative. At $5/qt it's not cheap enough interest me but if it drops to $3 bucks, why not, especially for summer use.

That's only because you haven't tried it. I ran PU 5w-30 last summer in my supercharged Mustang GT 5.0 (540HP) and it was exceptional. Shear was non-existent, consumption was low and wear metals and nitration were excellent.

What's interesting about PU 5w-30 is that the V100, V40, HTHSV and NOACK are all within a few percent of those values for Redline 5w-20. I had the Redline on hand so I ran it for the winter, but I'm not expecting better results than I had with the PU.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I paid $2.50/qt for 6 bottles and $10.50 5-qt jug, total $27.60 tax included. Mailed in 2 rebates, $10 for 5 quarts limit 2 and $25 warranty rebate.

Received the $25 warranty rebate check few days ago, so far the net cost is $2.60 for 11 quarts PU, assume that the $20 rebate is denied. If stamps is included then my cost of PU is about 35 cents a quart.

I just returned from Walmart and there were no quarts and only 3 jugs left at 26 bucks each. No hoarding for me at that price. It was even marked as clearance and located on the close out aisle but it was priced the same as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back