Pennzoil Ultra on closeout, is it worth hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like Pennzoil products but I am more of a Valvoline guy. The O'Reilly's blow out of Max Life and Racing Synthetic gets my valves going quicker than discounted Ultra.

Get it while the getting good, get the SN not the SM. Show me another oil on the market today with the exception of Amsoils top shelf a with NOAK in the 6.x% range.
As far as the VI is concerned i am not convinced that superior base stocks like these oils use need as much as lesser (albeit still good) ones like is used in PP or QSUD for example.

Regular price at my WM.. checked today. Drat!

I agree with Trav! The VI is only a part of the picture. It's PU is about the same as the Amsoil OE.

Last edited:
Saying VI is only part of the picture is the same as saying the viscosity of an oil is only part of the picture.
The fact remains that viscosity is the most important aspect of an oil.

PU 5W-20 is a heavy 20wt oil due to it's lowish VI and higher than average HTHSV. So if you want a heavier 20wt oil for summer use or if high oil temp's may be encountered with lots of long haul driving, then it could be a good choice in the States (it's not available in Canada).

I plan to use slightly thicker PU 5W20 in my S2000 which spec'ed for 10W30, also the lowest temp my car may see is no less than 45-50F so the low VI is not a real concern.

Also, I may replace 1 quart with M1 0W40 to make the mix a thick xW20 and a little closer to xW30.

I could not say no to $2.50/qt or $10.50 5-qt jug of PU API SN that my WM had on clearance shelf, and the $25 warranty rebate.

Originally Posted By: switek
I just returned from Walmart and there were no quarts and only 3 jugs left at 26 bucks each. No hoarding for me at that price. It was even marked as clearance and located on the close out aisle but it was priced the same as always.

Ive seen a lot of clearance oil at my wm but its just red stickers with.normal pricing.

All our PU is $21.00 5qt jug ,Ive been stocking up on it and will continue till all gone ,i have 6 5 gt jugs now how can you pass up an outstanding oil like PU.

The local rack was emptied and is now full again. It is a pretty deep gravity feed rack, so it looks like it is moving if they are stocking that much.

After getting a lot of oil free after rebate lately and moving to once a year synthetic OCIs, I will not touch any oil that is not free. As a matter of fact, 2008 was the last year I paid for oil (very discounted). BITOG membership has benefits after all.

Why is it on closeout? Is something about to replace it? I only saw PP for $22.xx and PU was $24.xx.

It is most likely the season for shuffling of shelf space in many stores. The slow moving stuff goes away and they try something new.

Just wanted to add that I have been to another AutoZone stores where the Ultra was not clearance priced. When I brought the bottle up to the register to be scanned, and told the cashier I could buy the same oil at another AZ for less than half the price, he told me I must have the wrong weight or something. I didn't bother to argue.

One of my local Walmarts that "ran out" of PU in 5w-30 must have fond a little stock somewhere. They now have 3 5 qt jugs.

Exchanged a 10w-30 jug for one of the 5w-30. Left the other 2 for now since the 10 I have is plenty. Will see it the price drops anymore and maybe pick it up then.

Another local Walmart is down to quarts of 5w-20 at 5.00 each. Again Ill wait to see if the price goes lower and maybe pick some up for our Acura.

Originally Posted By: ChrisJH
Walmart is down to quarts of 5w-20 at 5.00 each. Again Ill wait to see if the price goes lower and maybe pick some up.

I'm doing the same thing. But, my local WM has it in all wt's.
thumbsup2.gif

Scored 4 5qt jugs of PU 5w20 from my local walmart for $10.29 each. Yes, $10.29 plus tax for a jug. Total include tax is $45. What a deal. Enough for 40k oci for my 2005 k24 Accord.

I'm frankly pi$$ed Walmart isn't carrying it anymore.
Boutique quality at mainstream Walmart prices, best of both worlds. What a shame.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I'm frankly pi$$ed Walmart isn't carrying it anymore.
Boutique quality at mainstream Walmart prices, best of both worlds. What a shame.

+1

I stocked up on as much PU on clearance as I could. I should have a steady supply for use in my WRX for the next 5 years or so.

A good majority of the people run 0w40/5w40 HDEO oils on the same engine for extra shear protection. Some end up shearing down to a 30 weight oil after being in service.

PU is the only non-boutique 5w30 Energy Conserving oil that I have tried that do not get beaten to a pulp in my engine. I would go as far to say it doesn't seem to shear at all.

Check out my latest PU UOA here: 2011 WRX - PU UOA

I do hope Shell does something to keep the "PU" formula alive. I don't care if they have to re-brand it.
cry.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Maxima97
Scored 4 5qt jugs of PU 5w20 from my local walmart for $10.29 each. Yes, $10.29 plus tax for a jug. Total include tax is $45. What a deal. Enough for 40k oci for my 2005 k24 Accord.

With $10 rebate for 5 quarts, limit 2 rebates per address, your net is about $25 for 4 jugs.

http://www.pennzoil.com/diy-rebate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back