Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W30, VW GTI 5077 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2myt1s1.jpg

This is a VW 504/507 low saps oil so it should in no way be compared to any other flavor of Pennzoil Ultra. I used this oil to offset the formation of intake valve deposits.
My 2013 VW has the TSI CCTA engine and a six speed manual.
The oxidation level was flagged red as critical. Iron levels typically read higher in these engines I think.
The TBN is 3.43

Thanks for the report.

The TBN held up OK, considering that starting TBN is around 5.6 as well as that our gasoline is not ultra low sulfur.

As for oxidation, I've seen values that were even higher than that and the lab did not consider them critical. I guess it does depend on what the starting point was though.

TBN hold very well! It hold better then M1 0W40 in my TSI that is also CCTA.
We will see how M1 ESP will hold in my CC. I will do 3K UOA then 5K.
If it holds very well, I think after 4-5 UOA on 504.00/507.00 we could conclude that that oil is suitable for TSI engines if we go for 5K OCI.

Thanks for posting! I've been hoping for some more UOA's of this oil in gasser motors. Very nice TBN retention.

I'm not sure how concerned I would be about the oxidation number. Overkill claims his last UOA on his M5 showed 39 with M1 0W-40, and prescient had a reading of 42 with VW 0W-30 on his Touareg with an 11,000 km OCI. It also hasn't thickened at all.

If the oxidation turns out not to be an issue it looks like it could easily do 7500 miles. What's your driving style?

Thanks for the report. Though much discussed we haven't had many reports of gas engine with low-saps oils. Looks like it did fine, viscosity under control despite oxidation.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Thanks for the report. Though much discussed we haven't had many reports of gas engine with low-saps oils. Looks like it did fine, viscosity under control despite oxidation.

There are a few others out there, including one I've posted. The TBN in this report is the best I've seen. Most 504 oils in these 2.0T DI gas engines are down around a 2.0-2.5 TBN at 5K miles.

I concluded a while ago that a 504 oil is fine for these on a 5K OCI, and this further confirms my opinion. I do think this is the way to go for DI gas cars until the intake valve deposit issue is solved.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

Despite oxidation? What is the virgin value?

Guys, expect 3K UOA on M1 ESP 5W30.
I will have it in two week when I change oil on my CC.
If TBN stays good, will do another UOA on 5K, so we can get some better idea about LOW/SAPS oils and DI engines.
On that note, I would say that based on this UOA here, drivers in CA could use Low-SAPS easily considering better quality of fuel there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back