Pennzoil Ultra - Before I put it in

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long have you used it so far in KM's... I might just put this in instead of my trusty cooling system lubricant I usually put.

And I meant what I said... The router recommendation started it and the posts of yours I have read with factual evidence and the chats we have had off-line prove to me you are a man of your word and honest.
wink.gif

Well, it is currently in the Lincoln, but I haven't driven it much since we got the Expedition.

Longest I've run it for is 80,000Km, haven't put it in the Expedition, simply because I haven't gotten around to it.

Seems to me that if some snake oil was as good as advertised, the auto makers would put it in to begin with.

In time, all these miracle additives seem to succumb to reality with some hard nosed, scientific testing revealing either a total fraud or some dangerous fault that can ruin an engine.

Count me out of any of these miracle formulas.

80,000 Km's sounds good to me... I was just googling it and no one has had anything bad to say about it and there is no claims from the FTC about it so I guess it's a product that works as advertised.

run 5w40 rotella t6 or the new mobil one 5w40 truck and diesel turbo, it will do fine and will stop oil usage unless u have some mechancial condition.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
run 5w40 rotella t6 or the new mobil one 5w40 truck and diesel turbo, it will do fine and will stop oil usage unless u have some mechancial condition.
54.gif

Huh?

Well it worked in mine. I mean actual real world results that I can see first hand. And like Stevie said, I've never heard or read of any negative effects so far. Royal Purple, Redline and Amsoil all make basically the same thing, as well as some others I think and all are well respected companies in most people's eyes. It was cheap (on sale now at O'Reilly's for $7) so it's not like a big waste of money if it didn't pan out.

Last edited:
The Ultra doesn't seem "thin" at all to me. In fact, the castrol Edge that I had used previously seemed thinner! I have noticed my oil consumption is lower with the Ultra vs. the Edge.

Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
On my first run of Ultra(5w-30). Consumption is higher than any syn I've ever used. At 3k miles I've already added 12oz makeup oil. Used Amsoil and M1 prior since vehicle was new. Typically I may use only 6-8oz makeup on a 5-6k OCI. No more Ultra for me. At least in that engine.

A lawsuit that sets a prescient that a GRP III. oil is "synthetic"...does not.. from an organic chemistry composition standpoint.. make the oil a GRP IV. or GRP V. oil...a GRP III is closer to conventional oil...it is more susceptible to volatility...shearing...heat breakdown...as you are experiencing for yourself.

...My opinion is that GRP III oils...at the prices they are being charged for...are ripoffs...good conventional oils do perform near the same...some better perhaps too.

You get what you pay for and it's all overpriced these days since that lawsuit.

Remember when you could buy M-1 Redcap 15W-50 which I understand was a PAO with some ester in it too for about $ 6.00/qt...pre-lawsuit?

We are paying "PAO prices" for GRP III. products... lower performing oils...and it's all about marketing...smoke and mirrors...and 5w-20 for CAFE'(and oil companies to force sell SM and their "new" oils at ridiculous prices for their quality and composition)...the consumer is set up to take a hit...and the funny thing is that the oil companies have fooled them all!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Who here thinks RTS/T6 is not a great oil?

Interesting. I've never heard anyone say that. What basis do you say that on? I've seen it perform remarkably well in my app. Lots of people run it on highly modded high HP Speed 3's w/ great results.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Who here thinks RTS/T6 is not a great oil?

Interesting. I've never heard anyone say that. What basis do you say that on? I've seen it perform remarkably well in my app. Lots of people run it on highly modded high HP Speed 3's w/ great results.

It's a Group III oil
27.gif

Based on some of the posts here, it should be a poor performer. And the plethora of Group III hi-po Euro oils.

I think T5 10w30 is a Group II/III blend isn't it? It's very good regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back