Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 - 7,000 miles - 2008 Scion xB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pictured below is my latest report back from Blackstone... Ran the oil 7,000 miles to test wear trends and test TBN of the Ultra. Looks good (I think, at least). I plan to run my next OCI 10,000mi.

The two older reports were using both Pennzoil Platinum 0W20. So this was my first run with Ultra. Thankfully, I have two 5qt jugs in my stash which should last me well over a year.

xBReport.jpg

Comments and recommendations welcome!

Last edited:
I plan to go for close to 10K next OCI and test, then if I can, increase from there. I do not want to push it too much, but I want to get what I can from the oil. Baby steps first!
laugh.gif

Good amount of Boron and Calcium, Ultra will keep your engine spotless. With TBN of 4.8 after 7k miles it could be used as a long drain oil up to 14-15k miles or 1 year.

Yeah, I think I will go to about 10K, and that should give me a bi-annual OCI. Which would be nice. Spring/Fall. Avoid the cold and hot months
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Rican
Awesome, I just finished a 7,500 mile oci on my wifes tC. I might follow suit and go a lil further given that it is virtualy the same engine.

...and different climate, usage, tolerances.

It doesn't get that cold down here in houston and she doesn't race the car. Only thing got to watch for is that as soon as the ignition hits start, the woman is already on gear and getting on the gas >:-/ Also, 90% highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rican
It doesn't get that cold down here in houston and she doesn't race the car. Only thing got to watch for is that as soon as the ignition hits start, the woman is already on gear and getting on the gas >:-/ Also, 90% highway.

The "warm UP" Method us very tough to train out of people, good luck.
wink.gif

On a side note: our tC is a 2005 and other than one rattle, the car has performed flawless for 100k miles since we bought it new, you scion owners have the same experience?

FWIW-we run Castrol "green" and a toyo oil filter.

That's an excellent report. The viscosity got beat up, but I wouldn't worry about it. The wear is incredibly low and the TBN is strong. I would also run it 10K miles without concern. Thank you for sharing this information.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BayouTodd
On a side note: our tC is a 2005 and other than one rattle, the car has performed flawless for 100k miles since we bought it new, you scion owners have the same experience?

I don't own a tC, but I like them more and more as time goes on. They seem bulletproof. I understand they're a touch heavy for a "small" coupe (built on Toyota's Avensis platform), but the payback seems to be a super-tight structure and decent ride. I think the only thing to watch for would be the head bolt/gasket integrity on the 2AZ-FE engine.

Originally Posted By: izzycohen
The viscosity got beat up, but I wouldn't worry about it.

What do you mean by that? The viscosity looks well within range to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back