Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 | 13229mi | 2008 Highlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 2GR-FE
Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 API SN - bottles had October 2012 date codes.
OEM 04152-YZZA1 oil filter - looked the same as the last OCI when it came out. You can pics in my prior UOA.
13,229 Miles - about 8 months from 70525k to 83754k. Lots of highway miles on this run.
The same FAR Ultra 5w-20 went in.

Prior UOA

The rubber oil cooler lines were replaced with the metal ones from the 2012+ Highlanders. I think they are aluminum. Apparently some of the rubber ones were exploding and dumping all the oil out. If you have a Toyota with a 2GR-FE, you should check to see if you have metal or rubber oil lines. More info:
https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-secon...s-pictures.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-2n...i-oil-line.html

Initially, the engine was slightly overfilled because I put in 7 quarts. Normally it is 6.4 quarts for oil + filter change, but more oil came out when I removed the oil cooler hose. Was it at least 0.25 quarts? Yeah, probably. Was it 0.6 quarts? Ehhhh, probably not. The oil on the dipstick was ever so slightly higher than usual. I drained about 6.25 out on this OCI. It's tough to say for sure how much it was overfilled and how much the engine burned, but I really doubt it burned more than 0.5qt.

shzKX3v.png

Very impressive...oil and filtration. I wonder what the virgin TAN would have been. I'm surprised how high it is given the use (lots of highway miles) and being in the warmer part of the country (even if it was cooler this past winter). Maybe the TAN was already a bit high to start and 7.1 is insignificant.

No signs of excessive bearing corrosion anyway.

Thanks for posting a high mile oci to learn from!

I might go to 15K this run. It depends on how many months go by and if the driving conditions differ. I have enough PU 5w30 for 2 more OCIs. I found another 5 qt jug at Walmart for $21. Hopefully I can double up on the FRN and 500000 mile warranty rebates.

Can anyone shed light on the relationship of the TAN to TBN numbers in this specific report? How much acidity is too much?

Thanks for posting. Interesting report.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Can anyone shed light on the relationship of the TAN to TBN numbers in this specific report? How much acidity is too much?

A little surprising that Blackstone stated the TAN was "OK"; in my inquiries to them about this topic, they previously had indicated that 8.x was considered the high limit. Personally, I would not push this oil much further. Another 1800 miles may not be a problem (i.e. 15K OCI), but I would cap it at that (but that is just me).

With such low wear metals, I don't see any sign of corrosive wear, so I think it was still protecting decently when it was changed. I believe corrosive wear produced small particles that are detected relatively accurately by UOAs.

Originally Posted By: timeau
Russian rule of thumb: if TAN > TBN, change this oil. You definitely overrun it.

Ok, great story.

PU 5w20 seems to be an excellent oil.
Some would criticize it's mediocre VI Index but I don't think that matters as much for those living in the South or California.
If I was in Canada or the far north US I would probably want a high VI Index oil for the colder months but it would be hard to beat this PU in any climate where it rarely goes below 20*F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back