Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40, 5,997 mi, 04 Sub Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
......................OCI's on the previous runs were 6k on the M1 .................

-Dennis

6k on the M1 0W40 and its TBN was down to 1.99 ! My recollection from other UOAs here is that the 0W40 generally has better TBN retention than what you experienced. Did you do some severe driving during the 0W40 use?

Nothing more severe than usual.
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
..................Here's a uoa on PU 5W-30 from a modified WRX posted at nasioc. 263 WHP/298 WTQ. Lots of short trips and a run at the Tail of the Dragon.

Not bad for an Energy Conserving oil, IMO!.................

The PU 5W30 seems to be a bit less prone to shearing than the PP 5W30, doesn't it?

Yeah, the PU seems to do really well for short-ish (5k) intervals.

-Dennis

With the exception of 1 qt of make-up oil, the only PU that I've tried is the 5W-40. The second uoa on 5W-30 is from another owner.

-Dennis

I don't see anything wrong with this report TBH. Good job! Take your pick on oil, go 5k max if you want a nice round number. With the miles might want to look at HM oils like M1's lineup. Or just stick to any quality 40 weight and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: webfors
............Or just stick to any quality 40 weight and be done with it.

I don't think bluesubie can stick to one oil.
grin2.gif
Lethal boredom would set in.
lol.gif

We solved the clogged screen problem on our 04 Forester XT by removing the screens. No problems in 30k miles.

I thought about doing that but the head Sr. Master Tech at my dealer convinced me to keep all of the screens in (turbo oil feed and AVCS). He said that leaving them in (to block debris) outweighed the benefits of removing them. I know some argue that the oil filter would catch debris. My tech finished third in a world Subaru tech competition held in Japan, so I figure he knows a little more than me.
smile.gif

-Dennis

I took my '08 Legacy GT to my independent Subaru mechanic at 60K to have the screen(s) removed on their recommendation. They ended up leaving them in. Their research though Subaru came to the same conclusion: Leave all the screens in and stick with the 3.75K OCI, preferably with a synthetic. I'm staying with T5 and letting the dispersants and detergents in the HDEO do their thing.

Ed

............Considering switching to Red Line or Motul since I can get $100 off with my Subaru credit card rewards. A Subaru dealer in PA carries Red Line and one in MD carries Motul. I’m thinking the esters in Red Line, 300V, or X-Lite might be ideal. .............-Dennis

From your signature I see you decided on the Motul X-Lite 0W30. What attracted you to this oil? When will you be doing a UOA? I don't think I have ever seen a UOA for the X-Lite 0W30 in a Subaru. Just be sure you don't post it at nasioc!
lol.gif
You'll be crucified.
grin2.gif

UOA

dOOOOOOd!! Spending more than $25 for oil and not buying from Wal-Mart is a WASTE.
Crazy. :unamused: Uncle Scotty and I are buds.
smile.gif

One reason is that I was intrigued by dOOdfOOd's brother's uoa on this oil (robust add pack). Another reason is that I wanted to see if ester based alone would make an oil rev as freely and smoothly as Red Line. Now I think it's the moly and/or the moly combined with esters and not esters alone. I never noticed a subjective difference with any oil with the exception of Red Line.

Oh, and I was thinking of getting this stuff from a Subaru dealer with my Subaru credit card rewards. Decided to blow them on an AccessPort instead. Much more fun.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back