Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 vs Amsoil Signature 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil PDS

Pennzoil PDS

Thoughs?

I like Ultra's lower NOACK numbers. Viscosity index is about the same. Pennzoil Ultra can be had for roughly $6/qt in jugs while Amsoil is $10-11/qt.

Im curious of everybody's overall thoughts on this oil compared to Amsoil Signature.

Both are excellent, some people prefer Amsoil for their guarantee for longer drain intervals but as you see by the spec's both are outstanding. I go with PU for the price and availability (at least it used to be available) for my Hyundai with the DI engine.

Quote:
I like Ultra's lower NOACK numbers. Viscosity index is about the same. Pennzoil Ultra can be had for roughly $6/qt in jugs while Amsoil is $10-11/qt

It's a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
So how does PU compare to Mobil 1 synthetic as far as quality of the oil goes?

PU is as every bit as good. There isn't to much of a difference between most of the top tier oils.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
So how does PU compare to Mobil 1 synthetic as far as quality of the oil goes?

PU is as every bit as good. There isn't to much of a difference between most of the top tier oils.

You could say PU is better given the higher TBN, lower pour point, and lower NOACK.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Amsoil PDS

Pennzoil PDS

Thoughs?

I like Ultra's lower NOACK numbers. Viscosity index is about the same. Pennzoil Ultra can be had for roughly $6/qt in jugs while Amsoil is $10-11/qt.

Im curious of everybody's overall thoughts on this oil compared to Amsoil Signature.

Actually Amsoil is $7.66/qt in jugs.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amsoil PDS

Pennzoil PDS

Thoughs?

Actually Amsoil is $7.66/qt in jugs.

You can get 5w-30 Signature in 5qt jugs for $38.30?

^^^ is that through you, or a website?

Is the preferred customer pricing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
^^^ is that through you, or a website?

PC Pricing. Through me.

How much is 5qts shipped? Might get some for my friend.

Compare PU 5w-30 to the Amsoil 0w30.

Amsoil 0w30 PDS

I said almost a year ago that this PU looked so similar to Amsoil that one has to wonder if Amsoil isn't using a SOPUS base.
They are too close to be just a coincidence IMO, even the pour point is identical and the rest is all within statistical noise.
TBN? Who knows it could be the same too, the PDS doesn't say.

Well, Amsoil like many others is probably using similar base oils and additives to many oils on the market being there are only a handful of suppliers. I think Amsoil is using Infineum additives.

Even Mobil uses hand picked addtives and not all of them are from their own suppliers. This is probably true for many of these companies.

The NA additive we see in Valvoline and others is a Lubrizol package I think.

All that has changed is the market is now demanding higher quality synthetics, so rather than just the boutiques and Mobil 1, the others are now producing them. They gain economies of scale and are very competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back