Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 SN 3,016mi 06 Mariner Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: My 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid that has been converted to use a dual remote bypass filter.
Date of oil being placed into service: November 3rd 2012
Odometer at time of oil change: 50,757
Oil used: 6.5 quarts Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 SN/GF-5 full synthetic.
Filter: Amsoil EaO15 and EaBP90
Top Up: none
Air filter: Performax PA-502
Date of sample: February 14th 2013
Miles on oil: 3,016
Miles on vehicle at time of sample: 53,773
Oil Analysis Lab: ALS Tribology, Georgia branch, using a NAPA FIL 4077 sample kit.
Previous oil used: 4.5 quarts Red Line 0w-20
Current oil: Oil was not changed, just sampled.

2006%20Mercury%20Mariner%20Hybrid%20-%20Pennzoil%20Ultra%205w-20%20SN%20GF-5%20-%203016%20miles.png

VOA can be found here

This is the second sample on this fill of oil. Everything looks great. The TBN is depleting quickly, which doesn't surprise me. I do quite a few short trips throughout the week. There was cardboard behind the grill to help it warm up, but being a hybrid it just doesn't get that hot.

No top up oil was added during that 3,016 miles, but I did add 1/2 quart after taking the sample to make up for the oil lost doing the last 2 UOA's. That 1/2 quart put it slightly over the level it was when I did the change, so there has been very little oil consumption.

The silicon level of 12 after only 1,001 miles had me concerned, so I ordered the best performing air filter I could find (ACdelco professional) but I have yet to install it. I bought an air filter restriction gauge that I intend to install, and will only change my filters when it indicates that they are too dirty. With the silicon level at only 13 right now, I see no reason to change the filter prematurely, as it is doing an adequate job.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Why are you running the crazy short OCI??

READ - it was sampled, not changed.

Silicon seems high for 3K miles. Did you by chance open up the filter housing during the first 1001 miles after you did the initial change?

Would have liked to see TBN a bit higher for 3K miles.

PU is excellent oil.

I am not sure your dual bypass filter is helping much here. Your short trips are going to cause you to change the oil before the contaminants like iron rise to an abnormal level.

Last edited:
I like the idea of sampling prior to draining. How long was the turnaround? Also like the sample layout, looks like a good alternative to Blackstone. Was it expensive? TBN included?

Oil was not changed! Good for him!

However, even a UOA this early is a bit premature. I guess for the "fun of knowledge" would be an acceptable emotional response.

With that lube and set up, I'd expect a LONG OCI just to even hope to hit the break even ROI.

I did actually open the airbox in the first 1k unfortunately.

The FIL4077 is $13.99 at NAPA and includes testing, with TBN. All you pay is postage. I send mine in a USPS flat rate envelope for about $6. I sent one with stamps on it once, and it took over a month to get there. I usually get results within 2 weeks of mailing.

I have a Fumoto valve in my oil pan which makes sampling easy. I got the "N" model that has a 3/8" nipple on it, and I always keep a piece of plugged hose on it to keep dirt out.

Two things I am going to be interested in seeing; what the top up oil does to the TBN, and what effect the bottle of Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner I used immediately after taking the sample has on wear metal readings.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

However, even a UOA this early is a bit premature. I guess for the "fun of knowledge" would be an acceptable emotional response.

With that lube and set up, I'd expect a LONG OCI just to even hope to hit the break even ROI.

I plan on doing regular UOA's just to keep an eye on things. I am curious about TBN depletion rate.

Interested on the tbn as well...

Maybe to be factory clean eats a little bit off the length of the protection....

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Originally Posted By: Gabe
Why are you running the crazy short OCI??

Seriously. This is short even with dino.

Apologies.

Thanks for doing and posting the UOA.

I see you sent the oil to the ALS lab in Georgia. Does the 4077 kit have the option for any other locations you could send the oil sample to?

Only concern is the Silicon level seems a tad high, the TBN is fine as it always takes an initial plunge before a slow decline and it's only down to half of the VOA figure so far. Not much point sampling befor 5K miles in most cases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I plan on doing regular UOA's just to keep an eye on things. I am curious about TBN depletion rate.

As you stretch out the OCI, and you UOA along the way, you need to check both TBN and TAN. TBN is only half the story. Low TBN does not automatically infer condemnation. Only when the TAN goes high and TBN is low is there a cause for concern.

As you stretch out the OCI, and you UOA along the way, you need to check both TBN and TAN. TBN is only half the story. Low TBN does not automatically infer condemnation. Only when the TAN goes high and TBN is low is there a cause for concern.

Which labs do TBN and TAN for free or a low extra price? Blackstone charge 10 extra for TBN and another 10 extra for TAN, making it a total cost of 45 dollars.

I'm not extending my own OCI until I can get an EP oil filter that will last 30K km and there should be a new one available from Bosch later this year, then I will want to do a better check on my oil, including a possible particle count comparison of the new EP oil filter.

Originally Posted By: skyship

Which labs do TBN and TAN for free or a low extra price? Blackstone charge 10 extra for TBN and another 10 extra for TAN, making it a total cost of 45 dollars.

I'm not extending my own OCI until I can get an EP oil filter that will last 30K km and there should be a new one available from Bosch later this year, then I will want to do a better check on my oil, including a possible particle count comparison of the new EP oil filter.

Toromont CAT in Canada does them both for free.

Nobody but your friends and relatives do anything for free; even that might be pushing it a bit at times ...

What might be fair to say is that you have choices. Some UOA services charge extra for TBN TAN, while some include the tests in the up-front costs. But NONE of them do it for "free".

Nobody but your friends and relatives do anything for free; even that might be pushing it a bit at times ...

What might be fair to say is that you have choices. Some UOA services charge extra for TBN TAN, while some include the tests in the up-front costs. But NONE of them do it for "free".

Fair enough
wink.gif

Though with Toromont, you have to request them to be done. They don't do them unless you ask. But asking doesn't cost you anything additional over the base amount.

Last year Local NAPA wanted $19.95 for the kit so I went online and found them on sale for $7 each. Bought several to keep tabs mainly on my Can Am and have been satisified with them. Not as fast as Blackstone, but much cheaper. Like OP, I've found that putting it in a brown mailer gets faster service for some reason.

Last edited:
Chevrofreak,

Thanks for sharing here. I will be watching with interest.

I think you are wise for sampling soon following this installation. As you may be aware, there were a few isolated cases years ago of folks having bearing wear issues, most likely from flow issues using earlier versions of these units. Your numbers look great, so no worries!

If I may inquire, did you use thread sealant with installation of this unit? Is this the first fill since the install? That may be an explanation as to a source of the silicon, and would also probably cause a hit to the TBN with this initial fill here. Just thought I'd put that out there.

I hope to see more of your reports. I think they will be very interesting.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back