Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 in 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Mileage on car: About 75K
Typical OCI 7.5K to 10K
Location: Raleigh suburb in North Carolina with hot summers and cold winters
Drive pattern: 130 mile round trip runs 3 days a week with city driving rest of the days. So while the car does see engine start stops on the road, they are not as frequent as with city only driving.
Typical Load in car: 2-3 adults
Spec Oil by manufacturer: 0w20

I am running the last of my TGMO 0w20 stock in the car. I have a lot of stock of the gray 5qt bottle of Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 SN from back when Walmart was clearing it off online (~2015).

I am thinking of switching to the PU 5w20 gray bottle in the 2012 camry hybrid for summer so that I can use up the stock in the next few years.

Questions:
1. Anyone tried the Ultra 5w-20 in the >2012 TCH?
2. Can I go the full 10K interval on the Ultra 5W-20 in the TCH given that it is a synthetic, or should I do 5K or 7.5K? Note that I am not asking whether PU 5w20 can do 10K OCIs in general but rather will it do a 10K OCI in a hybrid car that specs 0w20. In other words viscosity and shear stability in a hybrid application over a 10K OCI?

I will be switching back to TGMO/M1EP 0w-20 in winters, so the questions above are for summer application only.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I went 17.2k on my Fusion on my last fill of PUP 5W20, and averaged about 1.03ppm iron per 1K. TBN was still fine. In my application I feel the sweet spot is around 15k cause there was some funky stuff in the filter can, but the filter also sat for 3 months before being cut open. I'd feel perfectly safe at 10k in your application, PUP is a great oil.

You can search my threads about several PUP UOAs that were all good enough there was not much discussion because they were so boring.

Thanks!
smile.gif

5W-20 should be fine in Raleigh area, year 'round. A little south of you, I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in a Toyota for which they also specified 0W-20.

Pretty sure the older version of PUP 5W20 was regarded on here better then the new GTL base PUP. Dont hold me to that -- anyways -- no problem running that oil year round for 10,000 OCIs.

Dale

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
You should have no problem running Ultra 5W20 year round with a 10Kmi OCI.

Agreed; with a record low temperature in Raleigh of -9°F(-23°C), a 5w20 will not even be close to lowest usable temperature.

Can I go the full 10K interval on the Ultra 5W-20 in the TCH given that it is a synthetic, or should I do 5K or 7.5K? Note that I am not asking whether PU 5w20 can do 10K OCIs in general but rather will it do a 10K OCI in a hybrid car that specs 0w20. In other words viscosity and shear stability in a hybrid application over a 10K OCI?

If the Ultra 0w20 can do 10K OCI, then the Ultra 5w20 is just as capable. The only reason Toyota gives shorter OCIs on 5w20 is because 5w20 can made in the cheaper conventional oil and 0w20 cannot. So they figure things on the cheapest 5w20 and the cheapest 0w20.

Originally Posted By: NH73
Can I go the full 10K interval on the Ultra 5W-20 in the TCH given that it is a synthetic, or should I do 5K or 7.5K? Note that I am not asking whether PU 5w20 can do 10K OCIs in general but rather will it do a 10K OCI in a hybrid car that specs 0w20. In other words viscosity and shear stability in a hybrid application over a 10K OCI?

If the Ultra 0w20 can do 10K OCI, then the Ultra 5w20 is just as capable. The only reason Toyota gives shorter OCIs on 5w20 is because 5w20 can made in the cheaper conventional oil and 0w20 cannot. So they figure things on the cheapest 5w20 and the cheapest 0w20.

Yes, you can go the full 10k on PUP 5w20 in your car
thumbsup2.gif

Toyota says 5k with dino, 10k with synthetic.

Originally Posted By: NH73
... The only reason Toyota gives shorter OCIs on 5w20 is because 5w20 can made in the cheaper conventional oil and 0w20 cannot. So they figure things on the cheapest 5w20 and the cheapest 0w20.
That, and also the fact that they're required to encourage you to use the same viscosity grade they used for EPA testing, which was 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back